How old are you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ioannispolo

How old are you?

Post by Ioannispolo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Im 29 , not a smoker and im not fat, why do I have apnea so young?

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:34 pm

my guess is you got tested young.

Most of us had it for 10-20 years before ever being tested, usually it is another disorder which makes us realize there may be a problem like a heart attack or stroke.

Let's hope by the time you are our age they have found a cure or a procedure to eliminate it. I'm not holding my breathe for any drug though.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

roster

Post by roster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:32 pm

I was diagnosed at age 57. I have never smoked. I am fit and have always had a good exercise program.

Now that I know the symptoms, I can think back and imagine that I already had mild sleep apnea in my twenties.

Be glad that you received the diagnosis before you had to go through the health problems that osa caused me.

Most of us hold hope that something easier than cpap will soon be developed.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:42 pm

I think Snoredog nailed it: "my guess is you got tested young."

Like Rooster, I'm sure I had it wayyyy back in my younger days, according to the number of people who told me, "Wow, you snore LOUD!!!" Heard that from my teen years on. I didn't fit the profile either.

You're lucky to have had it found, and be able to do something about it, at a relatively young age.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

blowfish

Post by blowfish » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Last edited by blowfish on Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

kavanaugh1950

Post by kavanaugh1950 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:45 pm

I was diagnosed at 56 but I had asked to be tested repeatedly for the previous five years. It wasn't until I was in telemetry with atrial fib that my new cardiologist said I needed testing. You are lucky to have found out while you are still young and healthy. pat

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:49 pm

I was diagnosed at age 44. I'm 51 this month. I believe now that by that age I had had it for probably 15 years or so.

It killed my dad.

Last edited by JeffH on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeatherN

Post by HeatherN » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:00 pm

My husband was diagnosed at age 33. He has probably had apnea for a long time though, I can remember as a teenager he snored like a freight train. In fact his nick name to all his friends is "buzzsaw". He is not overweight either. My daughter started having symptoms at age 4. She had T&A surgery and now the apnea is back with a vengance.With her I knew the symptoms and got her tested.
Image Heather-

dsm

Post by dsm » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Our family should have known that we were vulnerable to SA. My dear departed mother used to snore fit to raise the dead. But she was never diagnosed as having sleep apnea but that has to have been because no one really knew of it then & she never went to a doctor that I was aware of, asking for a cure to her snoring. Her snoring really began to entertain the neibourhood kids when she was going into her 60s.

I have told the story here a few times as to how my paraplegic brother went to stay with her one night about 10 years ago & she snored so loudly & repeatedly that he got up at after midnight, packed himself & wheel chair into his car & went to a motel.

Self went in to the 1st Australian sleep clinic in 1989 as my 1st wife had complained of my snoring (I was very fit & not at all overweight). They declared me SA free. But 2 years ago after wife kept raising the issue of snoring/slowing & ceasing breathing & also having OSA events - went back to the same clinic & was diagnosed a yes. And then again last month.

Now as for my age, well let me guess that I was officially diagnosed some years after Laura (RG) was & my guess is we are close to the same age

DSM
Last edited by dsm on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:27 pm

diagnosed at 46 but I'm sure I have had it since my mid-twenties.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:59 pm

I was just diagnosed--at 48--and I am overweight (BMI about 35). I was tested 9 years ago when I weighed a lot less and did not have OSA.

My husband should be tested and won't go. He's always snored so loud you could hear him in the next room with both doors shut and a sound conditioning machine on! He's overweight, too, and in his early 50's.

Pam

John Galt

Post by John Galt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm

I was diagnosed at 55. I'm thin and reasonably fit. In retrospect, I used to have to apologize in advance to my clients as I would anticipate yawning during meetings and I needed to alert them that I wasn't bored. That began in my 30s. I was only diagnosed because I began falling asleep during the day and I asked to be tested.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Diagnosed at age 60, one month after a heart attack, it took twenty minutes to get a tube down my throat in the OR. O2 stats remained under 90 while awake during recovery. Now two years later O2 runs at 92 on good days. Probably had Apnea for 20 years untreated, never got tired when moving and in my jobs I was always moving. I quit working ar age 57, mainly due to health issues and the type of work I was required to do.

As far as weight, in the sun my shadow shows up two people, but only one of us is doing the carrying. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Lyza

Post by Lyza » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm 32 but guessing I've had this for about the past 5-10 years.
Ramping is for the weak.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 pm

Jim and I not only share the same birthday, but we were both 60 when we were diagnosed. I do think I probably have a couple more years on him however.

Unlike Jim, I haven't had a heart attack, and I'm in fairly decent health. I asked my family doctor about getting a sleep study because I snored horribly. Occasionally I would have a bit of a morning headache, but I was never tired during the day. Also, I'm only about 25 pounds overweight.

I knew about sleep apnea from a sister-in-law who has it. And I've been able to suggest sleep apnea to two other people who ultimately were diagnosed and on therapy.