Is there any "attractive" CPAP equipment out there?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
san_fran_gal

Is there any "attractive" CPAP equipment out there?

Post by san_fran_gal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:16 am

Hi,

This is my first posting to this great forum. I was dx a few months ago with mild to moderate apnea (only a few apneas all night, mostly RERAs and some hypopneas) and I have the "jimmy legs," with about 300 PLMs per night. About 17 of those cause an arousal apparently. (I have low ferritin, so we're working on increasing iron intake.) I also have about 220 spontaneous arousals. Oh boy! It's a miracle I'm not very tired during the day, most of the time. I think exercising helps.

Unfortunately my APAP machine and I haven't gotten along, the nasal masks have caused me to be chipmunk cheeked before the air explodes out of my mouth, and I haven't gotten more than one or two minutes of sleep before "waking up" with a choking, suffocating sensation that makes my heart race and me tear off my mask. Fun times! I gave up until I was able to get a titration study.

Tonight, after a titration study a couple of weeks ago, and after setting my machine to 8, and a new full face mask, I am about to try again. I may take an ambien to help me through! (At the lab it took 2 seconds before sleep onset, thanks to Ambien!) Wish me luck! I really want to this to work!

This leads me to a completely shallow-sounding question: When will the manufacturers of CPAPs and chin straps and all those doohickeys start making some equipment that's relatively attractive, especially for women and others who like more hip design? It would sure seem less medical and "manly" if my CPAP machine weren't industrial gray. I could go for a cool color on my mask, too. I was using a chin strap for a while that was black, and I know they come in red and blue, but how about a cool brown with pink circles, or something more hip? I know that in the dark it all looks alike, but if I have to have this blasted stuff at my bedside or on my head, it would sure be nice if it could be less hospital-ish. ResMed? Respironics? Fisher & Paykel? Anyone care to start making gear for women, who are probably starting to make up a good part of your clients?
And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dah
l

Snoredog

Re: Is there any "attractive" CPAP equipment out there?

Post by Snoredog » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:21 am

you might swing by our host cpap.com, they have pictures of most of everything.

https://www.cpap.com/

You can put a towel over it, put it under your bed, in a drawer etc.

as for a mask? this one really makes a fashion statement:
Last edited by Snoredog on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

PhiloHypnos

Post by PhiloHypnos » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:09 am

This leads me to a completely shallow-sounding question: When will the manufacturers of CPAPs and chin straps and all those doohickeys start making some equipment that's relatively attractive, especially for women and others who like more hip design?
My sentiments exactly!

And that applies to us blokes too! As an available young man I'm quite concerned about the "ew yuck" turn-off factor my cpap mask may have on any of the pretty girls I will be trying to court!

A message in a bottle to CPAP makers out there! Come on guys... add some coolness factor to the designs, how about something that looks more like this!!! :

Or, even better, this!

I mean, common! If I'm gonna have a long tubular trunk sticking out of my nose, might as well make me look evil-cool!

lol! I think I've found my new avatars!

funny... I remember how, as a child, I dreamt of being a fighter pilot because I loved the look of the masks... wanted one so bad...
Well, I've got my very own "fighter pilot mask" now! Only, its not really what I had in mind...

arkein

Edit: wow snoredog, that mask is quite cool! seems to be a definite solution to mouth and mask leaks! only place left to leak out of with that is the ears, lol! Wonder how humidifier rain out feels like in that...

Last edited by PhiloHypnos on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

john_dozer

Post by john_dozer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:20 am

I think they just came out with a version of the Swift LT for women. So things are starting to turn. Personally I'd like them to keep working on the physical customization and not the appearance.

However, I have to say, RESMED & Respironics CPAP equipment looks like its from the late 50's to early 70's. I guess when you consider a block of their customers are the elderly, perhaps that's the explanation.

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:40 am

Hi - What about "GLOW IN THE DARK" fabric with modern designs ?

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:45 am

arkein wrote:And that applies to us blokes too! As an available young man I'm quite concerned about the "ew yuck" turn-off factor my cpap mask may have on any of the pretty girls I will be trying to court!
You need to stop wearing your mask on dates!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 am

san_fran_gal wrote:This leads me to a completely shallow-sounding question: When will the manufacturers of CPAPs and chin straps and all those doohickeys start making some equipment that's relatively attractive, especially for women and others who like more hip design?
Whatdaya mean?

