Fun with Oximeter! (home sleep study)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cmizeur

Fun with Oximeter! (home sleep study)

Post by cmizeur » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 pm

Hello all!

Found this forum from related site cpapauction.com where I just posted an Oximeter for sale (Masimo Radical), aka Pulse-Ox. This device measures the oxygen saturation in your blood.

Oxygen saturation is probably the single-most important metric used in diagnosing sleep apnea. This is the finger probe with red LED, for those who have experienced it. The sleep technicians or doctor looks for what are called desaturation events, which is quantified by a drop in O2 levels by 4 percentage points within a 3-minute window. The number of desats per hour is roughly equal to an AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index, which is used to diagnose OSA and its severity).

An AHI of 5 (events per hour) is the minimum frequency for a sleep apnea diagnosis. AHI of 15 is the threshold for fitting a CPAP machine. 30 or over is considered severe sleep apnea.

disclaimer: I am not a medical professional but an OSA patient motivated to find some answers. I hope to share and contribute, but don't mistaken me for a doctor, lol. I am trying to keep this as simple and straight forward as possible.

I was first interested in home O2 studies so I could try multiple things much cheaper and more convenient than having multiple studies. I could try with and without my oral appliance, with and without alcohol consumption (try that at the sleep clinic!), different sleep positions, with/without cpap, and different decongestiant techniques (nasal sprays, sudafed, etc).

So anyhow, my point with this thread is to describe some of the tools one would use if self-administering an overnight O2 monitoring test. You'll need the following:

1. A Pulse Oximeter. Must be capable of storing atleast a nights-worth of data, and PC interface so you can pull the results into your computer (for analysis). Oh, you need the interface cable as well.. my Masimo Radical uses a 9-pin serial cable.

2. Analysis software. From some Google searching, I found a product called ProFox that does exactly what I want. This is professional software and carries a professional price ($500+) but I called and asked if they had any consumer versions or trial software. Fortunately they were able to provide a demonstration copy (with watermarks) for under $100. This may be an unofficial deal so YMMV.

You can view sample ProFox reports HERE.

In talking to the sales rep at ProFox, he was able to recommend some PulseOx's that were better suited for my use than others. The Masimo and Nellcor units were highly praised. I found my oximeter on ebay.. although they may be more strict now. Fortunately we have an alternative in cpapauction.com!

For those interested in a used Oximeter, I have mine up for auction here:
http://www.cpapauction.com/auction-list ... ation.html

While I'm sure this sounds like a shameless plug for my auction, I hope some of the steps and information here can be useful for others. Best of luck in your quest for answers!

remstarcpap

Re: Fun with Oximeter! (home sleep study)

Post by remstarcpap » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:17 am

Yes it does sound like a shameless plug for your auction, which doesn't even indicate a real price!

elader

Post by elader » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Seems pretty shameless. If you bothered to read anything here you would see we know all about pulse oximeters.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 pm

You know I have noticed on my forum that the spammers have become sneakier. They will post in a thread and make a comment that includes some information (that is informative) that they obviously gleaned from the web, then they try to sneak their spam websites in their signatures. Trying to get by my spam police. Fruitless endeavor on their part. My forum is small and we quickly nip it in the bud and they get banned.

Please note, I am not calling the OP in this thread a spammer. Though I would have respected him more if he merely posted a note about his unit being available at the auction and not done the lengthy sales pitch and tried to entice us with the "home study" stuff.
I can be a hard a@@ at times.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shooter

Post by shooter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't under stand why people will post an item for sale and not state the price. They set a reserve so they know darn well what they want for the item, but they expect people to guess. I wonder how many people bail out just a dollar or two under the reserve? The only conclusion I can come to is ... that they are ashamed of their real asking price.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:07 pm

shooter wrote:I don't under stand why people will post an item for sale and not state the price. They set a reserve so they know darn well what they want for the item, but they expect people to guess. I wonder how many people bail out just a dollar or two under the reserve? The only conclusion I can come to is ... that they are ashamed of their real asking price.

I agree. If someone wants X amount of dollars before they will sell it then simply start the bidding there. That way no one wastes their time. I hate reserve priced auctions. Though the devil in me sometimes says "bid $2 just to mess with things"

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cmizeur

Post by cmizeur » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:46 pm

LOL, you guys are ruthless.

