Replacement Machine Reccomendations

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Silicon1172

Replacement Machine Reccomendations

Post by Silicon1172 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:23 am

Hi All,

I have a F&P Icon Auto, which I've enjoyed for several reasons:
  • Doesn't seem to get sued weekly like Phillips / Resmed
  • The parts are relatively cheap and available on Amazon (masks, filters, lid, humidifier chamber etc)
  • Doesn't look as medical, can sort of come off as an alarm clock
  • I've adapted very quickly to it and have used it for ~6 years
  • Uses a USB thumbdrive, not the internet, for compliance data, etc. This isn't a big deal, but I'd like to avoid having more stuff on my network
But it's starting to fail -- if I unplug it, it won't turn on unless I keep unplugging it, or sometimes when it sits for a while. I've read it's a failing capacitor, but since that's within the passage of air I inhale, I probably don't want to breathe in that.

I'm looking for a new APAP that is the usual 5-20 setting. My old DME told me "they have a machine for me for $2,800", but cpap.com has one for $399 (ResMed 10) and another one for $989 (ResMed10). I can't figure out why there are three different numbers I'm getting to solve this.

I use a full face mask with humidifier and heated hose, I feel like those are all pretty necessary.

Any suggestions? I'm open to Phillips / Resmed too btw.
Last edited by Silicon1172 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: Replacement Machine Reccomendations

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:15 pm

Are you wanting your insurance to pay for the new machine or are you okay paying for it out of your own pocket and not using your insurance?

The card to cloud $399 machine is a great machine and it doesn't have any sort of modem to phone home or try to phone home.
It uses a common SD card for data storage and there is easy to use and free software available to monitor the data.
It's a full efficacy data machine as well.

If paying out of pocket and didn't need or want the machine to phone home and report anything....that's the one I would get.

Now if you want insurance to pay you have to go through your DME most likely. Most online suppliers won't file insurance and aren't within provider networks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:16 pm

BTW with a couple of exceptions all masks will work with all machines.
The exceptions pertain to the tiny travel machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:16 pm

Silicon1172 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:23 am
cpap.com has one for $399 (ResMed 10)
That's a great machine. It's an AutoSet. It's cheap because it is card-to-cloud which means it doesn't have the built-in cellular communication modem. You have to figure out how to do your compliance with an SD card. ResMed was making these machines when there was a chip shortage caused by unusually high demand. The 10's with a modem are more expensive.
Silicon1172 wrote:
another one for $989 (ResMed10)
Your link is to an F&P machine.
Silicon1172 wrote:
My old DME told me "they have a machine for me for $2,800"
I would tell them they are FOS.

Silicon1172

Post by Silicon1172 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:24 pm

@Pugsy: I was under the impression that I could submit the receipt to insurance after the fact... So is the $600 difference the modem and that's it? That's....crazy.

@ChicagoGranny -- Yeah, that sure was the F&P machine. I've updated that, sorry. That was the closest to the one I have now. As for the DME telling me they had one for $2800 AFTER INSURANCE... I followed that up immediately with a request for my prescription and sleep study docs. I feel really awful knowing people are probably getting scammed by them.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:41 pm

Silicon1172 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:24 pm
Pugsy: I was under the impression that I could submit the receipt to insurance after the fact... So is the $600 difference the modem and that's it? That's....crazy.
That is certainly worth considering but be aware that your insurance may not want to reimburse you if you don't buy from someone within your insurance network of providers. It all depends on the insurance and no way to know unless you ask them ahead of time.
If your insurance is Medicare....they won't reimburse. That one I know for sure. Other insurance...it's up to the company and your particular plan.

But the 600 difference...that modem is the only difference between the regular ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and the card to cloud version of the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Since you have been on cpap for some years you may or may not even need to prove compliance again.
That is also up to the insurance company.

Silicon1172

Post by Silicon1172 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:49 pm

Thank you! I know what to buy then!!

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm

Or you can be living in a place like where I live. Not enough cellular in the air for the wireless to work. So I have to take my SD card into my sleep doctor anyway, to provide evidence of compliance. Might as well have the $400 version.