New to Oscar - hoping someone can help analyze my data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vandownbytheriver

Re: New to Oscar - hoping someone can help analyze my data

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:00 am

bitteroblivion wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:41 pm
vandownbytheriver wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:05 pm
Did you join SleepHQ? Time to post a shared link to a night here then.
just did. here you go - appreciate it!

https://sleephq.com/public/925a63ad-ca6 ... f0a7436eaa

https://sleephq.com/public/ce973ab2-2e1 ... 1618c149a9

https://sleephq.com/public/a1da256f-444 ... bc911d0a5e
Wednesday... 05:22:30 looks like a leak aroused you... you had an FL that pumped up your pressure, had a leak, then adjusted your mask, then drifted back off and popped a CA (normal). When the pressure moves around it can show leaks that don't happen at lower pressures... that's why it's good to tighten the pressure range up, your mask fit is better done at your normal pressure. Looks like turning off your humidifier didn't hurt you at all... I would not leave old water in the tank, rinse it, dry it out, and put it back in.

03:35:45 you had a big FL, kicking your pressure up... with a nice Snore. 8cm might have controlled this, that's where the machine took you afterward.

You have a lot of 'comfort' features on... 'soft' and EPR 3. Also some constant low-level leaking with spikes of more as noted above. You might try upping your min to 8cm for a while and see how that goes. The more you can limit pressure changes the better your sleep will be... looking good! Thanks for the graphs.

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:37 pm

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:00 am
bitteroblivion wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:41 pm
vandownbytheriver wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:05 pm
Did you join SleepHQ? Time to post a shared link to a night here then.
just did. here you go - appreciate it!

https://sleephq.com/public/925a63ad-ca6 ... f0a7436eaa

https://sleephq.com/public/ce973ab2-2e1 ... 1618c149a9

https://sleephq.com/public/a1da256f-444 ... bc911d0a5e
Wednesday... 05:22:30 looks like a leak aroused you... you had an FL that pumped up your pressure, had a leak, then adjusted your mask, then drifted back off and popped a CA (normal). When the pressure moves around it can show leaks that don't happen at lower pressures... that's why it's good to tighten the pressure range up, your mask fit is better done at your normal pressure. Looks like turning off your humidifier didn't hurt you at all... I would not leave old water in the tank, rinse it, dry it out, and put it back in.

03:35:45 you had a big FL, kicking your pressure up... with a nice Snore. 8cm might have controlled this, that's where the machine took you afterward.

You have a lot of 'comfort' features on... 'soft' and EPR 3. Also some constant low-level leaking with spikes of more as noted above. You might try upping your min to 8cm for a while and see how that goes. The more you can limit pressure changes the better your sleep will be... looking good! Thanks for the graphs.
wow thank you so much, so cool you can tell all of that from looking at my data :) I have no more sessions with the sleep therapist (we did about one a week for the last month to get adjusted) but makes sense about the comfort features - they knew I have a lot of health/sleep anxiety overall so I'm not surprised!

I will say, I probably didn't have my n30 mask on AS tight as it could/should be - this is because I also sleep with an eye mask over my nasal mask and it's a lot of pressure on the back of my head. But I think tonight i am going to suck it up, tighten it real good, and up the pressure to 8 instead of 7 and see what happens! Can always report back :)

I don't know much about EPR - is this something i should consider increasing?

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:38 pm

bitteroblivion wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:37 pm
(snip)
You're at max! It's a comfort setting that can affect your therapy in different ways depending on your pressures. At lower pressures it tends to blow off too much CO2, reducing your breath-drive... at higher pressures it is needed to remove CO2. Don't worry about it now, but you can try reducing it from 3 to 2 and see what it does. Just enjoy the hose and pressure for now. Good job.

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:54 am

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:38 pm
bitteroblivion wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:37 pm
(snip)
You're at max! It's a comfort setting that can affect your therapy in different ways depending on your pressures. At lower pressures it tends to blow off too much CO2, reducing your breath-drive... at higher pressures it is needed to remove CO2. Don't worry about it now, but you can try reducing it from 3 to 2 and see what it does. Just enjoy the hose and pressure for now. Good job.
well a little update - slept even worse the night it was at 8. then last night -2nd night trying with pressure 8 - I was struggling to fall asleep (felt like I couldn't exhale properly and my chest was heavy) so I turned it back down to 7 and felt immediate relief. Guess EPR is a good idea for me :( therapeutically, my apneas were being almost 100% treated at pressure levels of 4 and 5 - my scores were similarly 0.4, 0.3, 0.6 etc. We moved it up to 7 because at the time I was using the dreamwear mask which felt like it was suffocating me and like I needed more air - but I don't feel the same way now that I use the n30. I wonder if higher pressures just aren't the right fit for me - is that a thing?

