Received a new machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wlenz

Received a new machine

Post by wlenz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 pm

I visited my sleep doc a few weeks ago and built a case for a better machine. I had a Respironics M Series Bi-PAP and although my sleep improved, it was not as good as it should be. Last night, my DME was waiting at my doorstep with a new machine. The label on the bottom is a little confusing to me.
The 1st label has:
REMstar Auto M Series
Model # 510M
Flow Generator VER3

The 2nd label has:
M Series
REMstar BiPAP

Anyway, I requested an Auto BiPAP and this should be an improvement, plus there is a smart card supplied with it. My goal is to start charting and making necessary adjustments to improve my sleep. A card reader and software will be my next purchase.
If anyone has a copy of the Clinician's Manual, I would greatly appreciate a copy.
As always, thanks to all on this forum.
Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

jules

Re: Received a new machine

Post by jules » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:48 pm

check your model number on this page

http://encore.respironics.com/type.aspx

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm

wlenz wrote:I visited my sleep doc a few weeks ago and built a case for a better machine. I had a Respironics M Series Bi-PAP and although my sleep improved, it was not as good as it should be. Last night, my DME was waiting at my doorstep with a new machine. The label on the bottom is a little confusing to me.
The 1st label has:
REMstar Auto M Series
Model # 510M

Flow Generator VER3

The 2nd label has:
M Series
REMstar BiPAP

Anyway, I requested an Auto BiPAP and this should be an improvement, plus there is a smart card supplied with it. My goal is to start charting and making necessary adjustments to improve my sleep. A card reader and software will be my next purchase.
If anyone has a copy of the Clinician's Manual, I would greatly appreciate a copy.
As always, thanks to all on this forum.
Bill
Hate to break the news to you, Bill, but they didn't give you a Bi-PAP (Auto or otherwise). They gave you an Auto CPAP.
If it doesn't SAY "Bi-PAP" on the top of it......it's not one of those.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Somebody may have messed up the labels.
If the LCD has BIFLEX, you'll know its a BIPAP
If it has AFLEX or CFLEX you'll know it is not a BIPAP.

Ditto if you have (or don't have) IPAP and EPAP on the LCD.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 pm

wlenz wrote: The 2nd label has:
M Series
REMstar BiPAP
This 2nd label is confusing but IS for trademark names which are Remstar |or| Bipap.
The Respironics have it all written in white lettering across the top of the machine. If it don't say it there - you ain't got it.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Hate to break the news to you, Bill, but they didn't give you a Bi-PAP (Auto or otherwise). They gave you an Auto CPAP.
If it doesn't SAY "Bi-PAP" on the top of it......it's not one of those.

Den
I have been searching for information on this machine and have a feeling that it is an older model. The top of the machine is labeled: REMstar Auto M SERIES | A-Flex

The bottom label has:
M Series
REMstar | BiPAP

I was titrated for 15 cm / 9 cm h2o, and I asked for an auto BiPAP. There appears to be sufficient exhalation relief, but if they provided the wrong machine, I want to be certain before starting a war.
I checked the site provided above and the M510 is not listed.
Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:31 pm

What do you see on the display screen?
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:40 pm

The initial screen says Respironics. Stepping through the menus gives me a choice of "CPAP" or "AUTO". So, it appears that my DME gave me the wrong machine.

Ogden Nash

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:12 pm

wlenz wrote:The initial screen says Respironics. Stepping through the menus gives me a choice of "CPAP" or "AUTO". So, it appears that my DME gave me the wrong machine.
Yes. That's a wrong machine.

Do you have your doctors Rx, or letter to the DME? Does it say BIPAP auto ?

Tell the DME /Doctors office that you don't have separate IPAP and EPAP on the machine, and you want and automatic machine that does have those.

The DME is reimbursed far more for a BIPAP than for a regular auto. That second label is either a very bad error made by someone - or much worse.

