What level of humidification is best? Opinions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Twilightcat

What level of humidification is best? Opinions?

Post by Twilightcat » Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 am

Hello All,

I'm not sure what level of humidification to be using. "2" on the F&P150 feels fine, but it seems to me that the human body would probably be healthier with more humidity, like the max of "5". Then again, I think I read some forum folks advocating passover or low humidity, because it lowers apnea events.

(I generally have a problem with nasal congestion.)

Could you please share some opinions.
Thanks, Twilightcat

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Sun May 11, 2008 10:44 am

I'm a mile up here in Prescott Arizona...VERY VERY dry. I'm using number 3. Seems to work the best for me. I tried the 4 and it got awfully wet in the mask and uncomfortable. More is not always "better".

Twilightcat

Post by Twilightcat » Sun May 11, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks, Sagesteve, for the observation that "more is not always better. " I think moderation is probably a good idea.
Twilightcat

p2pjunkie

Post by p2pjunkie » Sun May 11, 2008 11:13 am

Crank it up to the max. When it you get rainout, add a heated hose. What's this moderation stuff about.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): hose, rainout

ywp

Post by ywp » Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 am

I am in prescott too. The weather can vary so much day to day season to season and these machines do not compensate for ambient conditions.

I perfer to run it up to rain out then back off one notch.

My m seris had plenty of humitity this winter. Since we are getting warmer temperatures it can not put out enought.

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Sun May 11, 2008 11:44 am

it's all personal preferance plus trial & error . also depends on your mask.don't want that ff sliding around in the middle of the night. 2 is the most common setting. i started out with that. using 1 mostly now. the higher the setting the more heat = rainout. hot weather, zero setting is nice(passover humidification) but no heat. good Zzzzzzzzzzzz to you . tim

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sun May 11, 2008 12:01 pm

"Enough is enough, but too much is wonderful" -- Mae West (maybe)

I am one of those, who doesn't use a humidifier. I find too much humidity to be uncomfortable.

Claire

Post by Claire » Sun May 11, 2008 12:24 pm

As with others, I think that humidifier settings depend on you and where you live. I personally don't seem to need much humidified air even in the winter when it is dry and cold. I keep mine at 1. Other people seem to need much more.

Twilightcat

Post by Twilightcat » Sun May 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi Folks,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your interesting opinions. I am grateful to the kind folks on this forum, through whom I continue to learn so many important concepts.

After reading these varying and interesting points of view, I think I'm going to experiment with humidification levels.

Thank you, Twilightcat

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Sun May 11, 2008 12:38 pm

Personally, I can't stand the heated humidifier on even a setting of 1. It's too hot and too steamy. My nose stuffs up from it. I put water in it and just let the air blow over it and don't turn the heat on.

Twilightcat

Mr.Random

Post by Twilightcat » Sun May 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi Mr. Random, Thanks for expressing your view. I had assumed that alot of humidity would be beneficial for my chronic nasal problems (stuffiness, congestion, nasal drip), but perhaps I was wrong. It seems you feel less humidification would be better, right?

Thank you, Twilightcat

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun May 11, 2008 1:05 pm

When your pressure is high, you need to crank up you humidifier to get the same level of relative humidity that you would get at lower pressure.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Sun May 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Yeah. I have tons of allergies and problems with nasal congestion. If the air is very dry a setting of 1 is tolerable. Otherwise it's better for me to just use it as a passive humidifier.

MrRandom

Post by MrRandom » Sun May 11, 2008 1:09 pm

I guess O. makes a good point too about higher pressure maybe needing more humidity. I'd been sleeping with a straight pressure of 5, which is very low.

Twilightcat

Thank you, O

Post by Twilightcat » Sun May 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Thank you ,O. I am learning that I have to look at cpap concepts in relation to other concepts.

Thanks, Twilightcat