Any reason Airsense 10 is waking me more than 560p

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlizzardUK

Any reason Airsense 10 is waking me more than 560p

Post by BlizzardUK » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:22 pm

I have used a 560p RemStar Respironics unit for many years now, always great. I bought a pre-owned Airsense 10 last week as I liked the look of it and it seemed more modern, but I have found I keep getting woken up a couple of times a night by air blasting out of the mask around my nose, or sometimes I suddenly wake up hearing a really odd whooshing gasping noise out of the mask for a few seconds then when awoken it stops. I am not sure if that is my throat trying to get air and then when awake the noise stops, it is odd though as I can be awake/aware for 2 seconds before the noise stops suddenly. Yet last night I slept with my old 560p and it was fine, and I was using the same mask (P10) and the same titration levels (9 to 16).

Yes, I guess I should just stick with the 560p, but why would there be a difference between the machines when using the same mask and titration levels ? The machine shows a very low 0.5 AHI and smiley face for mask leak for all nights I have used it, even if I have been woken up a few times with the above mentioned annoyances. I am using EPR and have set the mask type to pillows.

vandownbytheriver

Re: Any reason Airsense 10 is waking me more than 560p

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm

BlizzardUK wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:22 pm
I have used a 560p RemStar Respironics unit for many years now, always great. I bought a pre-owned Airsense 10 last week as I liked the look of it and it seemed more modern, but I have found I keep getting woken up a couple of times a night by air blasting out of the mask around my nose, or sometimes I suddenly wake up hearing a really odd whooshing gasping noise out of the mask for a few seconds then when awoken it stops. I am not sure if that is my throat trying to get air and then when awake the noise stops, it is odd though as I can be awake/aware for 2 seconds before the noise stops suddenly. Yet last night I slept with my old 560p and it was fine, and I was using the same mask (P10) and the same titration levels (9 to 16).

Yes, I guess I should just stick with the 560p, but why would there be a difference between the machines when using the same mask and titration levels ? The machine shows a very low 0.5 AHI and smiley face for mask leak for all nights I have used it, even if I have been woken up a few times with the above mentioned annoyances. I am using EPR and have set the mask type to pillows.
Your Airsense 10 is a great machine... not sure what exact problem you're having... but some charts or graphs would help here.

Typically we recommend Oscar:

www.sleepfiles.com/oscar

or SleepHQ:

www.sleephq.com

for analyzing CPAP data. Your machine should have an SD card in it... if it does then we're good... if not, get any drugstore SD card below or equal to 32gig and stick it in there and record a few nights. It could be there's a problem with the machine or the settings... Oscar or SleepHQ plots would help us help you.

Oscar is free software... SleepHQ has a free trial period. Here's one of my SleepHQ nights last December, note the mouth leak at 3:15am:

https://sleephq.com/public/0a2adc38-6ac ... d330799694

Tape job failed!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 pm

I agree that Resmed are superior machines.
I suspect your problems will vanish once you get used to the Airsense;
and you will wonder how you ever tolerated the Respironics.

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 am

The machines used different algorithms. That is, they have different instructions for identifying and responding to you breathing events.
Once you get an SD card you will be able to see what makes the ResMed machine shoot to higher pressures than the Respironics.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

BlizzardUK

Post by BlizzardUK » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 pm

Here is an example of both, I notice the pressure levels appear very different between both machines.........

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:00 am

BlizzardUK wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:22 pm
I keep getting woken up a couple of times a night by air blasting out of the mask around my nose,
I guess that is the difference between a BiPap and a bilevel.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188038&p=1453883#p1453887
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:03 am

BlizzardUK wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 pm
Here is an example of both, I notice the pressure levels appear very different between both machines.........
(snip)
You have EPR/Flex max on both machines. Turns out that when Resmed EPR is used the effect is that the Inhale is *higher*, things being left in auto... so your base pressure becomes the high pressure of the other device.

Watch how Nick explains EPR/Flex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXA0ZIWj1Y