OT - My dog may have sleep apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eutychus

OT - My dog may have sleep apnea?

Post by eutychus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Okay, I'm sitting here trying to get some work done and my 80 lb. Golden Retriever (Luke) is lying on the floor behind me, like he always does. Luke is snoring, and it's loud. I wonder if he has sleep apnea? I'm thinking about slapping my mask on him and titrating him to 12cm or so to see if that helps. Just kidding, of course. Not about the snoring, though. I guess I'll just sit here for a while and listen for any lapses in his breathing.

Or, maybe I'll lay down next to him and take a nap?

"Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead." (Acts 20:9)

Tcamillemars

Re: OT - My dog may have sleep apnea?

Post by Tcamillemars » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:11 pm

My mother had emphysema and was on oxygen 24/7. When her beloved elderly poodle with congestive heart failure collapsed on the kitchen floor, my mother (an R.N.) took her nasal cannula off and put it on the dog. The oxygen revived the dog, and she was able to love him for a few more months. By the way, she did discard her tubing afterwards.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Have a 9lb cat that has snored LOUDLY for years! Need a source for a kitty cpap!

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

we have a 5 pound chihuahua that snores so LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if they make a puppypap that small????????

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:48 pm

I have a cat that when sleeping makes a couple wheezy type noises then pauses breathing for 10-12 seconds then resumes. Ironically, the new puppy when sleeping on her back, has rythmic leg movements strangely similar to my periodic limb movements.

eutychus

Post by eutychus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm thinking there's an opportunity here. Of course, I'm not sure a more active dog is what I really need right now.

"Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead." (Acts 20:9)

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 pm

eutychus wrote:I guess I'll just sit here for a while and listen for any lapses in his breathing.
Funny you should post this. My husband and I were speculating on how my machine-to-be detected snores, since if it's accoustic, I'm doomed -- the Dachshund Duo can snore like the blazes!

So, as we were taking them for their acupuncture that afternoon, I asked their vet. She said that it was possible that dogs might have apnea, as they have all the same equipment, and thus, potential for apnea that humans do.

She's going to ask around to some of her friends who are into research.

I can tell you that it's possible to do mouth-to-mouth on a cat.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Your dog may just having a good dream, the way to tell is to put a newspaper under his head when he sleeps. then the next night put the paper under your pillow, you will dream the same dream your dog did the night before. Taken from a story by Jerry Clower, "Marcel Ledbetter's Dream".

If I get feeling down I just play my Jerry Clower collection, for a dose of downhome realism. Jim Guaranteed to brighten any day....
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wonderingwoman

Post by Wonderingwoman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:20 pm

I have an 85# Doberman and she is a sweetie and snores, she is overweight. She is a rescue... never had the ears cropped, but her tail was cut...not the proper way as the bone has given her some problems. She didn't snore until she gained weight or was sleeping in a weird position. She is now on a diet with exercise like her Mommy. She loves to camp, Lick your hand and play with her toys. She has never been aggressive in any way. We can't go places because of her breed. She loves people and loves to snore. But then again I had a skinny rescue cat that snored as well. Makes me wonder if it is all about weight in animals and I have had plenty of them. I'm not a PETA type of person. But I do Love my pets which I support from my hard days work. It's all for the Dogs!..... and Cats!!