Feeling short of breath while turning over in bed.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ruthienyc

Feeling short of breath while turning over in bed.

Post by Ruthienyc » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm

I’ve been using a CPap machine now for about 4 1/2 years. For about the past three years, when turning over in bed, I feel short of breath. I open my mouth to exhale once or twice and then I’m fine. This does not happen every time I turn over. This had me very concerned. I have had cardiac tests done and all normal. I came across an article yesterday that says some people have a hard time exhaling with CPAP. It only happens intermittently and with turning over in bed. Has anyone else experienced this? And what was done about it?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Feeling short of breath while turning over in bed.

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:00 pm

Ruthienyc wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 pm
It only happens intermittently and with turning over in bed.
Quit turning over in bed.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:01 pm

Seriously, if I had a "problem" that minor, I would ignore it and relax.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:04 pm

Are you holding your breath? I notice I do when I turn over. I have an elaborate system of pillows, stabilizing the mask, getting everything just so, and I tend to hold my breath in the process. Plus, I'm not in the best of physical shape. But it's transient and nothing I worry about. It's good that your tests all came out OK.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:21 pm

Ruthienyc wrote:
I’ve been using a CPap machine now for about 4 1/2 years. For about the past three years, when turning over in bed, I feel short of breath. I open my mouth to exhale once or twice and then I’m fine. (snip)
This is a great technique for nasal and pillows masks if you're feeling de-satted... and you haven't taped your mouth! I used this technique often when out of breath, say, climbing the stairs and straight into bed, or, as your case noted, a strenuous roll-over. It's also good for newbies trying to get acclimated... when I first started therapy I was having panic attacks quite often... low O2 triggered them hard... eliminating re-breathing for a short time helped a lot... when calmed down then go back to full-nose.

Of course now I'm older and weaker and have the mouth leaks associated with REM muscle tone loss (dry mouth!)... so I tape my mouth. Even with FF mask I tape... no drooling or dry mouth then for sure, and it actually helps with jaw drop too. I do have a Knightsbridge dual-strap on the way.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:12 pm

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:21 pm
Even with FF mask I tape... no drooling or dry mouth then for sure, and it actually helps with jaw drop too.
ozij wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:34 pm
There you go, Ozij. Another person who has figured out tape is a great adjunct to FFMs. It prevents dry mouth, jaw drop, and broken pressure seal caused by jaw drop when using an FFM. There are not many of us who know this, but more FFM users could benefit from learning and using tape.

But, I don't know why he needs a chin strap if he is taping properly. :?:

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:07 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:12 pm
(snip)
But, I don't know why he needs a chin strap if he is taping properly. :?:
I have fetishized my condition... the one with the most paraphernalia at the end wins!

Actually, I've found that the jaw drop still matters... I have to tuck my chin or the bottom of the Simplus can leak against the chin. I do have a medium cushion on the way, the large is just a little too tall... getting into the eyes etc. I'd rather try this than the chin cushion thing... but who knows, I'm collecting cpap crap! Bought the stupid tongue suckers... man, *that* was an ironic choice, in that you have to be a sucker to buy them. Might try the boil-n-bite things too. Also battling a prolapsed palate... very positional, supine and to my left... slap! it goes... but only after a night of 16cm it seems. Been popping some 0's lately... but I'm still scheduling a titration for cpap-bilevel. Waking, then going back for more seems to be the order of the day.

icipher

Post by icipher » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:22 am

Ruthienyc wrote:
I’ve been using a CPap machine now for about 4 1/2 years. For about the past three years, when turning over in bed, I feel short of breath. I open my mouth to exhale once or twice and then I’m fine. This does not happen every time I turn over. This had me very concerned. I have had cardiac tests done and all normal. I came across an article yesterday that says some people have a hard time exhaling with CPAP. It only happens intermittently and with turning over in bed. Has anyone else experienced this? And what was done about it?
This happens to me at times as well. I am otherwise in good health. The only hypothesis I have is that up until the moment I roll over, my heart rate is slow as my body is not demanding much oxygen. Once I roll over, which uses my full body to do, my heart has to quickly pickup to meet that demand, which can cause a temporary feeling of the need for more air. I would encourage you to try to not worry too much about it as that will only make the sensation more noticeable.