A gross question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Leatherneck232

Re: A gross question

Post by Leatherneck232 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:31 am

Good mornin

That was an interesting experiment. Night before last I turned off my Airsense11 humidifier but filled the tank. About 2am I woke up with my throat on fire and could not go back to sleep. My wife said I snored worse than ever even in the mask.

So last night I turned it back on to 4 and upped the tube temp to 82. I slept all night and woke with a less sore throat. And no snoring.

LoneStar

Post by LoneStar » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:27 am

Well...what works for me may not work for thee. But at least now you know.

One thing I love about this board is that there are often many solutions to try (but you have to remember that one size doesn't always fit all).

Additional Comments: APAP, humidifier on passover, heated hose
With xPAP therapy, do or do not; there is no try.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:55 am

I have a similar problem, though it only takes a couple minutes of hacking to clear. I've posted about it here a couple of times. However, it isn't the CPAP because when I leave home and use the same CPAP, hose, and pillow in any clean airbnb, it doesn't happen at all. So I believe it is the allergens in my own home. I have been tested and I'm only allergic to two things, cats and dust. The problem really started with our move to an even older house than we had before. Horsehair insulation in the walls? Seriously. Or maybe the new cellulose insulation in the attic? The two cats are the same as before we moved, so I blame the house.

However, since getting a new mask type (Tap Pap mouthpiece before, AirFit N30i now), the morning phlegm is less.

I recently suggested to another person with this problem to try drinking a mug of hot tea or other hot beverage in the evening. The nights I do that, it seems to be less.

Have you tried the same machine, pillow, etc. in other dwellings and does anything improve?
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:56 am

surf_rower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:55 am
However, it isn't the CPAP because when I leave home and use the same CPAP, hose, and pillow in any clean airbnb, it doesn't happen at all. So I believe it is the allergens in my own home.
Let me add that the CPAP might contribute to this issue by keeping me immobilized on my back and my head ore or less in the same position all night. If not for being hooked up to a hose, I would probably roll around a bit, drink water, etc. which would move things along.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:37 pm

Sleeping in a different bed may be altering your sleep position enough to affect other factors.
You may need to see your doctor to rule out (or address) GERD.
A phlegmy throat is often a sign of reflux.

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:44 am

Leatherneck232 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:45 am
Ok...here is a gross question I've not seen addressed on here yet.
So I'm not sick yet every morning I wake up with my throat full of snot. It takes an hour of coughing to clear it.
Try Guaifenesin (Mucinex) before you go to bed.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll: