I'm out of ideas & open to suggestions...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
marymoon

I'm out of ideas & open to suggestions...

Post by marymoon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 am

Grrrrr! I'm still having trouble breathing thru my nose! It seems as if I am constantly congested and I can't use my Swift without snorting half a bottle of Afrin first. My Hybrid has started giving me sore spots and I've discovered that I just can't tolerate a regular FF mask.

I had sinus surgery and septoplasty last July. It felt soooo wonderful to breathe and smell as nature intended. However, I came down with a head cold 2 weeks after having the splints removed and I've been congested ever since.

I recently saw my ENT so he could take a peek, but he said my sinus passages were totally clear and open. He told me to stop using the Afrin and prescribed Astelin.

In addition to the Astelin, I'm also taking Flonase and Allegra and doing daily nasal rinses using the NeilMed system. I've experimented with the humidifier settings going from #5 all the way to emptying the chamber completely. I clean he black filter and change out the pollen filter on a regular basis. None of these things seem to be working! The Astelin isn't doing a thing and when I put the Swift on, I feel as if I'm suffocating because I just can't get enough air. I finally broke down last night and used Afrin again, but I don't want to continue having to do that for the obvious reasons.

Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can try next? I can buy a Mirage Liberty, but I'd much rather clear up my nose so I can breathe properly on the CPAP.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:36 am

that's what your problem is, sounds like...

"without snorting half a bottle of Afrin first"

Bad stuff! Get off it quickly.

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:48 am

I think I need to clarify my post - I've used Afrin (1 squirt in each nostril) for just the past 4 days when I switched back to my Swift. Until then, I was using my Hybrid, but the blister on my cheek became just too sore to continue. I just went without CPAP for a few days, but I kinda like sleeping, dreaming and breathing on a regular basis!

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:53 am

What JeffH said. I have been addicted to Afrin in the past and it is not easy to get off this stuff because of "rebound effect".

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 am

My nose can get "addicted" to Afrin in just two nights. So, what I try to do if I have to use it is only use it in one side. That way I can breathe through one side and avoid problems with the other side.

Could you possibly put mole skin or something over the blister in order to use the Hybrid? (You could cover the actual blister with a bandage or a little tissue and then the mole skin as a padding. Obviously, having the mole skin directly on the blister would be very painful to pull off the next morning.) When I first started using the Hybrid, I had to use mole skin above my lip, on my chin, and on one area of my check because it felt like my skin was burning in those areas when I put the mask on. Had to do that for about a month and then didn't need to anymore. I still got it to seal fine.

Ever thought about trying that mask that is just for your mouth? I think it's called an Oracle or something like that. Could be wrong on the name. I believe a lot of people here don't like it, and I've never tried it, but I have read where some do use it and have had success.

Unfortunately, I don't have any help for you as far as clearing up your congestion that arose from your bad cold. I did read somewhere on this board once that too much humidity can make congestion worse. I don't know if that's correct or not, but that might be an area you could try, if you haven't already. (I know you said you moved it higher, but I didn't where you usually kept the humidity setting.)

Really hope it gets better for you soon. I know how miserable and frustrating it can be.

Pam

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): seal

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): oracle, seal

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:10 am

A recent thread discussing nasal decongestants.....with some posts about Afrin.

viewtopic.php?t=24892&highlight=afrin

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

kteague

Mask sores

Post by kteague » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 am

Hi. I've used the moleskin before, but I put it on the mask (not the skin) in the areas where it was rubbing. That didn't help when a mask caused a pressure sore, but it did when rubbing caused redness and rawness. When I had no moleskin once, I stuck a small piece of cloth bandaid on the mask. Guess it depends where the mask is rubbing and if it would affect the seal or is just on a part of the supporting structure. Good luck in finding solutions.

Snoredog

Re: I'm out of ideas & open to suggestions...

Post by Snoredog » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:49 am

marymoon wrote:Grrrrr! I'm still having trouble breathing thru my nose! It seems as if I am constantly congested and I can't use my Swift without snorting half a bottle of Afrin first. My Hybrid has started giving me sore spots and I've discovered that I just can't tolerate a regular FF mask.

I had sinus surgery and septoplasty last July. It felt soooo wonderful to breathe and smell as nature intended. However, I came down with a head cold 2 weeks after having the splints removed and I've been congested ever since.

