OptiLife

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LinkC

OptiLife

Post by LinkC » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Just got one to try. It's comfortable and makes a great seal, but even with C-flex on "3", I have a hard time exhaling thru my nose against the pressure.

Is 16cm pressure too much for a nasal-pillow mask?

Should I be breathing out thru my mouth? (I hope not because taping/strapping might necessary. I tend to mouth breathe.)

Or maybe a nasal-pillow just isn't right for me...

Any advice/thoughts/tips?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

bdp522

Re: OptiLife

Post by bdp522 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm

No, you shouldn't breathe out through your mouth. Give it a few nights( a week is better) and see how you like it. Some people just don't like or do well with a nasal mask. I happen to like the optilife very much and find it very comfortable but I am at a lower pressure. If after a week you still don't like it or have trouble exhaling, you might want to try another nasal pillow mask to see if it's the nasal pillows or just the opti you have trouble with.
Another thought, what size pillows are you using? Maybe try another size?

Brenda

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm not done experimenting w/the OptiLife yet. So far I've used only the cradle cushion (nose cushion) rather than the nasal pillows. I have definitely found that the OptiLife seems to be allowing MORE pressure than my Simplicity simple nasal cushion. Probably close to 2 cms more pressure is what it feels like. I have no idea WHY that should be.

I've also found that the chin stabilizer is just that, a stabilizer for the mask and does NOT work (nor do I think it was intended to) as a chin strap. Maybe just because I cannot pull the chin stabilizer strap short enough for me. But I'm pretty sure it was just meant as a headgear stabilizer, not a chin strap.

I LOVE its lightweight! I LOVE nothing between forehead and nose. I'll be playing around w/it some more, including trying the nasal pillows - and then I'll go to work on that chin stabilizer, maybe even cutting it out altogether and using my lightweight basic white Respironics (PN 302175) chin strap as a headgear stabilizer AND chin strap.

I've also been experimenting w/the Swift LT - another lightweight, nothing between forehead and nose, nasal pillows mask I' kinda like tho haven't mastered yet.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

jda1000

Post by jda1000 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I've got one; I didn't get past trying it on. I simply could not exhale; I couldn't find anything wrong with it. It was sent by the RT based on my saying my leak rate was a little high - no other reason that I know of, and no attempt to discuss or resolve things that might cause leaks....my leakage rate, by the way, seems to have dropped. Not sure why - I did all I was advised to do, here, and it stayed up for several nights, then dropped. It's running about 0.2, 0.3 L/s.

Could be a lack of scientific rigor caused me to miss some subtle adjustment.

Has anyone tried returning unwanted unused equipment to their DME for a refund? I just got a bill for my unused Optilife; I don't have the amount, but I think my portion was around $105....
Machine: Resmed Autoset II
Humidifier: Resmed H4i
Mask: Mirage Ultra

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 pm

I first tried the Med pillow. The smaller holes made it very difficult to exhale. I switched to Lg and breathing was easier...seal is great with either.

I may tape tonight...or "labrat" a chinstrap. I have some Velcro elastic straps in the garage. I'm pretty sure I won't keep my mouth closed when I fall asleep.

$105??????? Yikes. I paid $39.50 total on cpapauction. (It may go back there as "used one night" tomorrow...lol)

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 pm

H*ll, if it is comfortable and worth sticking w/a while I'd just drop my CPAP pressure 1 cm and try again. If that didn't quite cut the mustard I'd drop the pressure another 1 cm and then maybe work my way back up to where it was comfortable and data was good .5 cms at a time.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

junie

Post by junie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:24 pm

I've had mine for about a couple weeks now I really like it it's not heavy on top of my head I just started like two days ago
having the same problem, I thought it was my new meds. because the Dr. told me that was one of the signs not being
able to breath I been on my new meds. for about three days now, plus I already have asthma I take two different
types of inhalers a day. tonight I'm going to try a bigger size nasal pillow, my pressure is on #9. c-flex is on #2, and
I keep the humidifier on #2, but for the last two days the weather been in the 70's So who knows what is going on with me.

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

ww

Post by ww » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:21 pm

I had to use the larger nasal pillows to breathe comfortable through the OptiLife nasal pillow mask. I could never overcome mouth leaks and finally switched to a Small Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask which works infinitely better for me than the OptiLife. The DME liked the OptiLife because they were inexpensive.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:20 am

Optilife is the life for me!!!

