Mouth Tape?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
maiki

Mouth Tape?

Post by maiki » Wed May 01, 2024 12:06 pm

I use a nasal pillow mask with my CPAP machine. I think my mouth opens while sleeping, so sometimes have used a chinstrap. Not very comfortable, and doesn't always work for me. So I'm wondering about mouth tape? I have seen some advertised on Amazon. Have people found that to work well? Any particular type or brand recommendations?

Although inexpensive to buy on Amazon,I am also curious whether insurance covers it? (If bought through an insurance provider like Apria?) (For instance, insurance does cover a chin strap.) (And my insurance pays 100% on my CPAP supplies.) (This question isn't important though, as it is inexpensive in any case. Mostly interested in answers to my first paragraph?)

Thank you.

vandownbytheriver

Re: Mouth Tape?

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed May 01, 2024 3:55 pm

Cover Roll Stretch Tape is the one I use... it's a common medical tape around the world, known under different names... in AU I believe it's Omnifix?

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Roll-Stret ... B01F9JFBBY

Here's Lanky Jason with his endorsement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAHEENnatw

SakimaStorm

Post by SakimaStorm » Sun May 05, 2024 11:48 am

I tried several tapes. The MedVance Silicon Tape is by far the most comfortable. No irritation when I take it off in the morning.

https://cureandcareshop.com/collections/silicone-tape

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Lowenstein Prisma20A
Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask
F&P Brevida nasal pillow mask

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun May 05, 2024 9:03 pm

SakimaStorm wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:48 am
I tried several tapes. The MedVance Silicon Tape is by far the most comfortable. No irritation when I take it off in the morning.

Me too - and I agree.
Also available on Amazon.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

onward60

Post by onward60 » Tue May 07, 2024 4:53 pm

SakimaStorm wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:48 am

Thanks for this link. I want to try just one roll. The tape I was using was discontinued, and I haven't been thrilled with the hypafix. It's kind of painful to take off.

SakimaStorm

Post by SakimaStorm » Tue May 07, 2024 4:56 pm

I think you will find this silicon tape much gentler. Other tapes were too painful to take off, no problem with this.
1" by 5 yards is $9.99 on C&C. Not sure about other locations.

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Lowenstein Prisma20A
Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask
F&P Brevida nasal pillow mask

onward60

Post by onward60 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:23 pm

Good to know. :D I ordered a roll and am waiting for it.

Chimpanzzz

Post by Chimpanzzz » Tue May 14, 2024 12:48 pm

When it comes to mouth tape, I think you need to consider what your specific issue is. Does your jaw drop, or does the CPAP pressure blow air out past your lips even if your jaw doesn't drop? I started out (15 years ago) with mouth tape and found it effective, but very annoying. I tried all sorts of tapes. I eventually realized that if I could just keep my lips from blowing outward, I could keep a good seal. I don't have a jaw-drop issue. I landed on using a slightly tacky "Compfort Stretch Bandage" available at most pharmacies. It's a stretch cloth bandage with one side being very grippy but not sticky. I wrap it across my mouth with the ends meeting at the back of my neck secured with plastic velcro included with the bandage. I add another plastic velcro piece over my mouth to keep the bandage from curling on itself. It's been working well for me for about 10 years now. The bandage is hand washable and reusable to a point. I keep a dozen available and use a fresh one each night. Then hand-wash all of them when I run out.

They come in different widths. I find the 2"-3" works well. Here's a link to one: https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgr ... 10-product

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Tue May 14, 2024 2:30 pm

SakimaStorm wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:56 pm
I think you will find this silicon tape much gentler. Other tapes were too painful to take off, no problem with this.
1" by 5 yards is $9.99 on C&C. Not sure about other locations.
If cost is a consideration for you, you should at least give the Cover All tape a try and see if it works for you.

It's $12.99 for 20 yards, and it has a 2" width. The extra width makes it a lot easier to cover your mouth without worrying about mis-placement.

I don't find it too painful to take off, but obviously YMMV. There is an even cheaper tape that I want to try which is the 3M Micropore paper tape. You can get 120 yards of 1" tape for $9.24, or 60 yards of 2" for $9.40.

At the end of the day, find the tape that works for you, and then shop by price. I am obviously not suggesting that you sacrifice comfort for price.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue May 14, 2024 8:45 pm

MikeekiM wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:30 pm

I don't find it too painful to take off, but obviously YMMV. There is an even cheaper tape that I want to try which is the 3M Micropore paper tape. You can get 120 yards of 1" tape for $9.24, or 60 yards of 2" for $9.40.

At the end of the day, find the tape that works for you, and then shop by price. I am obviously not suggesting that you sacrifice comfort for price.
I used the 3M Micropore paper tape for years. The only way to remove it is by letting oil - preferably baby oil - soak the paper and dissolve the adhesive before you start pulling it of. And even then, every now and then when I didn't wait long enough, it would abrade my skin in some places to point of leaving it pink and even with tiny dots of blood.

Haven't touched it since I learned of the silicone tapes, (Cover All, Medvance and 3M) and won't use it again. If you want to try it, put in on the inside of your upper arm and try to remove it after about 8 hours - before you try try it on your mouth.

The tapes have different adhesive, and "the tape that works for you" depends on the adhesive, as well as the breadth.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Tue May 14, 2024 9:14 pm

I just got the SomnoSeal fit pack... which contains two sizes. I'm going to try the Small size, the other is Medium and the Small seems to work for me. It is a silicone piece that goes between teeth and lips... should only take a small piece of tape (included) to fix the lips in place. I'm hoping this allows me to use a nasal mask at bi-level pressures.

https://www.somnoseal.com/

I've found the best way to remove CRST is to lick it from the inside... doing this releases it and you can get out of it without even using your hands. This obviously won't be an option with the SomnoSeal so I'm going to use their X-tape piece tonight. More later!