Any way to make a heavy climate-control hose less awkward?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
UsableThought

Any way to make a heavy climate-control hose less awkward?

Post by UsableThought » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:21 am

Specifically, the hose I am wrestling with is the ResMed ClimateLineAir Heated Tube; but if you've had to tame a similarly heavy, stiff hose, your thoughts would still be appreciated.

Some quick background: Back in 2012, I learned to set up & use CPAP for obstructive sleep apnea. I was severely overweight and once I lost the weight, the apnea diminished to the point I no longer needed CPAP. All that gear went into the closet. This past summer I once again developed apnea, this time because of a new medication regimen for my Restless Legs Syndrome - two of the drugs are known to exacerbate pre-existing vulnerability to apnea. So I’m back to re-learning how to use my shiny new APAP machine & also back to trying to get comfortable with my new gear. In particular, the ClimateLineAir Heated Tube that I’m using with an AirSense 10 APAP machine is providing quite awkward in concert with my AirFit F30 mask.

I remember from my experience back in 2012 that a heated hose is helpful for good humidification, but back then my mask was a ResMed Quattro FX, which had to be strapped quite tight to my face; so maybe the hose being heavy wasn't as big a deal. Now, with the much lighter, lightly strapped F30, I find that when I change position in bed, the ClimateLine hose is so heavy and stiff that it often drags on the mask and create small leaks; plus even without a leak, if I am awake the feeling on my face of the mask being pulled on by the hose is uncomfortable. If I fuss with how the hose lies on top of the blankets I can flop it into a position where it no longer tugs; but all that fussing takes time away from getting back to sleep.

With my old set-up, I didn't like the way the hose went off to the side & also that it lay on top of the blankets. As a solution I bought a CPAP Hose Lift System - essentially a strut that goes under the head of the bed so the middle of the hose can be suspended from it. It worked well. However the new ClimateLineAir hose looks to be too short to work with the strut, so I haven’t even tried it yet. I don't want to change to a more tightly strapped mask, as I much prefer the lightweight mask, plus would also like to experiment with nasal pillows. I guess I could switch to a a non-heated hose if necessary - the one that came with the AirSense 10 looks fairly light-weight - but then there is the question of rain-out, given that I sleep in a very cool bedroom and it's winter & the air is dry.

So my question: Has anyone else struggled with a heavy climate-control hose tugging on your mask or nasal pillows; and if yes, how did you solve it?

Conrad

Re: Any way to make a heavy climate-control hose less awkward?

Post by Conrad » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:13 am

I use the same hose and I know what you're talking about.

I use a very simple hose manager. It's just a ring, made from a cable tie that has an eyelet, that's attached to the wall behind the bed (no headboard). The hose goes into the ring and gets supported there.

Check this out, my son uses something like this with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/LONYEON-CPAP-Hos ... hdGY&psc=1
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

UsableThought

Post by UsableThought » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 am

Thanks for replying. The gadget I have left over from 2012, the CPAP Hose Lift System, is essentially the same as what your son is using (as shown in the Amazon photo). I have it stored & I guess I can set it up & try it.

I’m still skeptical about the hose being so stiff - it still has the abrupt kinks in it that resulted from how it was packaged & these kinks worsen the tendency of the hose to tug against my lightweight mask if the hose isn’t in exactly the right position. But we’ll see.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:49 pm

UsableThought wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 am
Now, with the much lighter, lightly strapped F30
This can be easily solved by switching to the F30i. It's the same mask with the hose attaching to the headgear. The hose can pull on the headgear without pulling on the mask.

F30i: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

Cecioboe

Post by Cecioboe » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:25 pm

You might get some CPAP tube clips (check Amazon) that secure the hose to the top corner of your mattress (sheet). That will hold it so you can thread it under your pillow and have it move less. I did that before rigging it to drape over my headboard.
CPAP since May 25, 2021
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
N30 mask

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:37 pm

My gear looks like a passive fishing setup
Fishing pole, swivel plant hanger, and duck tape,
with hair bungees through the line guides.
Completely weightless--and it swivels when I roll over.
Martha Stewart would freak--but I've never done time.

UsableThought

Post by UsableThought » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:49 pm
This can be easily solved by switching to the F30i. It's the same mask with the hose attaching to the headgear. The hose can pull on the headgear without pulling on the mask.
Thanks for the idea. I did look at the F30i when I was shopping but was put off by some reviews that said it was noisier due to the design - I am very noise-sensitive. But assuming CPAP.com would allow a return if I didn’t like it, seems like a good idea to try it out.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm

UsableThought wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm
But assuming CPAP.com would allow a return if I didn’t like it
-------------> https://www.cpap.com/returns#30-day-ris ... ask-policy

UsableThought wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm
it was noisier due to the design - I am very noise-sensitive.
Can't comment. I run a brown noise app on an old smartphone and don't hear anything.

