Burning and/or foul odor.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
garyland

Burning and/or foul odor.

Post by garyland » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 am

Last night I could smell what seemed like a burning and/or foul odor thru my mask. The odor would come and go during the night. That is the best description that I can come up with since I was half asleep during each episode. Any ideas?

Gary

echo

Post by echo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:38 am

Mold build-up in the hose/mask/humidifier tank?

Air intake blocked so the air compressor is working extra hard?

Sinus infection causing weird smells?

Neighbors BBQ'ing in the middle of the night?

Could be many things!

Do you still smell it during the day? Is it coming from the machine (take the mask off and smell the machine) or really from only when you put the mask on? Is it only when the machine is running or all the time?

More info would help

PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:14 am

Did your HH run out of water?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:38 am

Your humidifier ran out of water.......happens to all of us....once.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:09 am

Or, similar--you forget to refill the HH--once.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:58 am

What brand and model xPAP are you using? When did you last change your filter(s)? Have you noticed any change in the SOUND of your xPAP?

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:21 am

Do not let wet dogs sleep near the intake of your XPAP. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

garyland

Post by garyland » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 pm

Air intake not blocked.
Filters are new.
No wet dogs at intake.
Use the Remstar Pro APAP. Machine is 3.5 years old.
No new strange sounds.
No neighbors BBQ'ing in the middle of the night.
No sinus infection.
HH did not run out of water.
PROBLEM IS VARIABLE DURING THE NIGHT.
I don't smell that smell during the day.
I use one spray of Afrin ea. nostril every night.

xyz

Post by xyz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:50 pm

gl:
> I could smell what seemed like a burning and/or foul odor
> No _wet_ dogs at intake.
> PROBLEM IS VARIABLE DURING THE NIGHT.

Dog farts.
Hey, it happens.

echo

Post by echo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:56 pm

This is turning into "20 questions" ..!

Did you notice (in your half asleep state) whether it was maybe at higher pressures?

Maybe the engine's dying or there's a short circuit starting somewhere and it's drawing more current .. but it's only noticable at higher pressures??

Do you have a partner that can also lend a nose?

I have no idea what the lifetime on these machines is.

Is there a troubleshooting section in your user manual that says "What do I do when I intermittently smell a burning smell coming from my CPAP" ?

????

PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

ww

Post by ww » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:58 pm

Hard to add to that list!

Take the hose off and smell of it, then wash it carefully in soapy water, then in 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gal water and rinse and dry. Remove the humidifier and smell of it. Wash it in soapy water, then in the same bleach solution, rinse well and dry. Wash the foam filter and dry. Replace or remove the white filter.

If you can smell of the output of the blower (where it goes to the humidifier, turn on for just a second while smelling of the output. Do this several times. I don't know how these machines are made inside, but I would think the blower motor (which can stink badly when it burns up, is in a separate compartment from the actual blower fan. This could account for the smell not being there all the time; however, a motor that has charred to the point of smelling bad is no longer reliable.

If that doesn't improve things, I would go buy another machine from cpap.com as the cost is not too high if you call them and get their best price and you cannot afford to not have a backup machine at this point. Good Luck.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:37 pm

This may be far out but try an Afrin spray into your nostrils during the day one time and see if you encounter that odor any time during the day.

Is your Pro the M Series? Any chance that at one time or another you got water from the humidifier tank into the Pro? The M Series integrated humidifier has a "reputation" and since your Pro is 3 1/2 years old that is something to consider.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

garyland

Post by garyland » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:58 pm

Is your Pro the M Series? Any chance that at one time or another you got water from the humidifier tank into the Pro? The M Series integrated humidifier has a "reputation" and since your Pro is 3 1/2 years old that is something to consider.

It is possible that i may have gotten water into at one time. So what would that do? And what do you mean that it has a reputation for getting water in it?

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Afrin is not meant to be used on a long-term basis. It probably will cause rebound congestion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrin_(nasal_spray)

Please note: Copy and past the link in your browser to go directly to the page. The forum will not allow the correct address to be a link.

That said, my Flonase (aka generic fluticasone proprionate) nasal spray and other nasal sprays ARE approved for long-term use. If I do not use my Flonase regularly, I will smell a burned odor. If I return to my scheduled use for a few days, then the odor goes away.

So, I wonder if your Afrin's rebound congestion may be causing the odor? Just a possibility, but you definitely may want to consult your doctor on the possibility of a different anti-decongestant regime.

Karen
Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:16 pm

I would have a smoke alarm in the room close to the bed. I would get a new XPAP, just in case yours got worse.

I would think if it has a mechanical problem it would error out. Clean & change the filters wash the hose and mask.

It could be nothing more than your nose playing tricks of you, but it pays to cover the bases. Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire