Chin strap + TMJ

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lindsie

Chin strap + TMJ

Post by Lindsie » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:52 am

I've had my CPAP machine for 31 days now. I have been waking up exhausted every single morning, just as I had before the CPAP therapy. I noticed that the report always says I had a lot of leak (average 8.1 L/min, but it's been as high as 12 L/min) and I tend to breathe through my mouth because of pretty bad nasal congestion. I figure that might be the cause of the high leak since my nasal pillow seems pretty snug and I don't really hear air escaping from it. I ordered a chin strap from my local sleep disorder center and it finally came in yesterday, so last night was the first time I used it. I fully woke up at least twice last night, still with a dry mouth and pretty bad jaw pain. The thing is, I have TMJ and I tend to grind my teeth at night, so I figure the pain is linked to that. Does anyone else deal with TMJ and/or nightly teeth grinding? Does the chin strap just take getting used to or will my issues prevent me from using it all together?

Other info that may be relevant: The chinstrap I use is from Spirit Medical and says it compares to the Phillips Premium Chinstrap. My CPAP machine is the Luna G3 3B. My average treatment pressure is 6.5 cmH20. The average P95 is 8.0 cmH20. Average AHI is 2.9 and average CAI is 1.2. I use the humidifier but turned off the heated tubing because that seemed to lead to the tubing having too much condensation, creating a popping sound. I use a nasal pillow. I use Breathe Right Strips too because otherwise I can't breathe out of my nose really at all, even with my head elevated.

Miss Emerita

Re: Chin strap + TMJ

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:05 pm

For other readers, a little more information here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187511&p=1448884#p1448884

Lindsie, have you consulted an allergist? If your congestion arises from allergies, you might be able to get some symptomatic relief from prescription medications. Otherwise, I'd suggest you try a full-face mask.

If instead you'd like to keep trying with the nasal pillow mask, you might look into the Knightsbridge strap, which pulls your jaw up rather than slightly back, as other straps tend to do. Or you might try supporting your jaw from below with a soft cervical collar.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi Lindsie,

Welcome to the board.

I too have TMJ so I get it.

A few initial thoughts are that you may not have hose heat and humidity turned up high enough. Sounds strange Im sure but the higher heat carries more humidity.

Do you breathe better in a nice hot shower or does it do nothing to improve your breathing?

Also I am unsure which mask you use. P10? If so I use similar N30. I have found with slight congestion, once I put the mask on the humidity will clear my nose up a bit and Im fine. If I stay stuffy I get a hellish night. I sometimes use menthol inhalers like Olbas or Vicks just to get it open and started. Sometimes on a stuffy night I may wake and have to menthol again and Im fine for a while longer. Not optimal but ok.

Have you had any decent nights? Is it possible you have the crispy crus that’s going around right now? Has it been different since you started? (trying to figure if it’s transient or more long lasting like an allergy as Miss Emerita rightly suggested).

It helps to know which mask you have. Is it an N30i or other with the frame going up the sides of your face? (sorry if I missed this somehow?) I find those masks aggravate the TMJ, because the body of the frame goes up along the side of the head. I also find the adjustable strap on the P10/N30 lands right next to my temple and aggravates the TMJ. I use the old school knock offs from eBay to fix that problem.

Please share more.

Thanks

EDIT: I know you’re asking about chin strap but it helps to look at this holistically. hth

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Lindsie

Post by Lindsie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:24 am

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:19 pm
I am unsure which mask you use. P10?

Have you had any decent nights? Is it possible you have the crispy crus that’s going around right now? Has it been different since you started? (trying to figure if it’s transient or more long lasting like an allergy as Miss Emerita rightly suggested).
I use the Airfit N30 cushion by ResMed (size small) (nasal cushion)
I haven't had any nights where I end up wake up feeling well rested.
I've been having congestion issues for a while now but not due to sickness or (as far as I know) allergies. It's been an issue before I started CPAP therapy, but only seemed to have become an issue within the past year. My doctor tells me I have narrow nasal passages. I'm going to an ENT in early January to find out more.

Lindsie

Post by Lindsie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:26 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:05 pm
For other readers, a little more information here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187511&p=1448884#p1448884

Lindsie, have you consulted an allergist?
Not yet but I'm seeing an ENT in January...

