inflammation (OT)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
t-bone

inflammation (OT)

Post by t-bone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 am

Folks,

This is, or so I am told, a forum on which one can learn much about xPAP therapy and related topics.

Of late, however, too many posts seem instructive on a different topic, which seems to be "How ugly can folks be in public posts?"

I understand that there will be differences of opinion--such is the nature of the human condition, and we can all learn from those differences. However, saying, "I don't agree," is not the same as saying, "You are an idiot for saying that."

I can readily imagine new readers turning away after a few exposures to the rancor. I know of a few examples of folks who had much to contribute, but who left because of the ad hominem attacks. The result is a forum that is all the poorer.

If you really like arguing that much, find a forum that has arguing as a focus. Alternatively, go see John Cleese in his Argument Clinic.

Do Not Incorrige!

SelfSeeker

Post by SelfSeeker » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:08 am

And I thought this would be a post about inflammation and pain. I was looking of answers to why:

I feel more aches and pains when not sleeping well or tired.

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever worked in the health care field Just my personal opinions.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 am

Too funny, SelfSeeker! I too thought of physical inflammation rather than "flaming" as a form of inflammation.

T-Bone did say he was a punster! (After the fact). But he does make a valid point. When posts to a thread start getting "personal" I quit following that thread.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Catnapper

inflammation

Post by Catnapper » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:17 am

I am in favor of forum decorum.

Catnapper

tangents

Post by tangents » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 am

There once was a CPAP talk forum
That had quite a diverse quorum
Some fighting erupted
About sleep interrupted
Robbing our sense of euphoriam

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 am

Read what you will take what you need and get some sleep.
I just want to go back to sleep!

NightHawkeye

Re: inflammation (OT)

Post by NightHawkeye » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:57 am

You raise good points, t-bone. However, even though this is an "unmoderated" forum, cpaptalk seems to have instilled considerable self-discipline in most posters. Many of us who have been here for a while see the benefits of letting discussions run through to resolution. An amazing amount of truly beneficial information is brought to light in the process of "hashing things through".
t-bone wrote:I can readily imagine new readers turning away after a few exposures to the rancor. I know of a few examples of folks who had much to contribute, but who left because of the ad hominem attacks. The result is a forum that is all the poorer.
Yep, personal attacks should be avoided (maybe even at all costs). However, many, maybe even most folks, simply don't know how to have an in-depth discussion of deeply held views without becoming very emotional. Couple that with the fact that many here are working under the handicap of sleep deprivation and, naturally enough, that emotion flows over into the posts.

One might think that to be a turn-off but, just like TV shows and movies, the posts with drama, excitement and suspense seem to attract large numbers of views, so perhaps conventional wisdom about folks being turned-off by the rancor and discord misses the mark a little. If rancor and discord were what this forum were about, then I'd agree with you about large numbers of folks tuning out . . .
t-bone wrote:If you really like arguing that much, find a forum that has arguing as a focus. Alternatively, go see John Cleese in his Argument Clinic.
But arguing for the sake of argument is not the point at all. Enlightenment and improvement in the human condition are the objectives. Discussion of contrasting viewpoints is simply a mechanism which allows the proper focus.

Regards,
Bill

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:19 pm

tangents wrote:There once was a CPAP talk forum
That had quite a diverse quorum
Some fighting erupted
About sleep interrupted
Robbing our sense of euphoriam
Very good, Tangents!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Great minds think alike, Tom. I was considering posting this, but wanted to give it a couple of days before I did. Since you started the ball rolling, though, here goes:

Let me begin this thread by saying that CPAPtalk is an amazing resource. Yes, there are other CPAP message boards out there, but this is the only one where the users are allowed to pretty much police themselves. This is good in that it allows for freedom of discussion that is not seen in other forums, but it is bad in that that freedom can be (and sometimes is) abused by some posters.

Given the recent spate of personal attacks on this forum, I wanted to start a thread asking folks to take some time for introspection, and to evaluate their contributions to the forum as of late. I could find no mission statement on this site – but it seems to me that the mission of this forum is to give CPAP users a place to ask questions and receive friendly, helpful replies from posters who have been there before. It seems to me that we are largely falling away from that.