Before I called anyone, I'd take a photo of those two labels on the machine, and make a copy of the Rx. Once I got the right machine, I'd register a complaint wherever such complaints should be registered. And send it to Respironics, with copies of the Rx - if the Rx contains the words BIPAP or BILEVEL.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jules

Post by jules » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:19 pm

you got a 510 - REMstar Auto with A-Flex

you want the "700" - BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex

REMstar Auto with A-Flex DS510S, DS510HS
BiPAP Plus with Bi-Flex DS600*, DS600H*
BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex DS700S, DS700HS

ignore the letters - it is the numbers that count on this -- the M at the end on the machine means model or m series I assume, the S at the end of the part numbers means smart card, the HS means smart card and humidifier

http://bipapautomseries.respironics.com/Parts.aspx

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:47 am

Bill, if you'll PM me your email address, I'll send you the Provider manuals for both machines...the REMstar Auto with A-flex M series machine that they gave you by mistake (in case you want to go ahead and use that machine to see how it feels before they pick it up) and for the BiPAP Auto with Bi-flex M series machine you had requested.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:48 am

GumbyCT wrote:
wlenz wrote: The 2nd label has:
M Series
REMstar BiPAP
This 2nd label is confusing but IS for trademark names which are Remstar |or| Bipap.
The Respironics have it all written in white lettering across the top of the machine. If it don't say it there - you ain't got it.
Must be my English!

;)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:46 am

wlenz wrote:I was titrated for 15 cm / 9 cm h2o, and I asked for an auto BiPAP. There appears to be sufficient exhalation relief, but if they provided the wrong machine, I want to be certain before starting a war.
I checked the site provided above and the M510 is not listed.
Bill
Bill,
It's not what you were titrated at but what the doc wrote on the script. You need to start there before you leap. If the script says Aflex all you can to is talk to doc.

If it says Bipap you can file a complaint with the licensing authority. But I would be inclined to find another DME if this proved true.

;)

jules

Post by jules » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 am

Bill had a bipap plus. He does need to carefully check the new script.

If the doc just wrote apap or auto, then the DME can bill the insurance for a new machine as this is a change in treatment.

If the new script indicated bilevel need, then the DME can balk and say the existing machine (Bipap plus) meets that.

If the new script specifically indicates Bipap Auto then there can still be a fight with insurance on paying for a new machine.

Bill didn't say that the DME asked for the new machine back yet. Also interesting.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:31 pm

jules wrote:Bill had a bipap plus. He does need to carefully check the new script.

If the doc just wrote apap or auto, then the DME can bill the insurance for a new machine as this is a change in treatment.

If the new script indicated bilevel need, then the DME can balk and say the existing machine (Bipap plus) meets that.

If the new script specifically indicates Bipap Auto then there can still be a fight with insurance on paying for a new machine.

Bill didn't say that the DME asked for the new machine back yet. Also interesting.
My original script was written April 2008 for a BiPAP Plus. My sleep was better, but not as good as it should be. I had a regularly scheduled visit with the doc in November and he wrote a script for an auto BiPAP. When the DME called to arrange for their person to deliver the unit, I suspected that the model he quoted was Auto APAP. I refused to accept the machine and called the docs office to make certain the script was for Auto BiPAP. The nurse faxed an accurate script for an Auto BiPAP. The DME called to make arrangements to deliver and I asked if it was Auto BiPAP and they confirmed that it is. The tech that showed up at my door also confirmed that it is Auto BiPAP. I asked him what the IPAP and EPAP were set for. He said 14/9 cm h2o. I trusted him and the DME, my mistake. It turns out that the Auto Max is 14 and Auto Min is 9. BTW, my insurance is renting the machine on a monthly basis. Not sure how long, maybe forever? So it should not be a big problem to swap machines. For the record, the DME wanted to deliver the machine, then bill the insurance company. They also wanted me to guarantee payment if the insurance did not pay. I suggested pre-authorization and the DME prefers to deliver, then bill. I called the insurance company, talked to a nice gentleman, and agreed that the DME should call them first. He also mentioned that my diagnosis code was ok for an Auto BiPAP. If you suspect that I am not happy with this DME, you are Right On.
Bill

Ogden Nash