Opus 360 vs Swift LT question + other stuff

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
grandmajoy

Opus 360 vs Swift LT question + other stuff

Post by grandmajoy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 am

Hi again. I've only posted once or twice before and at that time everything was fine. I've been "on the hose" (oh, how I HATE that term) since the middle of July. At first I was pretty unhappy with the nurse practitioner who sees me, but since then, he has changed his tune a little. I guess he found out I know a few things - thanks to this forum. He was very pleased with my stats at my first "check-up", and even asked me my opinion on things! I think sometimes the medical professional just needs to know that you want to be involved in your treatment and are no idiot. I am vocal about things, so that helps me get my point across. (Result of having five sons). I've also been happy with my DME. I go to ThedaCare at Home in Appleton, and they are helpful. I've been on a demo mask since the beginning and are not pressuring me at all to make a decision. Since I've heard awful things about DME's from you all, I wanted you to know that there are good and helpful ones!

A question: Is it normal to see your medical professional twice in the beginning and then not for a year? That's the plan for me now: I see him in about another month, and then not for a year. I do realize that I can call anytime, though.

Now, for my main reason for writing. My AHI has been near 3 all the time now, and sometimes under. My leaks are very low. (Don't have all my data right in front of me.) My main problem - please don't laugh - is that I've been happy with my first mask. According to most of the posts I've seen here, it takes awhile to find the right mask for you, so I'm thinking maybe I should try another, just to make sure I have the best fit.

So, if any of you have had tried both the Opus 360 and the Swift LT, please let me know your preference and why. In the pictures it appears the Swift's nasal pillows can be adjusted a little by turning a little "wheel." I think that would be more convenient, since the only trouble I've had with my Opus is that there can be a small leak under the cushion. I've tried the larger cushions, but my nose is too small.

Also, once-in-awhile the cushions slip out of the mask. But I'm pretty sure that's an issue of not washing it often enough. Never have been a clean freak! (Again - five sons). I've fixed the problem of marks on my face by fashioning a cover out of felt - very easy to do.

Also, one more good thing. In two weeks I'll be tested to see if I can shut of that stupid oxygen machine. How I want to get rid of it! Hope that will go away.

I will be on vacation next week, starting Monday, so if you have any questions for me, I'll answer when I return. Also, I don't have the card reader or the software yet. I'm getting along so well and have very mild apnea (sleep test showed 10.5), so I don't know if I'll purchase them or not, since my husband is out of work and we haven't been able to sell our house after moving to a condo. So, don't lecture me about getting it, please. I really feel I am on top of things right now, and will reconsider later.

To those of you who remember, my husband has sleep apnea and stopped his treatment several years ago. I'm still nagging him; he seems a little more interested since he's seen my smaller mask. So I keep plugging away at him, but not too much. I don't think he realizes how afraid I am that I might lose him too early. I'm going to start using our grandchildren for a motivation for him. We have two, who adore their grandpa, and one due in November and another in February. (Yes, five sons) Any other ideas? Think I've used up all I can think of. His main problem was the masks. He only tried two, but couldn't stand them. He's the kind of guy who thinks if he goes to the doctor once, his problem should be fixed. He never followed through on trying new masks; just stopped.

Thanks to all of you - you have made things so much easier for me. The information I've learned has been extremely helpful.

SydCPAP

Re: Opus 360 vs Swift LT question + other stuff

Post by SydCPAP » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 am

I went with Opus just because it was more comfortable, LT was pressing under my nose too much. I feel OK with Opus, but every person has different face therefore you have to find the best fit.

breathright

Post by breathright » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:44 pm

Swift LT performance is not that much diffrent than the OPUS 360. I felt the strap marks left by the 360 were its biggest draw back and the PAD A Cheek fixes those. Over all I like the LT a little more but if money is a factor the 360 is more affordable.

User since 11/10/05

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:10 pm

I haven't tried the Opus, but I have used the Swift LT for about a week, and I found it instantly comfortable. I back and side sleep,and I can move around without any problem. It is very light, easy to clean, I'm very happy with it. The mask I had before was a Comfortgel nasal mask, which was not comfortable to me. I had not problem adjusting to the Swift LT, and my pressure has come down a little and my OHI has come down a little more (averages less than 2).