Ozone Machine??? Anyone had experience with one?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vdol52

Ozone Machine??? Anyone had experience with one?

Post by vdol52 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I read that oxone machines and therapy help with oxygen deprivation during sleep. Apparently this is related to Low Body Temperature. I was wondering of any of you hoseheads have run across anything about this in your research for sleep apnea

mhacker

Re: Ozone Machine??? Anyone had experience with one?

Post by mhacker » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:51 pm

vdol52 wrote:I read that oxone machines and therapy help with oxygen deprivation during sleep. Apparently this is related to Low Body Temperature. I was wondering of any of you hoseheads have run across anything about this in your research for sleep apnea
Smog is not healthy if your talking about ozone machines. I read a report that things like the "ionic breeze" make the air in the house worse than a "spare the air day" in Los Angeles.

Adding an oxygen tap to add o2 is something a professional should setup.

momadams

Post by momadams » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:24 pm

My asthma doc says that ozone will make asthma worse, but only if your nose is within 3 feet of the ozone producer, such as Oreck air cleaner.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 pm

If the machine is what I think it is, it is what is known as a negative ion generator.

What these do is to generate using various techniques, a stream of negative ions that are propelled into the air from a part of the machine.

The negative ions create the effect/sensation of if a storm is in the distance (storms generate masses of negative ions on their edges).

These negative ions do a couple of things, one is they attach themselves to dust particles in the air & make them heavier & they drop. So the air becomes 'purer'. They also can sterilize bacteria. There are other benefits (see below link)...

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/hv/ ... ngen2.html

DSM

(When very young, used to work for a company that designed & built these - my job was measuring the -ve ion output of each machine). Have used them on & off over the years.)
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 pm

I have two Ionic Breeze machines from Sharper Image:
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catal ... __SI871GRY

I have asthma and have found since putting these in the home that my asthma is greatly reduced. Of course you have to keep them clean. You also need to keep floors and furniture vacuumed and surfaces dusted to eliminate the fine white power that the machines produce. The fine white power is not good to inhale, and it is a pain to constantly clean up.

Each machine doesn't cover much square footage so we keep one in the living room and one in our bedroom.

They are silent and that is important to me.

I have a friend that is very allergic to animals, and when she comes to our home, she doesn't have to take meds and doesn't have the allergic reaction she is familiar with in other homes with pets.

My mother has a central one in her home but only runs it during the heaviest pollen season as she doesn't like the smell of ozone.

We're looking into a central HEPA for the forced air electric furnace as it is cleaner and less maintenance.

tbone106

Can you suggest a machine

Post by tbone106 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:59 pm

dsm wrote:If the machine is what I think it is, it is what is known as a negative ion generator.

What these do is to generate using various techniques, a stream of negative ions that are propelled into the air from a part of the machine.

The negative ions create the effect/sensation of if a storm is in the distance (storms generate masses of negative ions on their edges).

These negative ions do a couple of things, one is they attach themselves to dust particles in the air & make them heavier & they drop. So the air becomes 'purer'. They also can sterilize bacteria. There are other benefits (see below link)...

DSM

(When very young, used to work for a company that designed & built these - my job was measuring the -ve ion output of each machine). Have used them on & off over the years.)
I'm thinking since it can't hurt, why not try a negative ions machine -- any recommendations?

dsm

Re: Can you suggest a machine

Post by dsm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:14 am

tbone106 wrote:
dsm wrote:If the machine is what I think it is, it is what is known as a negative ion generator.

DSM

I'm thinking since it can't hurt, why not try a negative ions machine -- any recommendations?

TBone, Being in Aust means I don't know what brands are in the US but I would have to believe there are a lot of them.

Do a google using 'air purifier negative ion'

Here is 1 such link

http://www.andatech.com.au/catalog/ioni ... -c-60.html

Good luck

DSM

PS some trivia ...

The machines I 1st worked on produced their -ve ions by placing an ultra violet light onto a gold plated grid & a fan blew over the assembly.

Later models used electronic solid state components to emit a stream of -ve ions from a fine wire

If I placed a bit of paper on my desk & ran the ion generator, after about an hour it took an extraordinary effort to move the paper sideways, almost had to tear it.

Also, one of the solid state machines I had, always left a fine layer of particles - micro fine dust that the machines -ve ions had knocked out of the air

Ion generators are also touted as a legitimate form of simple space engine. There are some claims that a very small one could power a large vessel which would initially hardly move but in time could accelerate to great speeds - just by the way the machines propels -ve ions in one direction thus forcing the host in the other.

D

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:49 am

Since I built a Tesla coil in High School and became ill while playing with it, the smell of Ozone has been something I steered clear of.

Also, I thought Ozone up high blocks UV but down low is air pollution. Since I am working on a major industrial retrofit to reduce Ozone emissions there must be something to that.

Also isn't Ozone O3? So a negative Ion generator is not actually an Ozone generator? Color me confused>>>

TerryB

EDIT: Yup, Googled and found "Good up high, bad nearby". Exposure to more than 0.04parts per million ongoing is thought harmful by the EPA. If you can adjust it to that or less you MIGHT be OK.

http://www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/AVC200 ... WAodSTzD7g

TWolf

Post by TWolf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 am

Hi vdol52,

I'm a safety & health professional and a Certified Industrial Hygienist. One of my main functions is evaluating and controlling exposures to hazardous materials. Ozone IS a hazardous material. American workers covered under OSHA are by law not allowed to be exposed to more than 0.1 part per million (that's 0.00001%) of ozone in air averaged over an eight hour work shift and 0.3 ppm in any 30 minute period. It's widely documented that exposure above 0.05 ppm can result in headaches, throat and nasal dryness, bronchitis, decreased pulmonary function capacity, pulmonary edema and other respiratory ailments. 5.0 ppm is considered Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health.

There are charlatans out there selling Ozone generators for the home and office claiming they freshen the air and kill germs. Ozone does kill germs. Very effectively. It also has a similar effect on your mucous membranes and respiratory tract. These little machines don't produce a high enough concentration in average-sized rooms to be effective BUT the concentration close to the machine is very high. Most people I've seen using them tend to place them very close to their breathing zone and get a very high exposure.

That being said, Ozone Generators and "Ionic Breeze" type machines are two completely different things. The IB type machines filter air and remove particles by passing them through an electric field. They're basically an electrostatic precipitator. They are used in industry on a large scale and are very effective for removing particulate. The home sized models do work but they do have limitations - mainly related to the size of the room and the amount of air you're trying to filter. You also have to stay on top of maintenance and cleaning for it to work properly.

TWolf

http://www.quixotichierophant.blogspot.com

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Just sorta third hand here....

My boyfriend, the major geek, tells me that those Ion generators will speed the disintegration of rubber products. Sounds like a very bad idea to combine them with cpap.

I don't have any documentation to back this up - possibly a hunt on Google might yield something.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

dustbunny

Post by dustbunny » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:40 pm

We are using several of the smaller SurroundAir ion generators, which do make a positive difference for my hubby's allergies. I do not sell them. But if you google the brand, their website will come up.
Best wishes,
karyl

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 pm

The one thing that I can tell you is that they will mess up the paint on your walls.
I used to run 2 of the Ionic breeze in the house. No more. I also have a commercial unit for killing mold under the house.

I just want to go back to sleep!

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:38 pm

[quote="TWolf"]Hi vdol52,

I'm a safety & health professional and a Certified Industrial Hygienist. One of my main functions is evaluating and controlling exposures to hazardous materials. Ozone IS a hazardous material. American workers covered under OSHA are by law not allowed to be exposed to more than 0.1 part per million (that's 0.00001%) of ozone in air averaged over an eight hour work shift and 0.3 ppm in any 30 minute period. It's widely documented that exposure above 0.05 ppm can result in headaches, throat and nasal dryness, bronchitis, decreased pulmonary function capacity, pulmonary edema and other respiratory ailments. 5.0 ppm is considered Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health.

There are charlatans out there selling Ozone generators for the home and office claiming they freshen the air and kill germs. Ozone does kill germs. Very effectively. It also has a similar effect on your mucous membranes and respiratory tract. These little machines don't produce a high enough concentration in average-sized rooms to be effective BUT the concentration close to the machine is very high. Most people I've seen using them tend to place them very close to their breathing zone and get a very high exposure.

That being said, Ozone Generators and "Ionic Breeze" type machines are two completely different things. The IB type machines filter air and remove particles by passing them through an electric field. They're basically an electrostatic precipitator. They are used in industry on a large scale and are very effective for removing particulate. The home sized models do work but they do have limitations - mainly related to the size of the room and the amount of air you're trying to filter. You also have to stay on top of maintenance and cleaning for it to work properly.

TWolf

OREO

Post by OREO » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:46 pm

I have an Edenpure and I like it. It runs a number of different cycles. A mix of ozone & anion with a UV light. I move it from room to room. In the basement I start with ozone when I've had it out of the basement for a few days or it's rainy for a quick zap then after an hour it switches itself to anion until I adjust it back to ozone. I run the ozone when I'm not down there because I find it irritating to my sinus's and throat if I'm in it too long. I agree, I think the ozone is a tough on the lungs. The anion clears the ozone smell out pretty fast however. In the bed room and office I run only anion and the uv light. It has re-claimed our basement for us. And takes care of the environmetal allergies for me. (I think the ozone on a limited basis is a nice feature to do fast cleanups of the air, cooking smells etc.)

I don't sell this machine.