UsableThought

Post by UsableThought » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:16 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:41 pm
Can't comment. I run a brown noise app on an old smartphone and don't hear anything.
Normally for white noise I run nature sounds (low-grade thunderstorm) in the background on my old tablet . . . but now with CPAP, I turn off the thunderstorm because I can't hear it for all the wooshing noises.

FYI I did buy the F30i to try out.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:39 pm

I never connect the climateline tube directly to a mask, especially where the hose goes directly to the mask, like over the nose. The climateline is just too heavy duty and rigid for direct use for me. Always use a bridge, lightweight, flexible tube segment...sometimes those come with the mask. If not I got a couple of those "featherweight" tube extensions a long time ago that I use if the mask doesn't have a built-in lightweight, flexible hose. Even with the Dreamwear nasal mask or AirFit N30i style masks where the tube comes off the top of the mask. That, in combination with a one of those "tube holders" where the tubing comes out of the sky *smile* makes things work for me. No tubing management problem, it just works.

Just looked up the featherweight tube extension on cpap.com, called "Sleepweaver featherweight tube", 1.5ft long. Very lightweight and very flexible. As I recall, heard about this from Pugsy a lonnnng time ago *smile*. Don't need it with my current AirFit N30 mask, but used a lot with the Dreamwear nasal mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 pm

Here's the link to the Circadiance SleepWeaver Featherweight hose/tube for anyone interested.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/circad ... -cpap-tube

I have seen this hose....it's amazingly flexible and weighs next to nothing.
It has a female end and a male end so it will fit your long heated (or non heated hose) and your mask.
No need for any special adapters.
It's cheap at slightly less than $15. To buy it alone you will have additional shipping costs but bundled with something else that makes the total over $99 and there is free shipping.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

UsableThought

Post by UsableThought » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:09 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 pm
It has a female end and a male end so it will fit your long heated (or non heated hose) and your mask. No need for any special adapters.
It sounds like a great idea . . . but would it really fit non-SleepWeaver gear? The product page on CPAP.com describes it only as an accessory for the "SleepWeaver mask" - no mention of other brands of CPAP machines and/or masks. If it was something that could be adapted to other brands, surely they'd say so, since it would generate more sales that way?

Plus RogerSC says he only ever used it with a SleepWeaver mask. And when I search on CPAP.com for "featherweight" I only find that page for the SleepWeaver tube; and ditto if I search for "lightweight tube" or "lightweight hose".

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:36 pm

UsableThought wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:09 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:51 pm
It has a female end and a male end so it will fit your long heated (or non heated hose) and your mask. No need for any special adapters.
It sounds like a great idea . . . but would it really fit non-SleepWeaver gear? The product page on CPAP.com describes it only as an accessory for the "SleepWeaver mask" - no mention of other brands of CPAP machines and/or masks. If it was something that could be adapted to other brands, surely they'd say so, since it would generate more sales that way?

Plus RogerSC says he only ever used it with a SleepWeaver mask. And when I search on CPAP.com for "featherweight" I only find that page for the SleepWeaver tube; and ditto if I search for "lightweight tube" or "lightweight hose".
I tried it a while back...it worked with the masks that I tried it with (2 or 3 nasal pillow masks) just to see how it did with fitting other masks.

Someone donated it is how I got my hands on it.

I don't own nor never have owned any Circadiance mask.

Suit yourself. You asked for an option and you got an option to try....and I was kind enough to give you a direct link to the product.
Your choice whether to try it or not.
As to why they don't market it as something for all masks.....I dunno...ask them.

It's been discussed here on the forum and others have used it with non Circadiance masks.
Over 8 pages of posts about it. Start reading.
search.php?keywords=featherweight

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 am

UsableThought wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:09 am
Thanks for replying. The gadget I have left over from 2012, the CPAP Hose Lift System, is essentially the same as what your son is using (as shown in the Amazon photo). I have it stored & I guess I can set it up & try it.

I’m still skeptical about the hose being so stiff - it still has the abrupt kinks in it that resulted from how it was packaged & these kinks worsen the tendency of the hose to tug against my lightweight mask if the hose isn’t in exactly the right position. But we’ll see.
I know what you mean about the kinks/bends left over from the tube being in the package. If you take the hose and place it in a large bowl (or something else that will work) of hot water, not so hot that it burns you, and leave it for 5 mins or so, then take it out and hang the hose up, either by one end (if you have a tall space that will work) or, as I do, hang the tube by the middle of the tube. The kinks will straighten up a bit. Not perfectly but way more than if you didn't do anything.

I soak my tubing once a week in a hot water/vinegar solution, hanging it up behind my bedroom door to dry, and the kinks are practically gone now.
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

UsableThought

Post by UsableThought » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:43 am

Conrad wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:57 am
If you take the hose and place it in a large bowl (or something else that will work) of hot water, not so hot that it burns you, and leave it for 5 mins or so, then take it out and hang the hose up, either by one end (if you have a tall space that will work) or, as I do, hang the tube by the middle of the tube. The kinks will straighten up a bit.
Thanks, I’ll try that.