I recently saw my ENT so he could take a peek, but he said my sinus passages were totally clear and open. He told me to stop using the Afrin and prescribed Astelin.

In addition to the Astelin, I'm also taking Flonase and Allegra and doing daily nasal rinses using the NeilMed system. I've experimented with the humidifier settings going from #5 all the way to emptying the chamber completely. I clean he black filter and change out the pollen filter on a regular basis. None of these things seem to be working! The Astelin isn't doing a thing and when I put the Swift on, I feel as if I'm suffocating because I just can't get enough air. I finally broke down last night and used Afrin again, but I don't want to continue having to do that for the obvious reasons.

Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I can try next? I can buy a Mirage Liberty, but I'd much rather clear up my nose so I can breathe properly on the CPAP.
Well if you continue to use Afrin after your doctor told you to STOP using it, then I don't know what we can say that would make any difference.

The only thing you should be putting in your nose is a saline solution with about the same pH as eye tears.

All Afrin does is cause the tissue inside your nose to become inflammed and swell where it causes congestion.

Using a mask like a Hybrid or pillows that pushes on the end of your nose is also not good if you had a septoplasty. If your mask is too small where it pushes on the outside of your nose it can cause congestion.

Get a larger mask so it so it doesn't push on the base of the nose.

This is the only thing you should be using to flush out your nose:

someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:27 am

As the OP stated, her nasal congestion started from a bad cold and BEFORE she started using Afrin. Also, she already uses a nasal rinse, and it's not helping.

Yes, these types of decongestants do have rebound, but sometimes it comes down to using that type of nasal decongestant or not breathing. Period. If you use it only in one side, that should help the breathing some, and still leave one nostril unaffected by the Afrin. And how many of us always follow "doctor's orders" anyway. ("Patients aren't supposed to be changing their own pressure," quickly comes to mind.)

Marymoon, I thought of a couple more things. Have you tried an ORAL decongestant? I know they don't mix with high blood pressure, but it might be worth a try if HBP isn't an issue for you. Also, have you seen an allergist? I know you use Flonase and Allegra, but didn't know if that had been prescribed by an allergist or another physician. My allergist prescribed Singulair, NOT for asthma, as I don't have that, but for allergies. Singulair is now used for allergies, too.

Pam

marymoon

Post by marymoon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!

JeffH, Oceanpearl, Snoredog:

ITA about the Afrin. Since I had my sinus surgery, I've avoided it like it was poison. However, I had reached a breaking point these past several days and it was a matter of use Afrin and the Swift, or go completely insane (tho my DH might argue that he'd never be able to tell the difference.) I don't plan to continue using it, but unless I find other relief, it's either that or I don't sleep.

Wulfman:

Thanks for the link. I performed a search last night but found so many hits that I just couldn't go thru them all.

Wearyone & kteague:

I appreciate the suggestion of moleskin. The Hybrid is causing a pressure blister right where the mask seals so I'm not sure moleskin or any other barrier would work, but it's worth a shot.

Additionally Wearyone, thanks for the added input and suggestion of an oral decongestant. That's one I hadn't thought of! I don't currently see an allergist, but I called one today and have an appointment in a couple weeks. My PCP put me on AllegraD for several weeks last year (before I was diagnosed with apnea) but I didn't respond very well to it. Of course, that was well before my sinus surgery, too. Maybe it'll just take some trial and error to find the right combo for me! I'll continue with the saline rinses, Flonase and Astelin regimen until the doc prescribes otherwise!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): swift

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): swift

grandmma

Post by grandmma » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone tell me what moleskin is? I'm still trying to pad a sore spot between my nores, and lately it is getting worse. Since my nose is narrow, but long, it is difficult to find a mask that fits - the petite is too short, but the medium is far too big. Bandaids don't pad enough, and that sounds like an option. I know moleskin as leather, I think, but do you mean another product? thanks in advance!
"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!"

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:36 am

Find it in a drugstore... it's what hiker's use to pad shoes and stuff like that... usually where you'd get foot products. It comes in sheets that you can cut to the right size.

SleeplessInOhio

FP

Post by SleeplessInOhio » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:09 am

Fisher-Paykel has a new CPAP machine that is supposed to be great for people with stuffy nose problems. A friend of mine works with a sleep technologist who uses it on herself. She has lots of allergies and says it really helps. Something about the way it filters and humidifies the air. If you keep having problems that may be something to try.

“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” Stephen Hawking