new user suffering from dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shirish

new user suffering from dry mouth

Post by shirish » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:58 pm

Hello everyone. I have just started CPAP a little over 2 weeks ago. I used the N30i mask (nasal cushion) in the first week, but kept I had poor sleep due to the mask leaking when I turned in bed. I switched to the P30i mask (nasal pillow) and the leaks have pretty much stopped. The main problem is that I get woken up in the middle of the night with a completely dry mouth. I have started taping my mouth (3M micropore tape) using a large piece of tape so air has no chance of escaping, and I still have this problem. I am considering going to a mask like the F30i, but I am not sure it will solve this. What should I try?

Pugsy

Re: new user suffering from dry mouth

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:25 pm

Can you confirm if the tape is still stuck solidly when you wake up in the morning with the dry mouth?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shirish

Post by shirish » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:43 pm

The tape is stuck on solidly when I wake up. When I was using smaller pieces of tape, I had air escaping from the sides of my mouth from time to time. The larger piece (2” wide and long enough to extend 1” past my mouth on either side) of tape does not allow any air to escape through my mouth. The numbers from last night are: leakage 15.6 L/minute and 0.1 events/hr. My therapy was initially set to between 8 cmH2O to 12 cmH2O. I lowered it to between 7 and 11 cmH2O, but still experienced dry mouth.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:56 pm

Do you take any medications of any kind? If so, what?
Any other health conditions that might make the dry mouth worse?

What is your humidity setting?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shirish

Post by shirish » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:05 pm

I just take Vitamin D and occasionally take a sleeping aid (Trazodone 50mg) that has been prescribed by the nurse at the sleep clinic for use during the adjustment to CPAP. I don’t remember any correlation between the Trazodone and the dry mouth, but maybe I have not been paying attention.

I have not modified the humidity setting from the default setting on a new machine. I will check tonight.

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:22 am

Watch some Lanky videos on mouth-taping... you have to tuck your lips in. I had to start shaving! lost the mutton-chop mustache too. Ended up with two vertical strips on each side then one horizontal one across.

Here's the test... you wake up with dry taped mouth? Puff your cheeks and pressurize... you'll find the air leak, generally in a corner.

ElusiveSleep

Post by ElusiveSleep » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:18 pm

I suffered from dry mouth and would wake up in middle of night and have to take a drink of water from a cup on my nightstand. After I starting using Xylimelts (cheapest on Amazon), problem has been solved. I only use one per night. Apply tablet to outer gum (it kind of just sticks there) before putting on mask. Initially you feel a little bulge on your cheek, but after using for a few weeks you won't even notice it.