skin irritation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ravbrian

skin irritation

Post by ravbrian » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:03 am

Hello. This is my first post. I've been using a CPAP for about 6 months. I use a full mask that covers my mouth and nose. Over the past few days I've noticed that the part of the bridge of my nose where the mask touches, has become inflamed, and is quite sensitive to the mask pressure. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what suggestions you might have.

thanks,

Brian F

Miss Emerita

Re: skin irritation

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Welcome! I don't have the kind of mask you do, but I've seen posts from people who do well with putting a bit of moleskin on the tender area or with using a mask liner, if there's one available for you particular mask.

Speaking of which: could you put your machine and mask information in your signature block? That way it'll be there whenever people read your posts.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:31 am

I spent 10 years fighting the same issue as you have. Heck, the bridge of my nose was sore to touch. For me, I found that at night, I would push the top of the mask (the V part) above the knot on my nose, so the top of the mask rests on the area where the nose starts to come out of my face. Again, the mask does not need to be tight. You can't get a seal if it's too tight.

Sheriff

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:52 pm

When I first started I had the same problem. I actually wore some of the skin off my nose. I used a band aid on my nose until it healed. After that, I used a small piece of moleskin on my nose at night. You can find moleskin at Walmart or your local drug store in the foot care area.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:50 pm

Several good suggestions above esp. moleskin. As a new user your skin will toughen up over time.

But the problem is when the mask moves with each breath ALL-Nite-Long.
So it will help for you to go to bed 30 min early and do a mask fitting each nite for awhile.
Esp. if you are using an auto cpap where the pressure will increase when you have events.

So figure out what your maximum pressure will be and set the cpap to that (or use the mask fit option) then adjust the straps (while in your sleeping position) each nite before bed.

Keep in mind as the pressure increases it puts more tension on the straps and each nite the straps will need a diff adjustment as they tend to stretch.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?