Despite my daytime try-on and problem exhaling, I tried again last night. After 5 mins I didn't even notice the backpressure (I DID have the c-flex on max!). But it was quieter, lighter, nothing on the nose bridge, and I could wear my reading glasses. My nostrils aren't even sore, as I assumed they would be.

I found it's important to use the clip on the long tube to anchor it and keep the assembly in place. I don't usually wear a shirt to bed, but once my nipple went numb, I slept like a baby! ;>

Not sure if I slept better, or am more oxygenated; but I felt really energized when I got up this morning. (Until I got to work, of course. That's always a buzz-kill!)

But I'm sold on nasal pillows, and particularly the Optilife.

Some of you mentioned you also had trouble with the backpressure. You might want to give it another try and hang in there 5-10 minutes. That made all the difference with me... YMMV.

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 am

I'm glad that is working for you. I use 15# pressure with my optilife and love it. I hate how the straps to the headgear stretch out and I use the papcap with a chin strap b/c I'm a mouth breather and that helps although it was designed for someone with a larger head than mine.

If anyone is selling or trading small optilife pillows please contact me - I have the others unused, most still in their plastic bags.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:52 am

Hello LinkC--glad you stuck with it!!! I'm sold on nasal pillows, and particularly the SWIFT LT for her and the Optilife. I have used the OPTI LIFE before I got my Swift LT. It is a wonderful thing to not have all that head gear on your forehead and face!! I can watch TV and even read with it on. You might want to go ahead and change your profile as you have The Comfort Gel mask still listed there. Even though I use the Swift LT --my Opti Life is hanging right by it for a back up. Enjoy!!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

MurphysLaw

Post by MurphysLaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Subject: OptiLife
Slinky wrote:I'm not done experimenting w/the OptiLife yet. So far I've used only the cradle cushion (nose cushion) rather than the nasal pillows.

I've also been experimenting w/the Swift LT - another lightweight, nothing between forehead and nose, nasal pillows mask I' kinda like tho haven't mastered yet.
Slinky and anyone else who can chime in,

I've been using the Optilife for about 9 months but I can't get the leak rate where I want it to be, maybe because my nares are slotted and unequal sizes.

Could you tell me a little about the Optilife nasal cushions? Do the nasal cushions fit the same way as the nasal pillows, meaning if you use a small pillow, do you use a small cushion? I might consider giving them a try.

Also, the Swift LT--do the sizes on the Swift compare to the sizes of the Optilife? Truthfully, I think I'm between and petite and a small on the Optilife but I'm wondering if the Swift might be a better fit for me.

It would be great to hear If anyone knows how the pillow sizes of the Optilife compare to the Swift LT. Same? Slightly larger? Slightly smaller?

Lynne

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 pm

The OptiLife also has what they call a "cradle cushion". It fits on the OptiLife in place of the nasal pillows. Its not like the usual nasal cushion mask. The closest would be the simple nasal cushion of the ComfortLite 2 or the Simplicity simple nasal cushion. The cushion is small and fits just the bottom half of the nose rather than at the bridge of the nose. In the case of OptiLife's "cradle cushion" it is rectangular rather than the usual triangle shape and it fits over just the end of the nose. And it comes in 3-4 sizes. I forget just how many sizes. My OptiLife came w/the S and M size cradle cushion and the S and M nasal pillows but then I had used the OptiLife cradle cushion during an in-lab titration study so I specifically asked for the cradle cushion. I see that cpap.com sells it separately from the OptiLife itself whereas I had assumed that the 2 sizes of cradle cushion and 2 sizes of nasal pillows came "standard" w/the OptiLife.

MurphysLaw

Post by MurphysLaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks, Slinky. I think I'm going to do a little more research and seriously consider the nasal cushions for the Optilife. I'm also getting the urge to try the Swift LT, given its popularity on this board.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Murphyslaw--I love the Swift LT--you really cannot go wrong in trying it. The Opti life nasal pillows are about the same size as the Swift Pillows but are made a little bit different. One thing that annoyed me about the Opti Life was how stiff the connecting hose is --totally not flexible at all. But both masks are great products like Slinky said. I have the 2 sizes of nasal cushion--small and medium. Along with the petite and the small nasal pillows. The sizes run about the same. My nares are more rounded and about the same size, so I have not had any leak problems with either mask.

One other thing--the Swift LT for HER Version--comes with Petite, small and medium nasal pillows so you might want to select the "for her" version.

Good Luck!!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14