full face mask users-need opinions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HeatherN

full face mask users-need opinions

Post by HeatherN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:46 am

Hello all. I have not posted in a bit because things are going very well for my daughter with CPAP. My husband who has been on CPAP for some time is having issues again. I pretty much figured out he is mouth breathing and needs a full face mask. (he is also going for another titration study soon) anyway the DME called today to tell us that the full face mask is going to cost $460.00. Our insurance only covers 50% of that. I went to CPAP.com and saw that I can get a mask MUCH cheaper than that there, even lower than our copay. So my question is what kind of full face mask do you use and how do you like it? He was thinking about going with a resprionics but the reviews of it were not that great. Any input?
edited to add- he does not like the nasal pillows at all. He currently has a resprionics nasal mask.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap.com, Titration, CPAP, DME

Image Heather-

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:27 pm

For me, the UltraMirage Full Face mask has been my faithful companion for 2 3/4 years now (and I'm still on my 2nd one!). I'm a side/tummy sleeper and use it along with a memory foam pillow and have no problems. The hardest part was in the beginning, getting it adjusted properly, but once I realized that loose on top, medium tight on bottom was the right combo, no more problems. Also, it has quick-release clips so it comes off and goes on in no time.

But, as with everything here, YMMV.

Good luck!

Kajun

Sergey45

Re: full face mask users-need opinions

Post by Sergey45 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:36 pm

The only FF I have tried was F&P 432 and I was not impressed. Person who has bought this mask from me (also member of this forum) seemingly likes it. Yes, it would be very interesting to know which FF mask people consider the best (for them) because I am currently looking for new FF to try. So it would be desirable to post here only about FF masks.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:49 pm

Ditto on what Kajun said.
I'm still on my original.....almost 2 1/2 years.....still seals very well.
The Quattro is another that I've been using.....excellent seal and quiet, but I like the feeling of a little more "air flow" inside the UMFF.

I would advise NOT getting the Comfortfull 2 (Respironics). NOT comfortable and leaks a lot. Used it for 3 nights till I gave up.

Some people like the F&P HC431 and 432 masks but lots of people don't.

Make sure whichever one he gets is properly sized. Also check out the CPAPAuction site. They have some good deals on the UMFF there.

Den

RiverDave

Post by RiverDave » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:50 pm

Heather,

I will put my two cents in for the Quattro. It's pricey (around $200), but IMHO worth it. I'm a side/stomach sleeper and have had no issues regarding excessive leaking because of it. It does, however, have a big footprint (covers a lot of the face).

I have also tried the soyala FFM and like it as well. It has a smaller footprint and is not as pricey ($150, I think). It's not so great for my sleeping position, though.

Good Luck,

BigDaninCA

Not very experienced here

Post by BigDaninCA » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:55 pm

I literally just started using CPAP last night, for the first time. I know I am a mouth breather, and bought what I thought was a full face mask, (on the internet) and once I opened the package, it turned out to be a nasal mask. So, I hurriedly ran out to my local medical supply store, to get a full face mask. Well, even though I am aware that most folks go through a few masks before they find the best one for them, I have always been of the belief that "You gets what you pays for!" Boy was I wrong.
I had been neglecting my OSA for at least a year and a half, that I knew of, and have now developed an atrial fibrillation, so I was VERY anxious to get started on the CPAP.
Well, I bought the only mask that store had in stock, in my size, and it was a Hans Rudolph 7600. The sticker price was $189.99, but I haggled the guy down to $150, and bought it. The fit seems ok, though I did have some difficulty finding the right spot, so that it didn't leak. The big problem, for me any way, was the constant flow of air, hitting me right between the eyebrows, CONSTANTLY. There is some sort of a pressure relief opening, or something similar in the nose bridge area, that shoots a constant stream of air at the area between the eyebrows, that makes one feel like they are riding a motorcycle without a helmet, at high speeds. I had to take a full dose of sleep meds to be able to get to sleep with that annoying wind in my brow region. As far as I am concerned, I threw away $150. Considering I spent $55 on the first mask that I thought was a full face and wasn't, I have now thrown away $205 on stuff I am not going to use.
All I can say is, unless you are used to riding a motorcycle, without a helmet, in your sleep, DO NOT GET THE HANS RUDOLPH 7600! Because that is exactly what it feels like.
Back to the drawing board!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

LavenderMist

Post by LavenderMist » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 pm

I used F&P FlexiFit HC431 Full Face Mask last night and it was comfortable and maintained seal. I am a side sleeper. The important thing is to get the correct fit. They tried a medium on me and it leaked like crazy, but the small fit great w/ no leaks. The bottom seats under the chin vs others that rely on the face as a seal. This seemed to keep the mask stable for me. I had no soreness from it or marks. Others have had problems with F&P 432, so I guess a lot has to do with your facial shape, etc. Good luck.

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Ultra Mirage Full Face since my first night of CPAP. My one and only mask. I got lucky and found my ideal mask right off the bat.

"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

KAZ

FFM

Post by KAZ » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 pm

What Kajun and HandGunner45 said, I recommend the Ultra Mirage. With all of the good reports on the Quattro it would also be worth a look. Regards

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 pm

If you havent tried the Hybrid, your in for a treat.

Organplayer

Post by Organplayer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:48 pm

Been at it almost two months. Quattro mask is what I use.
Try it.

Kevin

Average AHI: 2 over the last year
Pressure:14 2600 hrs +

Susanm

Post by Susanm » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:00 pm

I use the UMFF mask also, and I'm a side sleeper. Once I got past the irritation of wearing a mask period, it suited me just fine. I just wish it was about a 1/2" smaller.

Susan M
To have what you want is wealth; to be able to do without is power.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:05 pm

neverbetter wrote:If you havent tried the Hybrid, your in for a treat.
Yep' It made me feel like a fool for laying out the cash for it. What a leaker that thing is. I tried every configuration of nasal and mouth fittings and finally gave up in about a week. Gonna sell it and try something else as a backup.

shippy

Post by shippy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:54 pm

Quattro, Quattro, Quattro by all means Quattro

2nd choice UMFF

also tried Soyala don't go there its a nose destroyer

Also tried Comfort Full its a leaker

Dale

nomad

Post by nomad » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:01 pm

shippy wrote:Quattro, Quattro, Quattro by all means Quattro

2nd choice UMFF
100% agree. I started off with the UMFF and I think it's a very good mask. It seems to be a good all around mask for a lot of people. That being said, the Quattro is (for me) hands down the best mask I've ever used. It seals better than any other I've EVER tried.

It seems to be about trial and error. Hopefully you'll hit on "your" mask relatively soon.