For pressures 15+, have you modified your mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

For pressures 15+, is your mask:

Modified
23%
Not Modified
77%

Total votes: 13

DawnTCB

For pressures 15+, have you modified your mask?

Post by DawnTCB » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:54 am

It was occurring to me that I haven't really seen anyone on this board at a high pressure who has NOT modified their mask in some way. If you have a pressure over 15 and greater, please vote in the poll and if you have not modified your mask at all, please comment as to what mask it is.

Thanks for voting!

Dawn

P.S. My pressure is 20cm and my DME (who I love) is trying and trying to get me a ask that requires no modifications but I am wondering if it is possible.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): DME

jjposey

Post by jjposey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:25 am

My pressure is at 16. I'm using the Profile Lite Gel Mask (see my profile) and am trying to adjust - gradually - to the New Version Breeze. I'll probably have to fiddle with the breeze, but the gel mask is just like I got it 6 months ago (except that now I've got the oxygen ports closed - no thanks to my DME!)
Joanna

DrowzyDave

Post by DrowzyDave » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:20 am

My IPAP pressure is 16 (EPAP is 10, I am on a VPAP III ST) and I have not physically modified the mask but I have to have the headgear straps pretty darn tight to maintain a good seal. I also use Lansinoh which helps quite a bit. I am using an F&P 432.

I think the "tighten the straps just enough to hold the mask to your face and let the air pressure inflate the cushion to create a seal" works fine for low pressures, but for high pressures, you just have to crank it down -- especially with a full face mask.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong and they can successfully maintain a seal with a full face mask at a pressure of 15+ without overtightening the straps.

Dave

jjposey

Post by jjposey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:25 am

Can't say for a ff mask, but for my nasal mask I've had to have the straps pretty tight! Lately I've gotten better at wearing it all night and some days I still have those lovely strap marks around 10 am (getting up at 5:30!) Last night my mask nearly drove me nuts trying to launch off of my face, but then I've been lazy and haven't cleaned it (wiped down w/ vinegar and water) in oh... 2 weeks or more!
Can't seem to get used to the Breeze not having straps to tighten

KAZ

Pressure-20

Post by KAZ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:06 am

Pressure is set at 20. I've not modified my Mirage Ultra FF mask. I do wash my face before bedtime with Dr Bronners soap, and the mask daily with citrus wipes due to my oily skin. I get good results without the mask being so tight that it leaves any marks. Regards

topher

17cm

Post by topher » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am

I'm at 17cm and use a umff some nights I have trouble and have to go really tight some nights not so tight sort of weird, I have also made my own chin strap that attaches to the top strap of the headgear because when my mouth opens while sleeping I would get a leak at the bottom of the mask on my chin

CHRIS

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:48 pm

I'm at 19cm and I use a FP431 yes with straps so tight they leave marks, if I don't I feel lousy and end up with leak rates in the 150's......

I have added a wrap of fleece fabric around the head gear especially around the neck straps all the way to the mask connections. it sure helps with marks and comfort!

Wish there was a better way to deal with mouth breathing and nasal congestion and High pap pressures....

AHI at 1.6 for last 30 days.......

Cheers...

Hambone

DrowzyDave

Post by DrowzyDave » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 pm

Hambone wrote:I'm at 19cm and I use a FP431 yes with straps so tight they leave marks, if I don't I feel lousy and end up with leak rates in the 150's......
If you are using a medium 431, you might try a large 432. The foam cushion insert makes it a little more comfortable when you have to the straps down like we do. The Lansinoh helps with leaks as well.

Dave

Shari

Post by Shari » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:27 pm

At 18cm I could use the Swift without modification.
At 22/18 I can use the ComfortGel and the Optilife without modification. Unless you consider padding the straps a modification.

Without multiple extra straps to hold things in place I have not been able to use the Swift (over 18), Simplicity, ComfortLite, ComfortLite 2, or the Breeze. (Breeze was more of a headgear issue)