First night with the air curve 11

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
alancalan

First night with the air curve 11

Post by alancalan » Sat May 25, 2024 10:49 am

MyAir Score

Usage Hrs. 7:53 70/70
At least an hr w/no sleep
until I took Zolpidem
Adjust mask seal. 9/20
AHI. 5.4. 5/5
Mask off. 3 times. 4/5
--------------
Total 88/100

Does this mean anything

I slept pretty well last night, with the air curve 11, about almost 8 hours but about an hour of that wasn't sleeping. I was in bed with the mask on but I decided to stop taking Zolpidem 5mg, which was probably not the smartest thing to do the first night I got the new machine. Then when I got up to take the Zolpidem at 3:30 in the morning, I didn't shut off the machine and let it run while I went into the kitchen took my pills and came back. When I looked on the machine the ahi was 5.4, now I wonder if any of that had to do with the fact that I had the machine on when I went into the kitchen for a few minutes. I think at that point I did look at the my air and it might have said 5.4 then actually before I ever went to sleep.

When I woke up my body felt great but my head feels tired, as it has for a few months, and I blame some of it on the Zolpidem. I have been on it since October when I had pain and then cervical spine surgery in November. Now I can't get to sleep without it. I think I'm going to stick with it for another week till I get used to the machine and then I'm going to start getting more exercise during the day and then cut the 5mg pill in half or maybe wean It off a little slower.

I am very happy with the AC11, my mouth wasn't dry. I may need a chin strap which Patrick at Lincare told me they're coming in next week. I should have some here but I have no idea where they could be. I've been doing this for 21 years and I have had all different kinds of mouth closing devices but I have no idea where they are so I have to start looking.

The air curve 11 seemed to work very well. No problem with putting in the water tank or attaching the heated tube. It was not loud. When I woke up it might have been a little loud I don't know I don't remember. So we shall see. I think the 5.4ahi might have had to do with the fact that I left the machine on when I went to take my pill or I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that I was awake for that first hour in bed with the machine running. I have the humidifier set to three, this is Florida, and there was plenty of water left in the tank this morning.

Miss Emerita

Re: First night with the air curve 11

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat May 25, 2024 11:48 am

I think you're smart to have a plan for weaning yourself off the Zolpidem. You might want to talk with your doctor about the best way to taper.

To answer your question about your AHI, we'd need more information. If you're willing to try this, you can bring up more information on your machine's screen. Here's how:

First, you need to get into the clinician's menu. This is from ResMed: From the Welcome screen, tap CLINICIAN The Clinician handover screen will appear. Tap OK to continue or BACK to return to previous screen. The Home screen will appear. This is also the Patient Home screen. The menu options are: MY OPTIONS: for the patient to view and adjust therapy settings (eg, Adjust Ramp time) MY SLEEP VIEW: for the patient to track their sleep health (eg, check the number of hours used last night or mask status) MORE: Additional features such as Mask Fit or switch to Airplane Mode. To access Clinical mode: From the Home screen, press two fingers anywhere on the screen for 3 seconds to access the Clinical Home screen. From this screen, you can access: SETTINGS: Set up or adjust therapy settings for the patient. SLEEP VIEW: Track the patients sleep health EXIT: Return to the Home screen (Patient View)

Once you're in there, find the Patient View setting, and change it from Simple to Advanced. Be sure to tap OK to lock in the change, then exit the clinician menu.

Tomorrow, take a look to see what the breakdown is for your AHI. You can also see more information about your leak rate.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

alancalan

Post by alancalan » Sat May 25, 2024 10:03 pm

Miss Emerita,

Thanks for your reply! I'm writing this on a note app because I keep writing all these postings and somehow I do something to make it go away.

I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday so I'll wait till then about the Zolpidem.

The menu system is a little different on the AC 11. You do the two fingers right away, and I think it's one on each panel but it could be anywhere, and then it asks if you want to go to settings or look at the results. So I went into settings first and changed the level to Advanced and hit save. I also turned ON auto start and auto off, which I always had on my S9 because the machine is behind me on a cabinet headboard and it's awkward to reach. I also shut off the ramp which I set myself the first night but I don't like it. I increased the hydration from 3 to 4.

Then I noticed there was no setting for the PS and I look up and the mode was the S mode I don't know why that's true because I always used the S9 as a VPAP. I have a feeling the RT did that because on the prescription that they have that actually I made up on this site talking to a couple of people when I use 15 and 7 with a PS of 4, there was no indication on that prescription to use the VPAP mode. So is the default the S mode? I'm glad I looked at this. So I changed the iPad the 16 and the epap to 6 (instead of the 15 and 7) and I increase the PS to 5 (from 4).

