What should I do next???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
looking4zzzz

What should I do next???

Post by looking4zzzz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm

I really need help. Leaks are killing me. The last time I posted data, it was with a Swift LT, and my leaks were terrible. I tried taping but couldn't keep it taped, even with several piece of tape, I'd wake up with the tape popped open. Then I tried a chin strap, without much improvement. Most recently (last few days) I've tried a Quattro FFM, first by itself, then last night with the Mack's silicone and with the joint teflon-taped, and my leaks are still terrible. What would you suggest next? My most recent data is:

http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/sparklyeyes17

Thanks for your input.

Snoredog

Re: What should I do next???

Post by Snoredog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:58 pm

I would:

1. Increase Minimum pressure to 9.0 cm.
2. Setup Auto:Ramp pressure at 6.5 cm to compensate for the higher pressure.
3. Setup Auto:Ramp timer=30 minutes
4. Better control leaks, if you cannot control them with a nasal mask you are mouth breathing.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:15 pm

I would:

1. Set the machine to CPAP mode at a pressure of 10.0 cm.

Your snores and leaks are driving your machine crazy during the night. It becomes a self-feeding frenzy.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Okay, I'll make the pressure changes. What else should I try to reduce the leaks? Do you think I should try another FF mask? If so, what would be your next recommendation? Thanks.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:07 pm

looking4zzzz wrote:What else should I try to reduce the leaks?
I'd try:

1. Wash and dry the face before applying tape. Be sure face is very dry.

2. Use 3M Blue Painters tape -- the 2 inch wide "Multi-Surface" kind. I use "Delicate Surface", but since you said tape comes loose for you... Use a strip long enough to extend well beyond the corners of the mouth. Be sure to fold a little bit of each end of the tape against itself to make handy "grab tabs" at each end. Suck your lips inward as much as possible when applying the tape.

3. After the tape is on, use a chin strap that goes up alongside your cheeks. That will keep the jaw from dropping down so much that it puts a strain on the tape. But mainly, the chin strap can help lessen the amount of air that detours into the mouth puffing the cheeks out. The more that the mouth fills with air and the cheeks balloon out, the more apt any tape is to give way and start leaking.

Tape + chinstrap is what I have to use to reallllllly stop mouth leaks.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

echo

Post by echo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

What RG said!! I have to use the pap-cap and tape to get the best seal. I even use the pap-cap with a full-face mask, because the jaw dropping causes the FFM to leak as well.

Sucking your lips inwards, and making sure the tape is realllly long so that it goes past the lip corners, are two very important tips. I personally prefer the 3M micropore tape (in the wide version - 1 strip placed horizontally across mouth).

It could also be that you're not suitable for a Quattro.. i hear that people usually go for one or other (Quattro vs UMFF), but not both. Something about how the mask is shaped fits some facial structures better than others. Your next bet would be to try the Liberty or the Hybrid, if you end up needing a full face. Lucky for you there are several mask test drives running.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks all. I've tried the tape and the chin strap separately, but not together. I will try that tonight and see how it goes. I'll try for a few days then report back. If that doesn't work, I will look at the Ultra Mirage FFM, the zzz mask and the hybrid $$$$$ Thanks again!!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 am

For new readers who might be wondering... "WHAT????!!!!! Put TAPE over your mouth???!!!"

LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435