Tempur-Pedic mattress

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Tempur-Pedic mattress

Post by rested gal » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:39 pm

On the second page of another topic: Aug 05, 2005 subject: ? for SleeplessLI...swift lines
a Guest poster was contemplating a Tempur-Pedic bed for an incontinent family member, and had questions about whether an additional waterproof cover would interfere with the way Tempur-Pedic foam works. Rock 'n Roll is definitely the fabric/foam/furniture expert and answered it well. I'm offering this only as firsthand experience with the kind of situation Guest described.

During my father's last several months he was completely bedridden. Could not even turn over. Thanks to several wonderful care-givers and the fact that his three daughters all lived within a mile or two around, we were able to keep my dad living happily in his own home for the final three years after a massive stroke felled him. (He died a few months ago at age 83.)

When no amount of round-the-clock turning him could completely prevent bed sores (get one under control, another started) I took a look at a Tempur-Pedic bed for him. I had a LOT of questions about it, since my dad was incontinent. He was using a catheter, but still... anything could happen.

We got the Tempur-Pedic bed for him and an extremely thin, flexible separate waterproof cover recommended specifically to work with it.

What a marvel the Tempur-Pedic bed proved to be for my dad. The bedsores immediately began to heal and never came back. It was no longer necessary to do round-the-clock turning. No extra turning and NO bed sores. Not one, for his entire last months.

There were several "accidents" (when catheters were changed and didn't end up where they should be) that would have soaked the mattress for sure. Luckily, the first accident was a moderate one giving us warning that one "waterproof" cover was not quite enough. We started using two together. The waterproof cover was very, very thin, so even using two of them did not interfere with the "give" of the Tempur-Pedic foam. Two protected it against a flood later.

I cannot say enough good things about a Tempur-Pedic bed. At the same time we got that bed for my father, I got one for myself. Both were the "Deluxe, Adjustable". Pure comfort.

I wish I had the name of the cover. It may very well be one of the covers that Rock 'n Roll mentioned.

The tag on the separate waterproof cover says:

Can be sterilized at 121 C (250 F)
Do not bleach, dry clean, or iron.
Machine Wash Hot (I use Warm), Tumble Dry Medium
Terry cloth: 80% Cotton and 20% Polyester.
Laminate: 100% Polyurethane, Skirt: 100% Polyester.

Here's a pretty good FAQ about Tempur-Pedic beds.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:12 pm

rested gal,

Thank you. It was me. ('Guested' myself all day long, apparently...)

It sounds as though my mom is in the exact same situation as your dad was. I am at my parents' house from 9am to 10pm 4 days a week now, and we ( also 3 daughters) have hired outside help for the rest of the time. When my son goes back to school in September I'm not sure how to cover it. Unfortunately my dad's Alzheimer's is so bad now he can no longer help care for mom. This whole situation is a heartbreaking mess with the two of them so incapacitated. I am so angry that money stands in the way of everything. I apologize for being off topic but have been utterly consumed by all this. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up and afford it and keep them out of a memory-care assisted living facility.

That settles it. I'll get the Tempurpedic bed. I'll find the waterproof covers and double them up. Knowing she will be more comfortable will be a wonderful relief.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:30 pm

OMG. Unbelievable. Sending a post about being 'guested' and got 'guested'.

Can you say, stress? Can you say, sleep-deprived? I am such a dork.

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:38 pm

Tom has a Tempra Pedic Mattress and I wake up every morning with my back hurting.

This mattress is not comfortable for me and how do I tell him I have a hard time sleeping on that mattress when he just paid it off. They are a very expensive mattress.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

sir_cumference

Post by sir_cumference » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:55 am

We've had a Tempur bed for quite a few years now and it has been wonderful!