I'm checking out the last 2 nights data and I've had very little leaking (leak rate median 0, leak rate 95% 2.40, 99.5% 3.60) but still woke up 10-15 times and felt restless as hell - like feels like I'm running on an hour of sleep. So i'm not sure what the heck is going on or how to fix it. Today marks day 35 of treatment and my sleep has oddly gotten worse over time. Basically the first week was insane - virtually no sleep, felt like I was going crazy - then eased up once I switched masks, but now feels worse than it did when I had relief from the mask change. Feeling a lot of pressure now to try and get some actual freaking sleep as I leave for Europe on Saturday for a couple weeks solo.

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 am

bitteroblivion wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:54 am
I wonder if higher pressures just aren't the right fit for me - is that a thing?
If you can't tolerate it, that's determinate. Your machine was taking you there before, you were just asleep. Post another SHQ! Have fun in EU, been a while for me.

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:25 am

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 am
bitteroblivion wrote:
I wonder if higher pressures just aren't the right fit for me - is that a thing?
If you can't tolerate it, that's determinate. Your machine was taking you there before, you were just asleep. Post another SHQ! Have fun in EU, been a while for me.
Here you go! Admittedly out of frustration and desperation to sleep last night I turned the pressure down to 6.2 lol, figured try something new.

last night at 6.2 https://sleephq.com/public/0d2e694e-f06 ... bb9b5ee915
night before at 8 https://sleephq.com/public/2abd4327-867 ... 73b3ba0ddb

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:45 am

At 6.2, you don't get the full benefit of your EPR for some of the time. That's because the lowest pressure the machine can deliver is 4. So for consistent EPR of 3, your minimum needs to be at least 7.

If you want to try an experiment, you could also set your maximum to 7, which would eliminate pressure changes. I suggest this on the off-chance that pressure changes contribute to the fragility of your sleep.

Before you travel, get a prescription for a sleep aid. I think that will help you as you cope with the extra complication of time-changes. And while there's no need to change the water in your humidifier when you're at home and using distilled water, you do want to empty and dry your water chamber when you're using tap or bottled water. It's not a health issue; it's just that the heating plate can get chewed up a little by chemicals in the water.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:40 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:45 am
At 6.2, you don't get the full benefit of your EPR for some of the time. That's because the lowest pressure the machine can deliver is 4. So for consistent EPR of 3, your minimum needs to be at least 7.

If you want to try an experiment, you could also set your maximum to 7, which would eliminate pressure changes. I suggest this on the off-chance that pressure changes contribute to the fragility of your sleep.

Before you travel, get a prescription for a sleep aid. I think that will help you as you cope with the extra complication of time-changes. And while there's no need to change the water in your humidifier when you're at home and using distilled water, you do want to empty and dry your water chamber when you're using tap or bottled water. It's not a health issue; it's just that the heating plate can get chewed up a little by chemicals in the water.
update - i just got back from the sleep clinic and they had me try the p10 mask but were surprised by the size of my nostrils and think even the XS could be too big. I took it home to test and it is an absolute no. They were thinking the direct pressure would help any wake ups from leaking, IF that is the issue. I will be sticking to my n30 as it is the only mask I've felt I've been able to actually breathe with, even though I almost think their smallest size is still a little too big for me.

I can definitely try to set the min and max to the same number! I feel like I'm having almost no apneas whatsoever, about 1 clear airway a night and i believe that's while being awake, so this seems like a reasonable experiment, thank you :) Moving forward I will stick with 7 since that's what's been working for the last few weeks, agreed 6.2 is too low.

Just bought the air mini for travel so no worries about water chambers - but funny you should mention a sleep aid, I had a realization about an hour or two ago that I think that's where I'm @ at this point. I've tried everything, so maybe I just need the extra help for awhile because something has got to give - I feel like I'm going crazy and my mental health is starting to be affected now. Going to call the doctor tomorrow!

Appreciate all your help

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:43 am

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:11 am
bitteroblivion wrote:
well. taking into consideration how my sleep was better in March and trying my best to figure out if ANYTHING has changed recently, I realized I started taking Zinc in the mornings a little over a week ago. I looked into this on a whim and saw a lot of people on reddit talking about how they would wake up like 12 times a night have a very restless sleep stuck in an awake-like state, bruxism worse etc - which sounds exactly like what's going on. I've been known to be sensitive to medications (ashwaganda at night had the same affect on me last year) so I'm wondering if this is the true problem. With cpap I was definitely waking up more than I'm used to in the last month since being diagnosed, but things have become drastically worse so I'm thinking I cracked the code! I will be ceasing supplementation immediately lol.

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:11 am

bitteroblivion wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:43 am
I will be ceasing supplementation immediately lol.
Lots of us taking magnesium citrate/etc... that's a good one. Zinc? Not sure on that.

bitteroblivion

Post by bitteroblivion » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:17 am

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:11 am
bitteroblivion wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:43 am
I will be ceasing supplementation immediately lol.
Lots of us taking magnesium citrate/etc... that's a good one. Zinc? Not sure on that.
I've always taken magnesium glycinate at night to sleep :) I was just trying Zinc out to help with my immune system because I've been getting sick a lot lately