Free Improved ComfortCurve Headgear Available

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mister Logo

Free Improved ComfortCurve Headgear Available

Post by Mister Logo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:50 am

I am relieved and pleased to pass on good news for at least some of the frustrated members who have tried unsuccessfully to get a decent seal with the ComfortCurve. I was very fortunate in that our area Respironics rep, being aware of my seal problems with the ComfortCurve, sent me a sample of the new ComfortCurve headgear, which fits quite differently than the original one did. On the new headgear, the rear strap is adjustable. Even without adjusting the rear strap, I could tell from the moment I put it on my head that it fit differently from the original one. And lo and behold, I was able to actually get my first successful seal with the ComfortCurve!

I spoke with Respironics customer service this morning and anyone who has a ComfortCurve can bring the headgear to any equipment provider; it doesn't even have to be the same source from which you obtained the ComfortCurve. THERE IS NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER FOR THIS SWAP. Just tell the provider you want the NEW COMFORTCURVE HEADGEAR. It would probably not be a bad idea to phone in advance to make sure the provider has the new headgear in stock.

Also, note that although the new headgear comes already attached in the right orientation on all new masks, if you get the new headgear by itself, there's nothing on it that indicates which strap should be on top and which one in back; so just make certain you attach it with the adjustable strap at the back of your head and the non-adjustable one on top!

I know this can't possibly solve everyone's fitting problems with the ComfortCurve; but hopefully it may help a lot of you to begin using it the way you hoped it would work when you first got it.

And just to repeat, Respironics doesn't charge the providers for the new headgear, and no provider should charge you anything to swap it, whether you purchased it from them or not. Anyone who wants a list of providers in their area can get it by calling Respironics customer service at 800-345-6443 (option 4) and giving the rep your zip code.

GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

JOE STAMLER

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:38 am

Joe,

If you could please post a picture of this new headgear. It would be very helpful to see how it has changed.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Mister Logo

Post by Mister Logo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:48 am

wading thru the muck! wrote:Joe,

If you could please post a picture of this new headgear. It would be very helpful to see how it has changed.
I'm trying to get one from Respironics; failing that, I'll take a digital shot of mine or maybe even scan it and post whichever turns out best!

JOE STAMLER

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:06 am

Joe,

Just got off the phone with Respironics. They gave me a local provider, called them and they say there is no such program.

Called back and Respironics is saying there is an improved headgear but it is not free.

Got any names that we can point them to? I think this is a great plan more than likely poor communication / execution...

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:32 am

I have a call in to the folks I dealt with for the elbow leak issue. As soon as I hear back, I will post their response...

Joe, thank you for sharing that info! Now if they can resolve the elbow leak, it will be fantastic!

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:40 am

Whoops, double post...
Last edited by Mikesus on Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:59 am

That's good if Respironics is really going to make the Comfort Curve's new headgear available for a straight swap of the original headgear. Their masks might be better if they took a bit more care in testing before putting them out to the public.

Why do I keep thinking back to that interview Johnny had with Justin Crout, Respironics Product Manager, Patient Interface when the Comfort Curve was being released to great fanfare (wooo! colors!! ) just such a short time ago?

Remember this? (bold emphasis mine):

Q: How large a user base was this interface tested on? Were the patients being served by DME or online providers? Were they previously compliant on other masks? How many nights in a row did they use it? How many hours per night?

A: We did extensive patient trials at various stages of the development of ComfortCurve from early prototypes tested internally to at-home testing on real CPAP users. The testing that we perform depends on how far along we are in the progress of development and typically involves hundreds of participants. We test our products on real CPAP users (new and current) that wear the product night-after-night for extended periods of time. Most importantly, the feedback we get from these trials results in enhancements that are then re-tested and validated. The process takes a long time yet produces the best products.

Q: How did you test this on different sized faces?

A: We conduct our trials in multiple locations throughout the world which allows us to understand sizing, performance and preference based on a wide array of physiological differences and end-user lifestyles. Again, most importantly, these tests are done on real sleep apnea sufferers who are asked to use the product night-after-night for months at a time.

