First night of home tx, mask leak question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

First night of home tx, mask leak question

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 24, 2009 12:01 pm

I got my machine yesterday and my first night of home treatment last night. Went surprisingly well I think despite only getting 4 1/2 hours on the machine. My fault for that. I woke up to go to bathroom and felt great. I thought it was time to get up. It was still dark outside but that is not unusual. My internal clock seems to wake me up somewhere between 5-6 AM most days. Anyway, I guess it was about 3 AM. I didn't check the time, my fault and a mistake I won't make again. I really felt so good that I thought it was later.
Ended up falling back to sleep without mask. My husband heard my snoring but thought I had taken the mask off because of problems. I told him next time that happens wake me up.

I know how to unlock the clinician menu to get to the inner settings of my machine. That is not a problem. I am getting to understand each of my choices in the menu. I do not have the software yet but will get that ordered this week.

My machine is the Respironics M series auto CPAP with C flex. Last night's settings were 6.5/12 with CFlex at 1. I was very comfortable at these settings.

For some reason I thought that I should have more information showing in the menu. I see AHI per hour, leak rate per min, 90% pressure rate. These are listed showing 7 day and 30 day average. Obviously what I saw last night would be one night. I don't see anywhere to get a daily result past last night. I don't see AI or HI results. Unless there is another trick in the menu I would assume that individual daily stats are only seen from within the software? Was I expecting too much?

Anyway, this is what I have so far with 4.5 hours showing of treatment time.
AHI 2.5
33.7 L/min leak rate
90% pressure rate of 9.5

I had some problems getting the headgear adjusted so I don't know how much of that leak rate corresponds to when I was messing with that. I had about 15 minutes with air going all over the place at times. What do I need to do to figure what is acceptable leak rate for what I use? I do not have any paperwork with the mask because it is the one the sleep lab sent me home with. Optilife Pillows with headgear.

All in all, no major hurdles and I feel good today. If I hadn't fallen back to sleep without the mask probably would feel better. No major air swallowing issues, I figured out how to unclog the ears when I swallow. I know not to go chasing numbers now because it is too early. The leak rate is the only thing that I am having trouble grasping. Could someone maybe help me out with it?
Thanks,
Brenda

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kteague

Re: First night of home tx, mask leak question

Post by kteague » Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 pm

I was waiting for someone to post the link to the vent rate charts, maybe tomorrow. That will answer your question regarding the acceptable rate for your mask/pressure. Did you receive any literature with the mask that might have it listed? But you're right - all the mask shifting leaks will affect your reported rate.

Sounds like you are off to a very good start, to be able to wake up early and still say you felt good. Sorry I can't help on the data available on the screen - I don't even try to read it because it would mean getting out the magnifying glass and moving the machine to the top of the table instead of the lower shelf. They didn't make those screens for old eyes.

Hope you get answers soon.

Kathy

ww

Post by ww » Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Welcome to cpaptalk.com. The leak rate for that mask at 10cm pressure is about 23.1, so your leak is too high or you are breathing through your mouth! Look here: http://sleepapnea.respironics.com/PDF/LeakRate.pdf
You have a good machine, but you need to buy the software to see your daily ahi or you can reset the averages daily and read only the one day rate. You can check some of my earlier posts as this was the first mask I started out with a little over a year ago and there are some hints there on this mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:10 am

ww wrote:Welcome to cpaptalk.com. The leak rate for that mask at 10cm pressure is about 23.1, so your leak is too high or you are breathing through your mouth! Look here: http://sleepapnea.respironics.com/PDF/LeakRate.pdf
You have a good machine, but you need to buy the software to see your daily ahi or you can reset the averages daily and read only the one day rate. You can check some of my earlier posts as this was the first mask I started out with a little over a year ago and there are some hints there on this mask.
Thank you for replying.
How do I reset the daily average so that I can read only daily data? Can this be done now or do I have to wait for the software? I know for a fact that while I was messing with the mask and headgear I was blowing air everywhere so the leak results for the first night are not a good starting point for any detective work about any mouth leaks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 25, 2009 6:08 am

I found how to reset the 7/30 day averages in an old post.
Copied from that post. Note I never did see it go to zero the first time I tried but when I went back to try again (thinking I may have done something wrong) I saw that the numbers were at zero. Posting these instructions again here just in case another newbie wishes to be able to see daily stats while waiting to be able to get the software.

BTW got 6.5 hours last night. Had a better handle on the initial headgear adjustments and rested quite well. I did wake up a few times but that is not unusual for me since I have some back pain issues. I noticed that my breathing was so easy I had to put my hand over the vent to see if the machine was even on. Woke up early again but this time I stayed up because we have somewhere to go early today. I can see the dark circles under my eyes fading right in front of my eyes. I feel good. Nostrils not sore at all. I want to try the Swift LT for Her when I get a chance but the Optilife seems to do me a good job for me right now.
Brenda

To reset LCD Therapy data (does NOT erase any data from SmartCard):

1. Hold down the (<-) (->) buttons while plugging in the power on the back,
wait for 2 beeps or 5 seconds, release buttons.
2. Press the (->) key and navigate to Therapy screen. (There is a minus sign in the lower right corner)
3. Press and HOLD down the (-) minus key for 5 seconds and/or until therapy data is reset to Zero.
4. Press the On/Off button to exit.

This resets all info (ahi, leak, usage, blower hours, etc) back to 0 except the blower hours visible in the clinician menu.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 am

Welcome, Brenda........

With your "git-r-done" attitude, you will do well. In fact, I predict you'll do at least "twice as well" as you're doing now. If you're happy with the system now, just wait!

You might want to consider using Lansenoh Lanolin for your nares......it helps the seal....and softens the nose. Good stuff....highly recommended. Find it in the drugstore among the "nursing mom" items.

Gerald

joycion

Post by joycion » Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 am

I have found that the data on the LED screen does not always correspond to the smart card data. From what I have read on this site, the smart card data is the more reliable of the two. I am not sure why there is such a discrepancy. For example, the smart card data shows that the best average leak session that I have had was 47.0. On the LED display,it states that my average 7 day leak rate is 36.
Now I am going to set LED to 0 every day and closely monitor the discrepancy between the smart card data and display.
Any thoughts on the wide range of discrepancies?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 26, 2009 5:18 am

Okay, I reset therapy data to zero so that I could get daily stats instead of 7 day average. This morning I get 6.5 hours of therapy showing but my AHI and leak rates are showing zero. Now, I know I am doing well but I won't kid myself that I am doing that well. What did I do wrong? Any ideas anyone? I don't have the 90% pressure rate showing either. Only new therapy hours.

How annoying. I will try to get the software ordered today. I do feel great today. Thank you to everyone who offered support and suggestions. I will get the stuff for my nostrils to ward off soreness but so far no soreness yet.
Brenda