Another First Night At Home...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AdmiralCougar

Another First Night At Home...

Post by AdmiralCougar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 am

So I got my Respironics M Series BIPAP Auto with BiFlex w/ Respironics M Series Heated Humidifier with a Fisher & Paykel HC406 Petite Nasal Mask yesterday.
I got it home and I got it out and showed my nephew who lives with us (an extended family situation which is pretty cool sometimes and rough others since it's My parents, My Sister, her son, and my husband and I) and joked around with him told him I could go as an elephant for Halloween. We laughed a bit over the machine and helped him understand why I had to have it. He's 9 and pretty smart so he is pretty happy I'll be around longer because of it and made me feel even better about having to use the machine.
Then I slept... napped about 2 hours with the machine. 2 hours was a piece of cake keeping it on but I didn't have the humidifier running because I didn't have any filtered water, but I was a bit worried about going the whole night when I was going to add the humidifier. I am proud to say that I was able to keep the thing on all night long even with my husband elbowing me in the face, and our dog attacking me and my hose in the middle of the night. I do believe it will be the end of our dog sleeping with us. My husband insists not, even though he about had a heart attack when he found out how much our copay was for the machine. Does he not realize what we'd have to put out if the dog damaged something...

You have to admit though it's gonna be kind of hard to crate this cute guy at night

So my humidifier was set at 1 and I was so amazed that I was able to handle the humidity though it did condensate a bit in the mask not much mind. I also had a bit of a trouble with leaks but I tightened up my mask and it helped a bit. Now lets see if I can remember which was which... my IPAP=20 and EPAP=16 or is it the other way around.... anyway had my BI-Flex set at 3 the techs suggestion and ramp of 20 min starting at IPAP=6 EPAP=10. I think that the ramp time might still be a bit long for me and starting to low because it felt like I wasn't getting quiet enough air, but I'm gonna experiment a bit with that.
Now my numbers I'm not sure are quite right, and as of right now all I can see is 7 day averages but since I've only used it one day...
AHI=58
Leaks=50.0/min

I hope that might be a sensor error on the AHI if that's / hour but if it is daily average then it's almost exact with the AHI=8/hour during sleep lab (unofficially since my Dr. hasn't gone over the sleep study results with me yet) but the tech told me that's what my AHI was after I was on Bi-PAP at 16-20, but it might not be seeing as I was also told by the tech (again unofficial) that I was having over 150 events an hour during the study.

And is that a really high leak? I totally can't remember what the Tech said about that. My short term memory is so shot...

Oh and I don't know if it was just my husband being tired or scared he'd interfere with the mask or what, but I tried to cuddle up to him to fall asleep and he pulled away. I didn't say anything at the time but it didn't make me feel very good... I'm gonna see how he reacts tonight before I say anything to him though cause I don't want to make him feel bad.

I've so decided to create a blog though to record nights and important information just as soon as I find a good open source blog to put up on my sight.

Last edited by AdmiralCougar on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral Cougar

VenDexter

Post by VenDexter » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:33 pm

What a great dachshund! I was just reading an article about their declining popularity in Germany but they are hugely popular in Japan.

Nevertheless, good luck on keeping him out of the bed...

As far as your blog is concerned be sure to check out WordPress. http://www.wordpress.org

It's fantastic open source software that is very versatile. I use it for my personal site and am in the process of coverting our office web site over to using it.

wading thru the muck!

Re: Another First Night At Home...

Post by wading thru the muck! » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 pm

AdmiralCougar wrote: I've so decided to create a blog though to record nights and important information just as soon as I find a good open source blog to put up on my sight.
Great idea. If you haven't yet, give blogger a look. I'm a big Google fan!
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

AdmiralCougar

Post by AdmiralCougar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:42 pm

VenDexter wrote:What a great dachshund! I was just reading an article about their declining popularity in Germany but they are hugely popular in Japan.

Nevertheless, good luck on keeping him out of the bed...

As far as your blog is concerned be sure to check out WordPress. http://www.wordpress.org

It's fantastic open source software that is very versatile. I use it for my personal site and am in the process of coverting our office web site over to using it.
Yeah he's a mini and wont get any bigger, and I love him so much.

WordPress that was the open source that I had been trying to remember. Thanks I've got it installed now I'll just have to edit my first post. Thanks alot.
wading thru the muck! wrote:Great idea. If you haven't yet, give blogger a look. I'm a big Google fan!
I appreciate Google lots, but I have my own site that I run, so I might as well utilize it.

I'll post the link to my blog, and place it in my signature as soon as I'm happy with how everything is set up.

Now I know I got a good night sleep but I've done nothing but struggle with nodding off.... I so need a nap but no time. Sure glad my family is here now to keep waking me up.
Admiral Cougar