"hundreds of participants"
"real CPAP users (new and current)"
"real apnea sufferers"
"night-after-night for months at a time."

Yet....headgear problems to the extent that this sudden redesign happens didn't turn up during all that testing on "real CPAP users"???

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:19 pm

RG,

Your post turned a light bulb on for me.

During this testing of the CC with a wide array of physiological differences I'm sure they ran across a few physiological differences in which the CC did not work. I would seem that they could have passed this info along to the equipment providers, ie; this mask may not work for people with "x" facial features etc... Probably wouldn't fit well with the marketing strategy, but it would go a long way to prevent dissatisfied customers.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:25 pm

With the issues that it has had, I have a feeling that the test group was much smaller than it sounds. That said, I am glad to hear that they are working on resolving it, and hope that the improvements that have been suggested make it into the product.

Mister Logo

Post by Mister Logo » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:40 pm

Mikesus wrote:I have a call in to the folks I dealt with for the elbow leak issue. As soon as I hear back, I will post their response...

Joe, thank you for sharing that info! Now if they can resolve the elbow leak, it will be fantastic!
Mike, did I ever tell you that I attended a CPAP support group meeting at which our area Respironics rep was to speak. I told him about the elbow leak, which I also shared, and I took the ComfortCurve he had brought with him and tried "jiggling" the elbow joints on mine and the one he'd brought. Mine had wiggle room, whereas his had a more solid and secure feeling at the elbows. So he told me to take the one he had brought home with me and see if it made any difference. It made a lot of difference, as his had no discernable elbow joint leaks at all! That was the good news; the bad news was that I couldn't get a secure enough seal to use it! But the new headgear did take care of that. I just got off the phone with the Respironics rep, who said he is going to put a call through to Justin Crout, the product manager, even though he's out of town at a show, and try and get some answers. Of course I'll pass on anything I learn....

JOE

Mikesus

Post by Mikesus » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:46 pm

Well they had sent me a couple of sets of elbows to try, none of which worked... They sent me a replacement mask and I sent them mine with the saran wrap gaskets...

I did hear that the folks from Respironics where looking for me in Denver tho... Too bad I wasn't there, would have loved to meet em in person!

SalSessa

Post by SalSessa » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:05 pm

the folks from Respironics
+++++++++++++++++++++

Well, I get "ONE" more exchange from my sleep study place on the mask, before I'm done with my 30 day trial.

They only carry Respironics. I now have a comfort gel (small) and I'm not entirely happy with it.

If you had to have a Resprionics mask besides the CG and The CC, what would it be, perhaps??

SAS

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:09 pm

I'd tell them to give me the money they got from insurance, give them back their mask and go buy an Activa or Swift online.

SalSessa

Post by SalSessa » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:30 pm

buy an Activa
++++++++++

I did that today. I just want something for back-up. I don't think they will credit the amount due.....

SAS

luckylinda

Post by luckylinda » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:03 pm

Well, I get "ONE" more exchange from my sleep study place on the mask, before I'm done with my 30 day trial.

They only carry Respironics. I now have a comfort gel (small) and I'm not entirely happy with it.

If you had to have a Resprionics mask besides the CG and The CC, what would it be, perhaps??

SAS

I can only wear a Respironics because they make the petite size that I need. I use the Comfort Gel successfully. Recently with the warmer weather, I sometimes find that the gel portion kind of loosens up. Probably the reason is the higher bedroom temperature and heated humidity. I used a Comfort Classic and wouldn't recommend it.

The only other Respironics mask I keep on hand is the Profile Lite. It has connections for oxygen should you need it after an accident or surgery. I used that two summers ago after leg/ankle surgery in the recovery room.

The company is not a favorite on this board for masks. The only reason I use them is because I need a petite size. I wish I could use an Activa in a petite, but they don't make it. Having contacted customer service/design dept. they have no plans to include more sizes. I am a 4'11" woman and I need that smaller size.

Good luck.[/b]

Lucky Linda