Anyone else use the Airtouch F20 foam mask? How often do you actually replace it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TinyTot87

Anyone else use the Airtouch F20 foam mask? How often do you actually replace it?

Post by TinyTot87 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:10 pm

Hello,

I've been using my mask for a few weeks now and while the CPAP website does mention to change it monthly, this seems a bit unnecessary, excessive (I'm guessing that it must last longer than a month), not to mention expensive. These masks retail for around $60. If you replace the mask every single month as advised, you'd be spending around $750-$780 every single year. That's INSANE. No one should have to spend that much, especially when the silicone ones last 3-6 months on average and your mask shouldn't go any longer than a year at most before buying a new one.

SO - Does anyone else use this mask and how often do you really need to change it? At what mark do you notice that it's time for a replacement? These masks have to last longer than just a single month. I use the foam mask because it's more comfortable and the silicone was causing my sensitive skin to really dry out (even though I applied moisturizer every night before wearing it) as well as leaving red marks on the bridge of my nose and around my face. I haven't had any issues with the foam mask at all as the silicone is known for causing problems for people with especially sensitive skin. I'm just wondering what others input is because to me, I can't believe that this mask is only good for a month. It's gotta hold out for 2-3 months, given the quality of the mask. Yes the memory foam will break down sooner but after a month? That seems absurd to me. Thanks in advance! Also, for anyone wondering, I was told by the clinician who issued me my mask that I can clean them with alcohol wipes (as the memory foam can't get wet). I also later confirmed this in an e-mail with them as well.

Pugsy

Re: Anyone else use the Airtouch F20 foam mask? How often do you actually replace it?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

The guy that runs the DME that I used to use (until they refused to supply the Bleep for me) uses cpap and the F20 AirTouch.....he told me he could get 3 months out of the cushion with common sense care.
I wouldn't put too much faith in what ResMed says about it...they also tell you to replace the silicone cushions each month as well. :lol:

I don't know that I would be using alcohol on it though.
If someone wants to use a mask liner with it that would keep facial oils and sweat off the foam and will prolong the life of the cushion.

Watch EBay or Amazon...sometimes the cushion costs a lot less than what is offered at other online retailers.

I see Amazon has it for 33.50
Ebay prices ranging from 20 to 45 bucks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Respirator99

Re: Anyone else use the Airtouch F20 foam mask? How often do you actually replace it?

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:32 am

I gave up on the memory foam, despite its advantages. The cushion used to split at the bridge of the nose, typically after 3 or four weeks. Here in Oz they retail for AU$66 for a three-pack, a lot less than your $60 per.

I find the silicone mask lasts up to a year, with care.
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

TinyTot87

Post by TinyTot87 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:52 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:32 am
I gave up on the memory foam, despite its advantages. The cushion used to split at the bridge of the nose, typically after 3 or four weeks. Here in Oz they retail for AU$66 for a three-pack, a lot less than your $60 per.

Can this pack be bought internationally? Man we are getting so screwed here in North America. I can only find one size small for $60, nothing less =/

TinyTot87

Post by TinyTot87 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:53 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm
The guy that runs the DME that I used to use (until they refused to supply the Bleep for me) uses cpap and the F20 AirTouch.....he told me he could get 3 months out of the cushion with common sense care.
I wouldn't put too much faith in what ResMed says about it...they also tell you to replace the silicone cushions each month as well. :lol:

I don't know that I would be using alcohol on it though.
If someone wants to use a mask liner with it that would keep facial oils and sweat off the foam and will prolong the life of the cushion.

Watch EBay or Amazon...sometimes the cushion costs a lot less than what is offered at other online retailers.

I see Amazon has it for 33.50
Ebay prices ranging from 20 to 45 bucks.
Thanks, I knew the mask had to last a lot longer than that. There are CPAP wipes but I only use alcohol on the mask part itself. But I was told this by the clinician who gave me my foam mask after I was experiencing skin issues with the silicone.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:21 pm

What size cushion do you need?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

dmoss74

Post by dmoss74 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:21 pm
i use medium, if you have any. but i'm just jumping in. i know you were asking the OP.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:44 pm

dmoss74 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:41 pm
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:21 pm
i use medium, if you have any. but i'm just jumping in. i know you were asking the OP.
Sorry. I don't have any at all of any size but sometimes I run across hot deals and if I do I tell the person about the hot deal.