Respironics machines have their cool blue lights.

Resmed machines have the blue trim and sexy aerodynamic shape.

Wrap your hose up with a Snuggle cover in a color of your choice... they come in a variety of cool colors.

Use the PadaCheek headgear strap covers... they also come in several cool designs & colors.

Mask is boring? Get imaginative and setup a pinstripe design on it, cover it with stickers.. go with a NASCAR theme... I hear those stickers are good for 10 horsepower each.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 am

CPAP masks are medical devices, not fashion accessories. Mask manufacturers are going after a neutral look; most masks are made of transparent plastic, the silicone is a colorless translucent silicone, and the headgear is a colorless gray. Colorless items tend to blend into the background. Unless they happen to match or go with the color of the background, colorful items stick out and potentially clash with the background. If there were a choice of colors, it is likely that few DMEs would carry just a few of the colors and they would probably either not carry or be out of the color you want.

As was mentioned earlier, Padacheeks can be used to add color to the straps, and sleeves can be used to change the color of the hose. CPAP equipment can also be covered or put away during the day.

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 am

Cool looking is in the eyes of the beholder...seems to me the further they get from neutral colors, the more they narrow their customer base. Wouldn't a beige or gray machine blend in better in more people's bedroom than a brown machine with pink circles? I agree with the others...get creative and decorate your machine if you want. If I was a machine manufacturer, I wouldn't be going for chic anytime soon.

boston

Post by boston » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 am

Id rather them spend their money on Research and development to make better equipment, than on test marketing and focus groups of what color hose would you buy, or what style head gear goes best with your curtains. I understand the complaint that our bedrooms have been turned into hospital rooms, and more attractive styles could help some people be less self conscience about it, but if it bothered me, i'd get a nightstand with a drawer, get a longer hose, put equipment in drawer, open the drawer at night, close it in the morning. problem solved.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:22 am

san_fran_gal wrote: Anyone care to start making gear for women, who are probably starting to make up a good part of your clients?
SFgal, I am not of the womanly persuasion, but I like to have aesthetically pleasing
cpap equipment, too.
Check out Bret's Papcaps at:

http://www.pur-sleep.com/
and
PC's stuff at:

http://www.padacheek.com/

Both these products are not only functional but add some personality
to your equipment.....especially the equipment that you get up close
and personal with.

As we speak, I am watching the convienent post box at the end of
my driveway for my new bright blue w/stars hose cover. That is going
to go very nicely my bright blue w/stars forehead pad and Vger Papcap2.
I see the stars and Milky Way, everynight, in my Papcap, as I get hosed
up and it just puts me in the mood for a journey into the abyss.

Call it what you will,
I'm with you,
anything that you can do to make your therapy work,
go for it.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

skittles

Post by skittles » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 am

I like the idea of stickers - easy on. easy off, and you can change them to whatever fits your personality.

When our dog had surgery and had to wear a "cone", my daughter who is a vet decorated hers with removable stickers -- looked cute -- hmmmmmmmmmmm might give that a try tonight

Skittles
The world is full of doubt, indeed, but fuller still of hope.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 am

Not discounting the tragedy of any real possibility that there would be a population of children large enough to create the market need, I haven't seen any 'My First CPAP' kids' cpap machines marketed yet. The market is so small for cpap anyway, we'll probably never get past the single-color model of marketing for these machines.

Why not take things into your own hands?
  • Buy some phone bling rhinestones and stick 'em all over your machine.
  • Knit or crochet a cpap cozy. You could find a pattern for a tea cozy and adapt it.
  • Cover it with patches, like your old merit badges and scout troop number.
  • If you've got the equipment, how about airbrushing some cool racing lines, anime or camouflage on the sides of the box?
Computer laptop owners mod their boxes all the time. It seems like the next logical step for CPAP owners.
However, CPAP modding will probably void your warranty.

Anybody up for a modding contest?

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 am

I wonder if beta's (Siamese Fighting Fish) can be kept in a CPAP humidifier...

PhiloHypnos

Post by PhiloHypnos » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 am

Paul56 wrote:
arkein wrote:And that applies to us blokes too! As an available young man I'm quite concerned about the "ew yuck" turn-off factor my cpap mask may have on any of the pretty girls I will be trying to court!
You need to stop wearing your mask on dates!
Lol! point taken! I kinda meant to suggest the part that comes after some succesful dates..