VA females users?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ht538

VA females users?

Post by Ht538 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:48 pm

I just shifted to VA care from normal military and got a new CPAP machine to replace my prior ResMed for Her. They sent me the regular ResMed. I had a very rocky road to CPAP and difficulty tolerating eventually switching to an oral device. I have been using the oral device successfully until recently when it was no longer working as well. I am easily roused and never exceeded the 12cm pressures. I am worried that the regular machine will be too aggressive and not be a good match for my lower pressure tend to be hypopneas.

1. Have any women here had luck getting a For Her machine from VA?
2. Do those who have more difficulty tolerating the regular algorithm find the For Her easier to tolerate?

I’m only considering the machine again out of desperation and my doc recommending starting CPAP again for non restorative sleep.

Deborah K.

Re: VA females users?

Post by Deborah K. » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:22 pm

I had the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her and used it successfully for several years. I assume you do not still have your For Her version. I'm not a veteran, but I can't think why they would not allow you to exchange your present machine for the For Her version unless that version is no longer available.

Have you downloaded OSCAR? It's free and gives detailed daily reports of your sleep each night. The folks here and on Apnea Board can give you good advice to make your therapy both more effective and more comfortable. It may be that you will find you can do just as well or better than you did on your prior machine with the advice you receive.

Don't give up! Once you have your treatment dialed in you will love sleeping with your machine, honestly. :)
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:28 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:22 pm
can't think why they would not allow you to exchange your present machine for the For Her version unless that version is no longer available.
Not 100% sure but I think that they quit producing the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her model when they came out with the AirSense 11 AutoSet which has the "for Her" auto mode built in to it.

If the OP could get the AirSense 11 AutoSet instead of the AirSense 10 AutoSet....she would have the for Her mode available.

Now getting the VA to do it.....probably won't be easy.

The AirSense 11 AutoSet has 3 modes available for use.

1...fixed cpap mode
2...auto adjusting mode (commonly called apap)
3...the for Her auto adjusting algorithm mode

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:04 am

"Thank you for your service."---
(followed by a boot to the head.)
Damn, we really need to behave a lot better.
:evil:

Ht538

Post by Ht538 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:40 am

Thanks to all who responded. I’ll ask about the 11 as maybe that will be more of an option that a “For Her”. I don’t have my old machine as I really had some negative feelings towards the whole CPAP thing and was relieved to get a dental device that worked so I got rid of it. Now I’m glad to have the helpful folks here as a once again go on this journey!