Before being diagnosed with OSA I was (wrongly) diagnosed with CFS (ME) and a related condition called fibromyalgia which is lots and lots of terrible joint pains - which somehow seem to be linked with OSA all though I can't say how. Anyway, we splashed out on the Tempur to help with the joint pain and I can say that there is nothing better. Frequently I get very bad shoulder pain. On a normal mattress, even a soft one, the pain gets far too much to bear. But on the Tempur my shoulders and body mould into the bed with the result that the pressure on my shoulders is significantly reduced and most of the time I can sleep without any further aid. (when I need further aid I just put a pillow under my chest to relieve the pressure on the shoulders).

We really struggled at having to pay so much for the Tempur (they cost a lost less now) but since paying for it we have never regretted it. In fact, I have also purchased the travelling Tempur matress. It is thin, and not as good as a pure matress, but it really helps when having to sleep on normal matrasses when away on holiday etc.. (they even consider it medical equipment and allow it on planes - so now with my APAP and matress, the airline don't like me coming!)

One further comment, my godmother bought a Tempur matress and found that it was a lot warmer than her old matress. This is fine in winter, but she struggled a little in summer. Oh, and about back pain - sleep with the thinnest sheet you can get to cover the matress. A thick sheet will stop it working as well as it can. And, I can quite often start the night with back pain - what I do is to lie on my back with my knees up until my back feels better and then roll over and go to sleep. Thanks to APAP the starting on my back bit is now fine and I don't get a high AHI as I use to before treatment.

I don't know if this is any help - but after 6 years of use we can also say it's still as good as new and as effective as when we first got it. And, if ever we needed to replace it we wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another Tempur matress.

sir_cumference (comfortable at night)

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:30 am

Thank you, sir_cumference,

I appreciate the tip about the sheet. That's the same reason I was concerned about a waterproof barrier; that it would negate the whole point of the foam's comfort.

I'm going out today to buy a Tempurpedic. I can't wait for it to be delivered so I can see my mom in less discomfort. It will bring me comfort too...

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:35 am

Neversleeps,
I'm sure what you're doing now is bringing her comfort as well. Bad as she's feeling, it would have been worse without your caring presence.
Hang in there, and take care of yourself too.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:43 pm

ozij,

Thank you. I'd give anything to know what she's thinking; if indeed my presence is bringing her comfort. I knew she was fading, I knew this time would come, but I didn't think the moment when all communication permanently ceased would happen so abruptly. I thought I'd be able to have one last conversation with her before she disappeared completely. Now its too late. Even though she's sitting right next to me, she isn't there anymore. Her once clear brown eyes are now watered down and vacant. As I try to come to terms with this, my dad is quietly slipping away also, which is so utterly devastating to me I cannot even talk about it.

I'd like to urge everyone out there with sick and aging parents to give them a call and/or go visit them. Don't wait. When you're with them try to pay attention to every little detail; the sound of her voice, the way her eyes crinkle when she smiles, the way she says your name... and commit it all to memory. You'll never regret it.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:36 pm

Neversleeps, I wish my parents were alive so they could have grown older to see their grandson married and the two great grandsons, but my parents died at very young ages.

I have a lot of medical problems, but I have still out lived my dad by 3 years and my mom over a year.

My dad was 53 and my mom was 55.

Yes, definitely call and or write your parents. I can't do that with mine.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

lynn

Post by lynn » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:33 pm

Neversleeps, thank you for reminding us to cherish each and every moment with our loved ones. I am so very sorry about your parents. It takes a huge amount of strength to keep going, one day at a time.

We have had a Tempurpedic bed for several years and have loved it since Day One. My parents have one and feel the same way. Friends, too. They are just the best!

lynn

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:34 pm

I agree with the sentiments about our loved ones. I lost my father Xmas a year ago and I was coming home from a business trip. I was driving through west Texas and just got the feeling to call my father. I did and I also got the urge to tell him I love him, not a common occurence amongst men in my family, but I did and I am soooo glad, as he passed away in his sleep an hour later with a smile on his face at age 90. I hear so many tell of wishing they had said this and did not. I was lucky. I also call my mother every week to check on her and always end the call saying this as she is quite old as well.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:08 am

rock and roll wrote:I agree with the sentiments about our loved ones. I lost my father Xmas a year ago and I was coming home from a business trip. I was driving through west Texas and just got the feeling to call my father. I did and I also got the urge to tell him I love him, not a common occurence amongst men in my family, but I did and I am soooo glad, as he passed away in his sleep an hour later with a smile on his face at age 90. I hear so many tell of wishing they had said this and did not. I was lucky. I also call my mother every week to check on her and always end the call saying this as she is quite old as well.

