Sleep Study Oxygen Level

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gmoorhouse

Sleep Study Oxygen Level

Post by gmoorhouse » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:36 am

HI,

My sleep doctor never said anything but on the sleep study it does show I had oxygen level at 88........just a one time thing I assume but big deal?

Thanks
Live another day to Love another day, kindness will never be mistake for weakness

Slinky

Re: Sleep Study Oxygen Level

Post by Slinky » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:40 am

The medical profession never likes to see our 02 saturations drop below 90%, especially when sleeping, but it is HOW MANY times we drop below 90% and for HOW LONG we stay dropped that low that is the concern.

For instance, my understanding is just dropping quickly from 98% to 92% does no harm to your body's organs - BUT - it DOES disrupt your sleep and how many times it disrupts your sleep becomes an exhaustion problem from lack of adequate rest and that opens its own can of worms.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

gmoorhouse

Post by gmoorhouse » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:27 am

slinky thanks.

Do you know how many times an how low is a problem? My wife dropped many times and was low...........she cannot even walk up the stairs
but they lung doctor will not give her oxygen, so I was going to see maybe if we could get it with the CPAP.
Live another day to Love another day, kindness will never be mistake for weakness

Perchancetodream

Post by Perchancetodream » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:34 am

My oxygen saturation level fell to the low 80s frequently during my sleep study. But the purpose of the XPAP therapy is to keep us breathing so that our level does not fall below 90%. Keeping the airway open tends to keep it above 90% for most of us.

Has your wife had the lower levels while using XPAP therapy? If so, you may want to talk to your sleep doctor.

Good luck,
Susan
"If space is really a vacuum, who changes the bag?" George Carlin

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 am

If your wife can't even walk up the stairs w/o getting seriously short of breath its time to dump that lung doctor permenently and get a better one!

And you don't need a pulmonologist to have an overnight oximetry ordered, or a 24 hour oximetry, or to have a spirometry ordered, or even a full PFT, or a six minute walk test w/oximeter, or an ABG, or even a six minute walk test w/an ABG drawn w/in 20 seconds after the walk. Lots of testing can be ordered by your family physician whilst waiting to see a GOOD pulmonologist and sleep doctor. If any of the above tests indicate a lung problem then an echocardiogram would be a good idea as well, if nothing else as a baseline. AND your family physician can script the oxygen if tests indicate it is needed.

I would strongly suggest that you get a copy not only of the doctor's dictated results (1-2 pages each) but also a copy of the full scored data summary report w/condensed graphs (5+ pages each) from all the sleep evaluations and titrations you and your wife have had and keep them in your personal records. Plus be sure to go thru them yourself for more information and better answers than you seem to be getting from your medical professionals.

Good luck! I sure hope you aren't stuck w/some HMO and a family physician afraid to do what needs to be done and make any referrals that need to be made!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.