Here are the results from last night:
Leak-38 L / min,
VT - 1300 ml,
RR-10.8,
MV-6. 3/min,
Ti-2 sec,
I E-48,
Spontaneous Cycle-0,
AHI-5.4,
TOTAL AI-4.8,
OA-3.8,
Central AI-1.

So what I don't see is the timing of anything as far as when things happened which I would get from Oscar.

I would imagine it wouldn't be a bad idea to download the latest Oscar 1.5.3-Win64.exe and use that for the air curve 11 and leave the old version intact with the S9 information and that one's 32 bits the new one is 64 bits probably could have gotten either one. I got the link from Apnea Board, (is that still legit) Windows put a big blue plack up saying Windows protected your PC and it is telling me sleep files.com is an unknown publisher and it stopped the download because it may cause a risk. Now it's giving me the option to run anyway or don't run. I'm pretty sure this is legitimate but I don't want to do anything unless I hear from somebody. So the location of where the file is that I went to:

https://sleepfiles.com/Oscar/

I also want to find the clinician manual online but it's easier to read because the manual that came with the AC 11 has tiny fonts and they're thin and not bolded so at night when you're tired and you maybe haven't gotten the best sleep that you should have yet, this stupid manual is ridiculous to read but I have it in 8 languages. Leave it to ResMed to do what's good for them and screw the patient because they think creating great machines is enough. A company can be sickening sometimes. Everybody's angry at the DME's but really what is ResMed do to enhance the knowledge of people in doctor's offices for example. They don't care.

alancalan

Post by alancalan » Sun May 26, 2024 10:34 am

Second night results.

Two interesting things discovered. One my machine wasn't set up for a VPAP it was set up for an S so that was Friday's results. I don't know why it wasn't said for every pap and I don't know why nobody asked me but once again I think the RT did it because the prescription had no mention of it, so maybe that's the default.

Because of the high leaks and it actually went up last night from 38 to 40, I did the leak test and it said I had a good seal the very beginning and then within a few seconds it started it said you have a problem. So I moved the mask around, I pulled it away from my nose and put it back and then I looked at the mask frame. I noticed that the rubber sleeves on the P30i coming up to the part that receives the pillow wete all the way down on the bottom on both sides so I pulled them up. I tried to test again and this time it didn't tell me I have a problem that I have to check out. I didn't get that leak warning but I noticed on the expiration, it was a lot harder than before when the sleeves were down.

So I will try it like that tonight and if I'm having trouble I may increase the PS which I already increased from 4 to 5 when I replaced the Ipap from 15 to 16 and the epap from 7 to 6. I am definitely going to do some sinuses before I go to sleep and earlier.

Here are the results from the last two nights.

FRI SAT
IP 15---------------13.6
EP 7----------------8.6
Leak-38 L / min, ----40L
VT - 1300 ml, -------500
RR-10.8, -------------11.2
MV-6. 3/min, ---------6.1
Ti-2 sec, -------------2 sec
I E-48, --------------46
SpontaCycle-0, ----70.5%
AHI-5.4, -------------2.6
TOTAL AI-4.8, -------2.2
OA-3.8, -------------1.1
Central AI-1. ---------1.1

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Sun May 26, 2024 11:16 am

alancalan,

The leak numbers from the machine's Sleep Report display are 95% leak rates.

In other words, when the machine says Leak 38 L/min, that means that for 95% of the night your leak rate was at or below a rate of 38 L/min.

Having the 95% Leak rate increase from 38 L/min to 40 L/min is not really statistically all that important.

But in both cases, the real question is this: How long were your leaks above 24 L/min?

Here's why that's important: Resmed defines a Large Leak as a leak at or above 24 L/min. That's when Resmed starts to be concerned that the machine might no longer be able to properly maintain the appropriate pressure (and thus compromise your therapy) or accurately detect apneas and hypopneas (and thus possibly respond inappropriately to what's going on with your breathing.)

In the short version of the data, Mr Red Frowny Face shows up if the leak rate is above 24 L/min for 30% of the night. Otherwise Mr Green Smiley Face shows up, even when the 95% Leak number is over 24 L/min.

In order to get a grasp on how long you were leaking at a rate above 24 L/min, you need to look at the data in OSCAR or create a free account over at SleepHQ and upload it there.