This is not a medical or scientific forum, and it was never intended to be. As others have pointed out in the past, there is a disclaimer on the bottom of the page saying that any advice here is not professional medical advice – and that’s the way it should be.

There is much talk here of carefully choosing one’s words so as to avoid leading newbies in the wrong direction. When someone posts their opinion, but neglects to say “This is my opinion,” some posters complain that that comment is therefore to be interpreted as a statement of fact.

However, I think we give newbies far too little credit. I know that when I came to this forum, knowing it was a forum for users to give one another advice, I assumed EVERY post to be a post expressing an opinion or personal experience, unless someone specifically said “I am a tech.” I read post after post after post, and soon came to know what posters were trustworthy, and which were not. I doubt I am an exception to the rule. Since this is a forum by users, for users, the underlying assumption should be that everything is strictly opinion, unless stated otherwise.

Additionally, as this is a forum for adults, I think we would all do well to remember that personal attacks only make our opinions look less valid. Even if we strongly disagree with something another poster has said, a courteous, polite, “I don’t agree. Here’s what I think,” goes a lot further in convincing others of the merit of our arguments. Using sarcasm or being condescending towards other posters is inappropriate; your fellow posters, regardless of what you may think of their opinions, deserve better than that. They are fellow posters, fellow apnea sufferers, and most importantly, fellow human beings.

My proposal is that, in order to ensure we remember the original purpose of cpaptalk.com, to remind us that we are accountable for what we say, and to ensure that this forum retains the “good” characteristics of self-policing while negating the “bad” aspects of that as much as possible, is that CPAP.com allow us at least one moderator. This moderator would, by necessity, be an impartial user that would volunteer for the job. This moderator’s responsibility would be to scan all threads, looking for personal attacks or things that border on personal attacks. Users that stepped out of line would be warned, and, if they accumulate enough infractions, banned from this forum temporarily (and possibly permanently, if they continue). The moderator would be accountable to someone at cpaptalk.com as well, and if users felt they were improperly sanctioned, they would be able to appeal to cpaptalk.com, who would evaluate the moderator’s decision to ensure it was indeed impartial.

In conclusion, I wish to thank all contributors to cpaptalk.com for their overwhelmingly positive and helpful advice, and I hope we can all continue to make this forum a place where everyone feels free to post their own opinion without fear.

Machine: M-Series Auto
Mask: Headrest
No humidifier
On the hose since 2005.

blarg

Re: inflammation (OT)

Post by blarg » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:00 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:Discussion of contrasting viewpoints is simply a mechanism which allows the proper focus.
I want to clarify. At least my personal view that a skilled moderator would do us good does NOT mean that I wish people not to argue. Arguing is fine. Name calling and personal attacks are not. And until there's at least some policing of personal attacks on this forum, they'll continue.

Some people don't mind that, while some prefer moderation, while some refuse to participate in either type of forum for one reason or another. It just is.
Last edited by blarg on Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

roster

Post by roster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:58 pm

I don't like moderated forums. cpaptalk.com is great as it is.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

rotoplooker

Post by rotoplooker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:28 am

This forum has a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny arguing problem compared to most forums on ANY subject on the internet. Quite often over zealous forum admins and moderators can cause trouble in forums so I think we should be thankful for our set-up.

Also our subjects are worth arguing about

this isn't the alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove forum

I've told you all a million times... stop exaggerating!!

Roto

brackstone

Post by brackstone » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:47 am

Well I think you're all STUPID!

Anyway, to be serious, I'm an avid computer geek and as a rabid gameaholic I must say these forums are very, very tame compared to all of the other forums I visit on the daily basis.

My advice is always just take the high road, understand that some people can't quantify their logistical argument in an eloquent fashion, and don't draw more attention to the issue than need be.

Nitro Dan

Post by Nitro Dan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:47 am

Sticks and stones may break your bones but a name will never hurt you....

I know, you have all heard that one!
Over 20 years in treatment...
Humidified REMstar Plus at 18 cm
Mirage Swift Nasal Pillow System....A Winner!

brackstone

Post by brackstone » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:06 pm

Nitro Dan wrote:Sticks and stones may break your bones but a name will never hurt you....

I know, you have all heard that one!
Someone wrote my name on a stone and hit me with it once :\