Newbie and confused.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bran

Newbie and confused.

Post by bran » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

HI all. I'm getting on a bit, read as much as I could on this great forum before posting but eyes bad has have Myasthenia Gravis which causes double vision at times and horrible tech wise as only just found out what a card reader is, so rant over, and please, please, bear with me. 2 months ago went to a sleep centre did all the studies, and they found 345 apneas plus oxygen level or something very low at 61%. Anyway got fitted with a Resmed Aircurve 11 BiPap machine and with a P30i nose mask as I can't keep my mouth closed and all this mucous stuff comes out plus I am a stomach sleeper. Brought a chin strap, hooks to stick above the bed so the hose didn't go all over the place and even ordered a hurricane dryer, so trying to take this all seriously. Took to it reasonably well I think as the Apneas or events as they call them went down to around just under 10 average, albeit nose very sore and didn't like with my condition the air getting into my eyes from the nose vents. Did have issues with the pressures they put me on and can't quite remember originally but was taking such deep breaths in and out that they altered it to now Ipap 15 Epap 6 ramp time 20 mins. Think I got that right. Better. Not taking such deep breaths. Also, although Im getting my info in the MyAir App, Resmed have only been able to record 5 days out of 14 for some reason and they are looking into it. I'm hoping that you might be able to assist me in the near future by trying to understand how to show you graphs and things that I have seen others do, which normally I'm quite incapable of..still on Windows 7(so that shows you, but learning on an iMac.) I like statistics and would like to see and how to find more info than what my app says as when I went to show them the results(which they can see anyway,when it works probably, she showed me other graphs that I couldn't see or know how to see. I tried to download this Oscar thing mentioned here but had issues and just too technical for me at present.

I do question a few things though. How is it possible to record any "events" in 55 minutes when you have not been asleep at all and then they state you had 10.9 events plus during that time when I was fiddling around with the mask, as air was escaping and again during that time stated 0 leaks? I'm a bit of a cynic and seriously wonder how this machine can be totally accurate as opposed to relying on algorithms. Although I'm old school as still use pen and paper, do understand how technology has made life better for most(not all)

Anyway, I was back again at the Sleep Center and they gave me another mask to try out which so far has been a slight disaster when I thought this would be great. F30i Full face mask, so going over my mouth might help me keep it shut, although they said I could also breath out of nose and mouth, but trying to keep mouth shut, as for my MG condition, tablets I have to take make me drool saliva like a dog. First night I hardly got any sleep at all, although it recorded only 7.5 events, had the mask on and off at least 9 times. What nobody told me was that the air coming from the mouth piece is like a blast of cold air hitting up to 18 inches away. I put one arm under my pillow and the other arm on top and now have to move that....best position for me now is sleeping on my back but after a lifetime of sleeping on stomach or side, I just can't do this unless very early in the morning when most of my apneas appear. Last night(had this for two nights now and will try and persevere) was slightly better in the sleep dept albeit just couldn't get the mask right as woke up several times to it having come off my mouth area and when I tighten it, i hear air hissing elsewhere(and again the app states air vol only around 9.00 loss) so was trying to get this right plus for whatever reason my nostrils get bunged up and wonder should i keep my mouth open as well?
Anyway, events over 16, the highest since I started over 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps Im just not giving this enough time and complaining too much so again pls forgive the long post.......I think the full facemask is perhaps better but gets in the way with the way I sleep and I dislodge it, whereas I can get more sleep with the nose pillow as less invasive, but will have to get used to the nose soreness, slight air going into my eyes which is not good, but I can get more sleep. They suggested that I wear a black-out mask over the eyes to stop the air, but with the chin strap, the P30i, felt too much pressure all around.

So any and all tips really appreciated and again, i apologize for the book form saga.

zonker

Re: Newbie and confused.

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:14 am

bran wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

I do question a few things though. How is it possible to record any "events" in 55 minutes when you have not been asleep at all and then they state you had 10.9 events plus during that time when I was fiddling around with the mask, as air was escaping and again during that time stated 0 leaks?

Santa Claus knows when you're asleep or not. unfortunately, a cpap machine does not. all the machine is doing is trying to keep your airway from collapsing. that's it. that's it's purpose.

you mention not being tech savvy. that's going to make it harder to give you any advice. there is software available that could help you if you'd like to go that route.

but also, there are going to be some folks that will attempt to help you without the software. let's see what they have to say.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

bran

Post by bran » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

you mention not being tech savvy. that's going to make it harder to give you any advice. there is software available that could help you if you'd like to go that route.

Certainly give it a good go, not too bad, I managed to copy and paste plus make bold, so one step off the idiot ladder :D :D
Many thx for the swift reply...been reading this forum now for 3 hours, fascinating, but going to give the eyes a rest.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:30 am

bran wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am

Certainly give it a good go, not too bad, I managed to copy and paste plus make bold, so one step off the idiot ladder :D :D
Many thx for the swift reply...been reading this forum now for 3 hours, fascinating, but going to give the eyes a rest.
once your eyes have rested (and your brain too!), you might want to give the software a go, if your feeling brave. :wink:

viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... Hints.html

and the download is in the links at the bottom of my post.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

Welcome to the forum bran.
bran wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am
I do question a few things though. How is it possible to record any "events" in 55 minutes when you have not been asleep at all and then they state you had 10.9 events plus during that time when I was fiddling around with the mask, as air was escaping and again during that time stated 0 leaks?
Easy. The machine does not know whether you're asleep or awake. It sees irregular breathing patterns (typical of wakefulness) and the if irregularity fits the definition of apnea or hypopnea, that what the machine reports. Totally independent of whether you're asleep or awake.

Look for Remed's mask-fitting videos and instructions. They show you how to fit the mask properly, and (at least for the F30) what to do when leaks appear from this place and not that.

I can you tell from personal experience that the F30 has an excellent diffuser and does not blow cold air anywhere. Ask your suppliers about a diffuser for the F30i

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 pm

About your sleep position: You might want to try this for stomach-sleeping:

wiki/index.php/Sleep_Positions

For some people who use CPAP, this is a big help.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

bran

Post by bran » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm

I can you tell from personal experience that the F30 has an excellent diffuser and does not blow cold air anywhere. Ask your suppliers about a diffuser for the F30i

Isn't the only difference between the F30 and F30i that the hose attachment on the i rests on the head?

Thanks, but not sure though what you mean by asking my supplier about a diffuser? Apparently the front part is meant to blow air(if that is what you are referring to as a diffuser). Mine, as all the others, have small holes in the front that blow air and yet you say yours does not blow “cold” air anywhere. Mine is quite powerful. Unless I am missing something, and you are referring to an additional attachment which I can't seem to find?

Great forum and so much info here......working through one thing at a time. Thx to all.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:56 pm

What are your pressure settings?

bran

Post by bran » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 pm

Ipap 15 Epap 6 ramp time 20 mins. P/S 4.....

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 am

bran wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm

Isn't the only difference between the F30 and F30i that the hose attachment on the i rests on the head?
No.
Thanks, but not sure though what you mean by asking my supplier about a diffuser? Apparently the front part is meant to blow air(if that is what you are referring to as a diffuser). Mine, as all the others, have small holes in the front that blow air and yet you say yours does not blow “cold” air anywhere. Mine is quite powerful. Unless I am missing something, and you are referring to an additional attachment which I can't seem to find?
I'm referring to possible additional attachment for the F30i. The F30 masks only vent through the hose attachment. The F30i has those necessary additional holes.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bran

Post by bran » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:03 pm

Ok, thx...