In general a few short lived Large leaks can push the 95% Leak Rate really high without any significant affect on therapy. This is particularly true if you know that you took the mask off for a few minutes without turning the machine off.
I also want to find the clinician manual online but it's easier to read because the manual that came with the AC 11 has tiny fonts
You can find the clinical instructions for the ResMed AirSense 11 series at https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 pm

To clarify: you got out of S mode, right? Into VPAPAuto mode?

Also, what were your settings on the old S9?

It's fine to tell your computer to go ahead download Oscar. You won't hurt anything that way, as many thousands of users can attest. You'll need an SD card in your machine and a way for your computer to read the card. To post a chart here, you'll need to use an image-hosting site like Imgur.

Also, a lot of us are having trouble with connectivity for this site. Pugsy has made repeated pleas to CPAP.com, the site's sponsor, to fix the problem, so far to no avail. Very irritating. Do copy your message before you post it.

alancalan

Post by alancalan » Sun May 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Emerita,

Let me try to grasp this. What is the purpose of the 95% rate if your leak rate is 15L all night except for 6 seconds when it hit 50? But I do understand if the 95% leak rate is 15L then all is well. So seeing that 50L can be useless and misleading, yes? Would it be better to give the average leak rate for the entire night or the % 24 or under?

Another question, I downloaded the latest Oscar but I only have the S9 info in there? The prior version was a 32 bit program and the new one us 64. Do I need both and how do I add the AirCurve !!?

The numbers for the S9 were 15, 7 and 4 PS. I changed it on the AC11 to 16, 6 and 5PS. I never get to 14 or higher unless there is a stray single line. So I felt the little extra gives me a better cushion.

As far as the leak rate again, did you see what I wrote about the Leak Test I did and it said the seal was fine and a second later there was a problem and things were not fine. So, I am using the P30i and I noticed that the sleeves on the sides where the pillow sides connect were way down as about as low as they could go, So, I pulled them up and did another leak test and this time it remained fine, no problems! So, that probably contributed to the high leaks.

Alan

alancalan

Post by alancalan » Mon May 27, 2024 6:48 am

Morning May 27

After fixing the sleeves on the p30i I woke up this morning feeling completely different. When I did the mask test yesterday it was fine and then a second later it said they were a problem. Then I pulled up those sleeves and it was fine. I just did it now after I slept and it was fine again that's why I have been infinity sign ∞ on the mask fit line.

Here are the results from the last two nights. Friday night had at least an extra hour with the mask on but no sleep. I don't know if it records that as our sleeping. I woke up much clearer but I just yawned and then yawned again but I do feel more awake. I also took the golf again at 12:00 AM but I seem to be yawning.

I found a chin strap and put it on them but I'm not so sure it did much. It was the bet on one side black on the other side and I think it's about 18 in Long and maybe 4 in wide.

Still yawning but my head is clearer and maybe it takes a little bit more time for the Zolpidem to get out of my system.

Results are better as AHIs are .5 if that's accurate because of the leaking. I have to get the memory card into Oscar but I downloaded the new version it brought up my information from the S9. How do I add the air curve 11 into the latest version of Oscar? Do I just take the memory card and stick it in and it will do it itself? Still a lot of yawning as I'm typing this but sometimes you convince yourself to yawn.

After the yawn, I feel that heaviness in my head but I also feel like it's going to clear up. I still have more work to do figure out why the leaks are so high. I do sleep on my side and maybe that's what's doing it and I also don't think the chin straps that I have closing my mouth tight enough.

So once again how do I get the AC 11 memory card info into the new Oscar. I'm thinking I just loaded in and it will set up a new machine.

FRI SAT. Sun
Hrs 7.53 7.15 6.59
IP 15------------13.6. 12.6
EP 7-------------8.6. 7.5
Leak-38 L/min, --40L. 34L
VT - 1300 ml, ----500. 460
RR-10.8, ---------11.2. 13.2
MV-6. 3/min, -----6.1. 6.4
Ti-2 sec, --------2 sec. 2
I E-48, ----------46. 58
SpntCycle-0,---70.5%. 88.%
AHI-5.4, --------2.6. 0.5
TOTAL AI-4.8, --2.2. 0.5
OA-3.8, ---------1.1. 0.4
Central AI-1.-----1.1 0.1
Mask Fit 1 ∞

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon May 27, 2024 11:50 am

I'd suggest you start with a fresh SD card in the new machine. Then just upload it into Oscar as usual. Let us know if you run into any problems.