Noob problem with Comfortgel Nasal Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cajun

Noob problem with Comfortgel Nasal Mask

Post by cajun » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:15 pm

I've now worn my comfortgel nasal for 3 nights, including the one used in the sleep study. It feels comfortable enough, but in the morning I have a red mark on the bridge of my nose where the top of the mask sits. I could live with that but it also hurts a little if I touch it or crinkle my nose. I know, don't touch it or crinkle. I'm worried it may hurt worse with time if I don't do something about it.

I spoke with my DME tech today and she said the area would "get used to it" and that it wouldn't be a problem for long. She also suggested putting moleskin or a bandaid on the area or the mask itself. Any suggestions?

BML

Re: Noob problem with Comfortgel Nasal Mask

Post by BML » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:01 pm

I had the same problem. For me, a big part of the problem was adjusting the fit too tight at the nose of the bridge. Take the time to adjust your mask carefully every night. I has a tendecy to keep tihhtening the mask just a little more everytime I felt a leak. Instead, loosen it and start over. I tried a bandaid and moleskin but found that it caused more leaks. The mask didn't adhere as well, In the morning, I still have redness on the bridge of my nose. I dab on a little aloe and it really helps.

Bernard

socks349

Post by socks349 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:59 pm

My thinking is that if the nasal fit is fundamentally good, ie right geometry and size, then a relatively low seating pressure is needed to obtain a minimal leak rate. Obviously this is more of a challenge at higher pressures. But bottom line is that pressure needs to be transmitted through the pillows, not via the cartilage at the base of the nose. Agree that taking time to adjust fit is right - I've no idea why the fit doesn't stay constant, but it doesn't....

jrfoster

Post by jrfoster » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:32 pm

I also started with the Comfort Gel (some three years ago) and it gave me fairly good therapy. However, I had many of the same problems. I then found the Mirage Activa Nasal Mask and it works wonders for me. No more sore noses or red marks. The active cell technology seals the mask on comfortably so I have very few leaks even when I toss and turn during the night. I don't even have to tighten the straps since the mask automatically seals to my face once it inflates. I would recommend trying it to see if it might work better for you. The mask is the key to success in CPAP!! Good luck and happy sleeping!

Jeff

harry33

Post by harry33 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:55 pm

the comfort gell has a resizing procedure that improves the fit, see instructions
weaar mask high up on face and dont overtighten straps
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored