Sealing and Shaving

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MRH

Sealing and Shaving

Post by MRH » Tue May 29, 2007 2:57 pm

A quick question for the guys.... Does it make much of a difference on how well of a seal you get on your mask if you aren't a once a day shaver? Just curious as I am not very good about keeping clean shaven.

Mark

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): seal, clean

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Tue May 29, 2007 3:10 pm

That would depend on the mask more than anything.

A nasal pillow mask obviously touches the nares (nose openings) So if you're hairy enough to disrupt that seal you have a bigger problem than Sleep Apnea.

A nasal mask usually seals around the nose and just under the nose. I personally use the mirage activa without any problems. As you can see in my picture, I do have facial hair, and have yet had a problem.

A full face mask (or hybrid) would be the only type of mask that might cause difficulties. I also have and occasionally use a Ultra Mirage Full Face mask. I seals just under my lower lip. The seal does cross the sides of my goatee, but so far I have had no problems with leaks in that area.

So generally facial hair doesn't affect the seal greatly. I would suspect a little stubble wouldn't hurt at all.

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

ScottH

Post by ScottH » Tue May 29, 2007 3:12 pm

As you can see, regular mowing of my face is not a high priority for me either...

My regular mask is a nasal pillow type, so it's not a big deal. My backup mask is a nasal type, and while I do have some leak issues, most of them are around my eyes, not my facial hair.

Even without regular shaving, proper mask fit and alignment are possible, just might take a bit of extra tweaking.

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Handgunner45

Post by Handgunner45 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:57 am

I wear a beard and moustache and use the UMFF. No problem with seals. Maybe a little more leakage than some but not enough to be a problem.
"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together." --Red Green

http://www.keepsakeacres.com

MLefholtz

Post by MLefholtz » Wed May 30, 2007 7:35 am

Hi Craig. I use a nasal mask, but I also tape. I have facial hair. No problem.

Mike

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 7:51 am

I had some leakage with a couple days growth. I shave before bed and the mask I use (UMII nasal) seals better, but I really started shaving at night to save time in the morning and sleep an extra ten minutes or so.

TM

Vader

Re: Sealing and Shaving

Post by Vader » Wed May 30, 2007 8:17 am

MRH wrote:A quick question for the guys.... Does it make much of a difference on how well of a seal you get on your mask if you aren't a once a day shaver? Just curious as I am not very good about keeping clean shaven.

Mark
I think you'll find that it varies quite a bit from one person to another.
I have a beard, and I have not had any problems with my Soyala FF or my UMFF, but I do always make sure that I wash my face before I put on my mask.

Vader

Post by Guest » Wed May 30, 2007 11:01 am

I don't know about sealing but two days of beard growth and I can't stand a ffm to touch my face.

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Wed May 30, 2007 11:03 am

OOPS! Forgot to log in.
Does anyone else have a problem with the Hydbri tickling their face?
I just want to go back to sleep!

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 pm

No, but I have problems with my Hybrid not staying sealed. Following this forums' advice, I have now shaved myself and washed the Hybrid. I'll report tomorrow on how well we do tonight.

I'll let you ponder what I shaved.

LOL,
Babette La Mauvaise

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed May 30, 2007 5:00 pm

Babette wrote:No, but I have problems with my Hybrid not staying sealed. Following this forums' advice, I have now shaved myself and washed the Hybrid. I'll report tomorrow on how well we do tonight.

I'll let you ponder what I shaved.

LOL,
Babette La Mauvaise
Babette, you would get kicked off the apneasupport.org forum. I said "crap" in a post and they censored it. Told them bye, bye.

Glad you are yourself here.

JeffH

Last edited by JeffH on Wed May 30, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 pm

It was my legs, for pity sakes!!!! Geez, and I didn't even swear...
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Babette wrote:It was my legs, for pity sakes!!!! Geez, and I didn't even swear...
B.
Yea right....