Mediums of anything do seem to be in short supply though. Very popular size of any cushion.

Respirator99

Post by Respirator99 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:51 pm

TinyTot87 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:52 am
Respirator99 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:32 am

Can this pack be bought internationally? Man we are getting so screwed here in North America. I can only find one size small for $60, nothing less =/
I told a lie - the $66 deal was for the N20, not F20. F20 three-pack is AU$75, which is about US$50. I don't know if they sell overseas, but this is my local supplier: https://www.perthcpap.com.au/collection ... shion-pack
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:43 am

There was a user here on the forum that said he could get several months use out of one cushion by using a mask liner. I think he said he got it from Padacheek.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Simply air and any moisture eventually causes the memory foam to break down or get brittle.
Anything we can do to limit those items will prolong the life of the cushion.

Mask liners will definitely help in that regard.

Alcohol is very drying to anything and for that reason I wouldn't use it on the memory foam part....

Wash your face really good shortly before bedtime and use a mask liner and I suspect the life of the cushion will be prolonged.
It's still not going to last as long as the silicone cushion....but it will be prolonged and with smart shopping it's not going to make someone need to go rob a bank to pay for it.
And remember...if you have insurance available to help out then that big price tag from a DME might not hurt so much as long as someone doesn't have a high copay. There are even some online suppliers who will file insurance in lieu of payment up front.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 pm

I usually get somewhere between 60 and 90 days, but I have had a couple fail ~ 30-45 days.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

LindaGinCanada

Post by LindaGinCanada » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:44 am

I use the f20 air touch medium, just started to try it out, found I needed to change it about 6 weeks. I don't like the fact you can't clean the cushion part, except wipe down with a wet wipe. I paid $60 Cdn for one, bought 3 to get free shipping. I'm about to change to use the second one. Haven't fully made up my mind if I will continue to use it after they are all used up.
Linda in Ontario, Canada

A garden is a friend you can visit anytime.

LadyRoci

Post by LadyRoci » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:55 pm

I'm learning so much with you. I live in Spain, I started CPAP in June this year and here it's a bit weird. You don't own any of the equipment the insurance just kind of lend the machine to you. They gave me the first machine in June (Resvent Ibreeze), I didn't tolerate it because it was fighting my breathing really bad, I change the machine 3 months ago to a BMC RESmart GII H60. The mask is a nasal mask but I don't even know wich one althought is says philips on the headwear so I guess it's a philips one (for the pictures I've seen it looks similar to the Pico one). They never told me I've to change my mask, not in a month, not in six months. I'm not suppoused to buy anything. they should provide everything for me but I've had close to zero support from them. They didn't make any mask fitting, the girl that came just opened a mask size L and told me how to use it. That was all. The headwear is really starting to wear off but, I don't even know when I have to change the components, the filters, the mask...

So, with a mask similar to Pico, how often do you think it should be changed? I have read many timeslots, some websites said once every year, some said every three months...airsense one even said that you have to change every two weeks which seems crazy since they are really expensive.
Machine: Resvent ibreeze 20c (CPAP mode)
Mask : Philips Pico nasal mask

FMuser

Post by FMuser » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:58 pm

I have used the Airtouch 20 foam mask for a few years and noted a significant downgrade in the quality and design in the past year. At initial purchase, there appeared to be twice the amount of foam which allowed the mask to easily be used for two months or so. The quality of the until mask was great and allowed me to readily adapt to using the CPAP machine, sleeping for 8 hours uninterrupted. Now with the changes in design, the mask no longer rests comfortably on my face as the less amount of foam causes it to curl inward making the firmer plastic make contact with your face. Typically, I either awaken or can’t fall asleep because of the discomfort. Additionally the foam compression occurs within a week or two which makes it very costly to replace at that frequency.