R&R,

Great advice! Also for those who have kids...do the same. You will never regret it.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

yawn

Post by yawn » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:31 am

Neversleeps: I used to be very angry with my Mom because she wasn't very warm or affectionate when I was growing up. My oldest brother kept telling me that I had to let go of the anger and find a way to forgive her but I couldn't seem to do it. I HATED it when she would call...sometimes I would pretend I wasn't home so I wouldn't have to talk to her. That all changed a year ago when we almost lost her. She made a remarkable recovery and is still with us. Seeing her in the hospital so utterly helpless made me realize that I was wasting a lot of time being angry with her. She did the best she could do....nobody's perfect. I was so happy she recovered so I can now enjoy her the way I've always wanted to. She has a "knack" of ALWAYS calling at the worst possible time which used to drive me crazy. Now I just smile when the phone rings as I'm about to do something...I know it's Mom and I'm thrilled that I can talk to her. My world stops when Mom calls and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am so thankful that I was able to turn my anger around and have a wonderful relationship with my Mom.
As far as your Mom goes, I know you think she is lost to you, but you might not be totally correct. My grandmother had Alzheimers and we were all very sad about what it did to her personality. After she died, her nurse told us that she did have moments of lucidity and at those times, knew exactly what had been going on. I hope that's happening with your Mom so she'll know how much you love her and care for her. You should also talk with her and tell her how you feel regardless of whether she appears to hear you....I'm sure she hears you in her heart and knows how very much you love her.
Now, switching gears.....when we first got our Tempur-pedic bed, I loved it but my husband hated it. He woke up with backaches every day for at least a week. Luckily, he somehow adjusted and the backaches disappeared. You will probably also find that the mattress is much warmer than a conventional mattress. It tooks us awhile to get used to that. My brother and sister-in-law were the 1st people I knew with a TP mattress. They bought it because my sister-in-law had sever OA in her hip..she was basically bone-on-bone and was in terrible pain. The TP mattress helped her tremendously. Eventually she got her hipped replaced and is doing very well. I hope this mattress works out for your Mom.
Take care..Amy

elliejose

Post by elliejose » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:03 pm

Can someone tell me, for those of us who might not be able to afford a tempurpedic right now, which one of the copies might be a good alternative?

Or would it just be better to wait and save up enough for the Tempurpedic?

I have hip, leg and feet, problems, worse on the left side. I have always thought that one of these mattresses may really help, because night is one of the times when I am in the most pain.

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:24 pm

Neversleeps,
I was so moved by your story, it leaves me speechless (and this is something that rarely happens, if ever). Sounds like your mom is a fantastic woman and raised a great person in you. Regardless if she is able to speak your name or communicate with you now, rest assured she knows how much you love her.
I am blessed to have two parents, who just moved away from me in NY last July of 2004 to Florida (where else?), both in their seventies, who I hope live to be a hundred. My mom has Parkinsons now for about eight years, but has been told it probably will never progress any further than it is right now, which is not that awful. Dad is 77, but, for all intents and purposes, gets around like he's still 27. I thank God every day that they are still here with us. Dad has a habit now of turning a story that should take one minute into a mini-series. When I start to become impatient, I remind myself how one day I will long to be able to hear his voice speaking to me about anything at all.
Your mother is blessed to have a child that cares so much about her and is standing by her at a time when she needs you the most. You are obviously a very warm and caring person and I'm sure I speak for everyone on this site when I say, we wish you the best and hope you know your presence is making your mother's life now a better place. God be with you both.
L o R i