I didn't mean to insult anybody with sharing my oximeter experiences. It seems this board has much more oximeter users and experience than I am used to seeing... well beyond those on talkaboutsleep, sleepnet, etc. I'll have to do some more searching here when I get a chance. I am curious to learn more about what software you guys use and other experiences or tips I might find.

I figured if I could help people understand how this device might benefit them, my auction could generate more interest. Is this site related to cpapauction.com? Not like I was linking to a rival site or anything.

One thing I learned after years in IT is that some of us with technical knowledge sometimes forget there is an audience out there with little to no understanding. I wanted my write-up to have a larger audience, and help those who were not already helping themselves.

Looking to get $400 shipped for my Radical, reserve is set at $300. I don't know what kind of traffic cpapauction.com gets, and without reserve it could be a risk. For less than my reserve I might as well keep the device. If you wanted to know my selling price, I am happy to answer. I listed on an auction site and figured I would play along with the auction thing rather than treat it as a classified ad. I think this is a nice unit for the price.

Anyhow, nice meeting you all. Looking forward to reading more on this site.

Curious2

Post by Curious2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:30 am

Let's lighten up. Information is good. I, for one, appreciated the description of how the writer does his home sleep study. I have an oximeter with memory; but the $500 price of Profox put me off. I am very interested in hearing about the lower-cost "watermark" version, and hope I can get one...

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:00 am

cmizeur wrote:LOL, you guys are ruthless. I didn't mean to insult anybody with sharing my oximeter experiences. It seems this board has much more oximeter users and experience than I am used to seeing...
Looking to get $400 shipped for my Radical, reserve is set at $300.Anyhow, nice meeting you all. Looking forward to reading more on this site.
............just another ruthless poster here.........you may have to get more creative to off load that tank you are trying to "share." My little rechargeable finger clip pulse ox is doing a great job.......think I paid about $100 for it new.......I'm up at the moment for an asthma neb. after my pulse ox alarmed me!!!! Welcome, hang around, participate but I think you are going to need a lot of luck in the sales department!!!!

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:24 am

Uh.. elg5cats, about your avitar, is that a C-Section birth of a cat? Looks kinda gross and caught my eye?
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:42 pm

OldLincoln wrote:Uh.. elg5cats, about your avitar, is that a C-Section birth of a cat? Looks kinda gross and caught my eye?
uhm, OldLincoln what is wrong with your perception My aviator is KoKo who was probably about 15 years old at the time of the photo. That is her "baby blanket" from when she was a tiny tiny kitten. It was much loved to rags. KoKo loved her blankie draped over her head to sleep or play, thus her picture playing under her blanket........No C-section, but a frequent deliverance from her blanket. I lost KoKo my heart kitty 2.5 years ago. She would have turned 20 on Tuesday. I still have two of her kittens who are 17 years old. Hope this clears out the gross!!!!

elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Sure does! Long time friends (including cats and other species) make life better. Sorry about KoKo but she knew she was loved, and loved back.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

elg5cats

Post by elg5cats » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:55 pm

OldLincoln wrote:Sure does! Long time friends (including cats and other species) make life better. Sorry about KoKo but she knew she was loved, and loved back.
So correct, may not have her anymore, but she still is a lifetime buddy!!!!

elg5cats

elader

Post by elader » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:18 pm

Curious2 wrote:Let's lighten up. Information is good. I, for one, appreciated the description of how the writer does his home sleep study. I have an oximeter with memory; but the $500 price of Profox put me off. I am very interested in hearing about the lower-cost "watermark" version, and hope I can get one...
more spam - you revived a 4 month old post to add your words of wisdom? What's that about? I sure hope you can get an oximeter too! I really hope so.

mhurley3

Post by mhurley3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:23 pm

elg5cats....
I'm with OldLincoln on this one. I've been looking at your avatar for months and I DO NOT SEE the cat. I've heard you describe it before and I DO NOT SEE it. I think I see something like a very young monkey, maybe, but not a cat. I have a cat. I know what a cat looks like. And that's no cat.