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:02 pm

Lindsie wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:24 am
lynninnj wrote:

when you get the chance, please fill out your equipment profile. that way your mask and machine will show up at the bottom of your posts as mine does below.

thanks!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:30 pm

Lindsie wrote:
lynninnj wrote:

I've been having congestion issues for a while now but not due to sickness or (as far as I know) allergies. It's been an issue before I started CPAP therapy, but only seemed to have become an issue within the past year. My doctor tells me I have narrow nasal passages. I'm going to an ENT in early January to find out more.
That’s the one I use. I love my N30.

Does a steamy hot shower offer relief for you?

You may want to try increasing temp and humidity (maybe sounds counterintuitive but isn’t). If you can get air coming through before you lay down and then add heat/humidity then it may keep passages open.

I’m set at humidity 5 and 27 celsius. That may or may not be comfy for you but a consideration. Better if you get the nasal passages clear with an inhaler first if necessary. Just keep in mind if you raise humidity you should raise heat too in the hose so it carries more moisture.

I also find a tiny smear of lanolin on the nares helps keep a good tacky seal. (none of which does much good if you can’t breathe).

gl hth

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Lindsie

Post by Lindsie » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:53 am

lynninnj wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:30 pm
Lindsie wrote:
lynninnj wrote:

That’s the one I use. I love my N30.

Does a steamy hot shower offer relief for you?

You may want to try increasing temp and humidity (maybe sounds counterintuitive but isn’t). If you can get air coming through before you lay down and then add heat/humidity then it may keep passages open.

I’m set at humidity 5 and 27 celsius. That may or may not be comfy for you but a consideration. Better if you get the nasal passages clear with an inhaler first if necessary. Just keep in mind if you raise humidity you should raise heat too in the hose so it carries more moisture.

I also find a tiny smear of lanolin on the nares helps keep a good tacky seal. (none of which does much good if you can’t breathe).

gl hth
Every time I turn up the humidity it causes a popping sound in my tubing. My congestion is always worse when I'm lying down. A hot shower doesn't make much of a difference.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 pm

you have to turn the heat up in the tube at the same time as the humidity or you will get rainout.

if it doesn’t bother you in hot shower it probably won’t bother you with higher temperatures and humidity. jmho

Lindsie

Post by Lindsie » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:26 am

lynninnj wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:22 pm
you have to turn the heat up in the tube at the same time as the humidity or you will get rainout.

if it doesn’t bother you in hot shower it probably won’t bother you with higher temperatures and humidity. jmho
Last night I had both the humidity and heated tubing on and the popping sounds were continuous and loud. It was horrible. I had my machine on the ground but it would still pop. I tried to just use the heated tubing, no humidity, but that seemed to make it worse. I was reading up on what to do to get the condensation out of the tubing and everything I read said to run the machine until the tubes dry out, but my machine automatically turns off if I'm not wearing the mask. I'll hang my tubes up to dry today, but that isn't much of a solution in the middle of the night when the popping sounds are happening. :-/

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:26 pm

Lindsie wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:26 am
I was reading up on what to do to get the condensation out of the tubing and everything I read said to run the machine until the tubes dry out, but my machine automatically turns off if I'm not wearing the mask.
is there a way on your machine to change that setting? i know on resmed, it's called auotstart and you can turn that off. it then blows once you turn it on and will stop when you turn it off.

eta: don't know if you have the clinician manual or even if it talks about a way to switch as i'm too lazy to look. see here-

https://www.google.com/search?q=luna+g3 ... e&ie=UTF-8

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Really

Post by Really » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 pm

Lindsie wrote:

Last night I had both the humidity and heated tubing on and the popping sounds were continuous and loud. It was horrible. I had my machine on the ground but it would still pop. :-/
Could it be there was water trapped at the low level of the hose making the popping sound? Really

Lindsie

Post by Lindsie » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm

Really wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 pm
Lindsie wrote:

Last night I had both the humidity and heated tubing on and the popping sounds were continuous and loud. It was horrible. I had my machine on the ground but it would still pop. :-/
Could it be there was water trapped at the low level of the hose making the popping sound? Really
It turns out there was... A lot :lol: :shock:

Really

Post by Really » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Lindsie wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:42 pm
Really wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:16 pm
Lindsie wrote:

It turns out there was... A lot :lol: :shock:
That popping noise is a clue something is in the way of the aire.
Just lift the hose straight up it should run the water back to the tank. Really
You Can't Fix Stupid Really