14-Month Progress Report

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erin_Belli

14-Month Progress Report

Post by Erin_Belli » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16 am

I have been on CPAP for 14 months now, and thought I'd give a progress report, for any newbies who might be feeling discouraged with the results of their early stages of CPAP use.

I have not missed a night of CPAP since I got my REMStar Auto on 9/1/06. The immediate benefits were small, but the long-term benefits of being on CPAP have been very significant for me.

A subtle but important benefit has been improved cognition. I am able to think much more clearly, learn new concepts faster, and solve problems much more readily than before CPAP. This improvement has been quite gradual, but looking back over time, it is apparent to me that my mental clarity is much better.

I have an improved mood. Most of the time my mood is positive and confident. I believe this is closely related to my improved cognition.

I have more stamina for staying on my feet. Before CPAP I would feel faint and ready to black out after an hour or two on my feet. Now I can stay on my feet all day without these problems.

My heart murmur has completely gone away.

I weather colds much better. When I catch a rhinovirus, I just turn up the humidifier and that almost completely eliminates a runny nose and congestion. I think the humidity has a soothing and healing effect on linings of the nasal passages. This is an immediate benefit from CPAP that I believe even a newbie can enjoy.

I hope this brings encouragement to anyone struggling out there. Stick with it and in the long-run your efforts will be rewarded.
The path to Awakening lies through sleep.

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Erin, thanks for a great post!! It should be an inspiration not only to newbies but to some of us old-timers....reminds us why we keep on with this stuff.

Kajun

Perky CPAPer

Post by Perky CPAPer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:13 pm

I am on the monstrous contraption for about 13 months, and didn't notice any real improvement. BUT my mood has started to be much, much better, although I am so tired that my doc suggests Provigil (I have some narcolepsy symptoms too, although he doesn't think I really have it). My blood pressure has improved greatly, and triglycerides and C-reactive-protein are way down. So, I also have something to be pleased with!

Vadim

Post by Vadim » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Well, I rented M series A-flex just 2 weeks ago, and I thought it made no difference, but 2 days ago it became defective. So, tomorrow I have an appointment to fix it, and for last 2 days I sleep without machine, and feel tired! There you go...

LavenderMist

Post by LavenderMist » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Congrats Erin on your compliance and results. I didn't notice an immediate change either. After being on the machine faithfully for 21 months though, I have some weight and my blood pressure medication was lowered. I think the negative impact on our health was cumulative and our healing from those things is cumulative as well. Some people get immediate relief, but that isn't always the case. I think it depends on how long the condition has gone on untreated.