My Replacement Dreamstation ASV is a little Noisier Than Absolute Quiet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GearChange

My Replacement Dreamstation ASV is a little Noisier Than Absolute Quiet

Post by GearChange » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:59 pm

So on my first nigh trying out my new replacement ASV machine, I noticed that I could hear the blower, especially when the machine increased the pressure to over 10 cmH2O on backup breaths (Yes I deliberately hold my breath a few times before falling asleep, to make sure the machine will do as programmed).
Anyway, my old machine has little to no noise when clocked with a Decibel Meter app on my smartphone. In fact it measures a mere 25 db in my bedroom, which is pretty much as quiet as it can get, outside of a studio grade sound proof room.
So I measured my replacement machine and noted that it goes up as high as 37 db, which is still at whisper level, but nevertheless audible, to my ears anyway.
My theory is that this noticeable noise difference has to do with Respironics choice of the new sound-abating foam which they use in their replacement machines, one that does not disintegrate when exposed to Ozone generating cleaners. The foam must be made with a less dense material which does not do a great job of suppressing the noise generated by the blower.
The replacement is still slightly quieter than my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV which clocks at about 40 db when blowing over 10 cmH2O, part of the reason why I prefer my Dreamstation machines to my Resmed machines.
How about you? Do you notice a noise difference with your replacement DS?
Even though I have had extensive experience with the use and functionality of several types of different PAP machines,no information in my posts should be put in practice unless cleared by your own medical practitioner first.

ChicagoGranny

Re: My Replacement Dreamstation ASV is a little Noisier Than Absolute Quiet

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:08 pm

You didn't ask for suggestions, but why don't you use a white noise device? I use an app on an old cellphone.

palerider

Re: My Replacement Dreamstation ASV is a little Noisier Than Absolute Quiet

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:03 pm

GearChange wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:59 pm
(Yes I deliberately hold my breath a few times before falling asleep, to make sure the machine will do as programmed).
Why would you doubt it?
GearChange wrote:

one that does not disintegrate when exposed to Ozone generating cleaners.
Oh, ALL foam disintegrates with exposure to ozone, the old foam just disintegrated *on it's own*, ozone just made it fall apart faster. That's what you get when you cut every corner possible.
GearChange wrote:
The replacement is still slightly quieter than my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV which clocks at about 40 db when blowing over 10 cmH2O, part of the reason why I prefer my Dreamstation machines to my Resmed machines.
Interesting, Resmeds are normally quieter than Respironics, across the board.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.