Anxiety over sleep test?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carolyngoodman

Anxiety over sleep test?

Post by carolyngoodman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Greetings,

I am trying to identify reasons why a person would not attend/show up for their sleep test.

I was wondering if anyone had anxiety/reservations/worries about going to their sleep test?

If so please let me know what concerns you had that either made you put off your sleep test or increased your apprehension when going.

Thanks!!

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Many folks will back out on a sleep study because they are in deinal and really don't think there is any thing wrong with them or they way they sleep. Many also do not think they can use cpap if they are told they have a problem. Many are also concerned about the cost of the test and treatment.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these seem to be the major ones.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

dsm

Post by dsm » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 pm

I would be very surprised if more than a handful said they felt little to no anxiety prior to a sleep study. Also a touch of adrenalin. I would not be surprised if no shows were in the 5-7% range.

Had 1st sleep study in 1989 - was given the all clear - felt anxious about it then.

Had 2nd pair (eval & fitting out studies) in 2005 - was looking forward to them but was still quite anxious before the eval sleep.

Had most recent one in 2007 - by then I was used to the drill - was expecting to be given the all clear but Dr said they needed 12 CMS to keep SpO2 at good levels. Seems I wasn't having OSA but SpO2 was declining from flow limitations.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 pm

I think one of the biggest anxieties......at least after you get there is being able to go to sleep with all those wires and stuff, stuck all over you......and that's usually well founded. For someone who could fall asleep at the drop of the hat, I had a Helluva time getting to sleep......finally made it, but it was an ordeal.
The sleep tech, that next morning, told me that another guy who was trying to take his "test" that night was going to have to come back.

As far as not showing up?.....I agree with Jerry. And, there are probably a lot more excuses they come up with, too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

roster

Re: Anxiety over sleep test?

Post by roster » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:58 pm

carolyngoodman wrote:Greetings,

I am trying to identify reasons why a person would not attend/show up for their sleep test.

I was wondering if anyone had anxiety/reservations/worries about going to their sleep test?

If so please let me know what concerns you had that either made you put off your sleep test or increased your apprehension when going.

Thanks!!
Take my case. My initial sleep study showed AHI 57 and oxygen desats into the 70s. Heck, I was anxious about walking 200 feet to my mailbox on a beautiful day!

But, I have to say, when osa was suspected, I was desperate to have the sleep study and get some therapy. The only anxiety I felt going in was that they would find out I did not have osa and I would be left with some unknown condition killing me.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

kteague

Reasons to not show up for sleep test

Post by kteague » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Carolyn,

Just speaking from my own experience and observing a friend with OSA, my first thought is that some studies are missed simply because the sleep deprived person fell asleep unexpectedly and woke up too late.

Or they were so overwhelmingly weary they just couldn't face it.

Or, they didn't write it on the calendar, thinking they would remember (yeah, right).

Or they wrote it on the calendar and forgot to look at the calendar.

I used to write my appts. on the bathroom mirror with a glass marker, and that helped because I had to look right thru them every time I used the sink. Even then, I could zone out and what was there just didn't compute.

The sleep deprived brain can result in behavior mistaken as being irresponsible or inconsiderate. While a patient should accept responsibility for their appointments, the best intentions can go awry. Knowing how compromised I was, family and friends kept me reminded. Even now my daughter keeps my schedule "just in case".

I'm just guessing, but I doubt very many people put off their sleep studies due to apprehension.

I do think it could be helpful for the appointment scheduler or paperwork to tell the patient to feel free to call ahead of time if they have any questions, and to tell them they will be sleeping in top rate accomodations - then live up to that.

If one knows the place they'll be staying wants them to be as comfortable as possible in the situation, it won't be as dreaded. Imagine the favorable impression it would make if the patient was asked if they preferred to be scheduled in a room with a firm or soft mattress, or if told they would be sleeping on a sleep number mattress. Sparse accomodations are not conducive to relaxing and sleeping. One clinic I went to had beds and bedding that I didn't want to get out of in the morning, it was like a classy hotel. When I had to return there for a second study, I was almost eager. Alleviating dread could lead to fewer cancellations.

Kathy

trice54

Post by trice54 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:35 pm

I was quite anxious about going for my sleep study. Mostly because I know I have trouble getting to sleep on my best night, so I figured it would be ten times as bad with all those wires and doo-hickeys and in a strange bed. (I did bring my own pillow to help, though. ) And I did have an awful time. I never considered NOT showing up, though.
I have to go back next week for another overnite study so they can titrate my cpap..and I am again anxious, but that is mixed with hope at getting things set up right.
Trice

mbrown

Post by mbrown » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 pm

Anxiety and Anxiety attacks was actually one of my symptoms going in to the study. I didn't want to go anywhere but stay home in the safety of my home - not sure why. This caused me to struggle to go to the sleep study which was in a town about 60 miles from my home.

Also, I have a sleep number bed at home and I had heard the beds where hard at the sleep study place - not to mention all of the wires and such as well as noises. All of this kept me awake and I only got 3 hours sleep. They wanted me to come back for titration since we didn't have time to get it all done, but due to the travel and the lack of sleep the first time, they told me they wanted me to take some type of sleep medicine to relax and sleep. I have never done this and did not want to, so I opted for an auto loaner machine and came up with my own numbers for pressure based on the reports from the loaner and help from my family doctor.

I am happy to report that after 6 weeks of use, I have no anxiety problems or attacks and I am feeling better than I have in over two years. I can't believe it! I didn't even believe I had sleep apnea when my sister suggested it as a reason for my anxiety, but guess what I did.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Gads! I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached! And I will most assuredly be late for my own funeral! But forget a sleep evaluation?? Uh uh. My problem is w/the adrenaline rush as hope springs eternal that this time we'll find the answer.

I KNOW I have a sleep problem or problems. And I look forward to the sleep evaluation in the hopes of getting the answers - and getting them CORRECTED. I look forward to the promise of RESTFUL, UNINTERRUPTED SLEEP!

Last edited by Slinky on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ColoradoDreamer

Post by ColoradoDreamer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Reservations to doing the sleep study? You bet. Hey, I was going to the ENT to see what they could do to help my wife deal with my snoring. I needed my sleep but she kept waking me up.

I didn't like the direction the ENT was going because he was heading toward the "sleep study" words. I felt trapped and agreed to make an appointment knowing full well that I would cancel it. Funny thing is that the ENT scheduler for the study said I was in luck. They had an opening that very evening because someone cancelled. That was easy, I was not interested.

I surfed the internet for info on sleep studies and sleep apnea. The more I learned the more apprehensive I became. All the wires, people watching you sleep, going to the hospital, having the mask put on you and then having to go back to sleep. And the out of pocket expense even with insurance. And the additional expense if you have to come back to do it over again. If I was going to go through with this I was going to need help! Given all this, I called the ENT office the day I was to go for the sleep study and requested a sleeping pill (a good decision). No way I was going to have to go through this a second time.

At the study, I had no problem with the wires. I thought if they fell off that would be their problem (none fell off).

It took me over an hour to get to sleep with the mask on. It's just not natural. My mind was busy processing this new way of sleeping. (One should ask to wear the mask up to the start of the study to get use to it. Better yet is to visit the center and try out the mask before the study, if they let you do that.)

In the end, was it worth it? You bet. I couldn't remember the last time I ever felt that alert upon waking up, especially with what little sleep I got that night. I couldn't wait to get one of those machines. It was a long two weeks.

What you should also be asking is what got one through their apprehensions to go through to doing the sleep study. For me it was scouring the internet and spending hours on this forum reading up on what is involved. I didn't know anything about sleep apnea nor did I know anyone with it (now they are everywhere and most don't know it). It helped me to know what to expect and what questions to ask. The health risks without treatment. Getting the sleeping pill. Deciding to ignore the fate of all those wires. Feeling sorry for the techs that have to watch me sleep all night. The feeling I had when I woke up that morning.

Yesterday a fellow co-worker mentioned that he was going to have go through a sleep study soon because he could barely make it though the day. He is very apprehensive about going to the study. What an open door! We talked for some time about the study. He didn't know of the wires, the CPAP, etc. I told him about my experience and what to expect and what he may want to bring with him the night of the study. I mentioned that while the study may not have been the most pleasant experience, the potential benefits with treatment will make it all worth it. I told him to feel free to ask me questions.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:51 am

I was keen to do it, as I needed to find out what was wrong, but that keeness doesn't lessen the anxiety, especially when you don't know what to expect.

The first one wasn't too bad - no mask, just a full night's sleep with all the bells and whistles. I didn't enjoy the titration study at all - I felt worse that morning than I can ever remember. I don't remember sleeping a wink, but the technician apparently managed to complete the titration.

I'd still feel anxious going for one now, but would only skip if some sort of emergency came up, and even then I'd phone and cancel.

Colin

Alisha

Post by Alisha » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Rooster wrote: "I have to say, when osa was suspected, I was desperate to have the sleep study and get some therapy. The only anxiety I felt going in was that they would find out I did not have osa and I would be left with some unknown condition killing me."

Ditto!!
......The information provided in this post is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice......

sharon1965

Re: Anxiety over sleep test?

Post by sharon1965 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:15 pm

[quote="rooster"]

But, I have to say, when osa was suspected, I was desperate to have the sleep study and get some therapy. The only anxiety I felt going in was that they would find out I did not have osa and I would be left with some unknown condition killing me.

kayfouroh

Post by kayfouroh » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:38 pm

I guess I'm going to be one of the only ones to say I was HAPPY to go to the sleep studies. I wanted the problem (which I knew I had) fixed, and that was the only way to get it fixed.

Started CPAP therapy: Jan 12, 2008
Replacement CPAP received: Feb 19, 2008

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:03 pm

I was nervous. I was convinced I would be uncomfortable and not be able to sleep. I was not happy about thinking I'd be strapped to a machine or that people would be looking at me.

But I went. BTW, it wasn't nearly as bad as I assumed, and I was actually very comfortable, and did sleep some. Slept better night 2, than night 1. Personally, think I had a better tech night 2, who made the whole experience better....

There was a guy next door to me on my second night. He left about... 11 pm? The tech told me it was his 4th attempt. And I got a peek at him while I was up visiting the necessary. He looked VERY LARGE, and on the far end of middle age. Tech didn't say anything, but I said "He looks like he needs this bad". She nodded and rolled her eyes and shrugged.

I think some people just work themselves up to a point where they can't deal with it. I know some people who've mentioned serious adversions to therapy here make me want to roll my eyes and shrug.

Possibly I'm better able to "deal" because I'm on anti-anxiety meds? Maybe everyone should go on them for a month before scheduling their sleep studies? I dunno. It's a thought. So is Valium. I've heard you can request Valium before dental visits. Why not sleep studies?

Cheers,
Babs