Are central apneas more common at higher pressures?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
knarf

Are central apneas more common at higher pressures?

Post by knarf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 pm

Are CSA events more common at higher pressures? (Perhaps due to more frequent arousals?)

I'm thinking of using an MAD device simultaneously with CPAP. I assume that this would allow me to reduce the pressure, and I'm wondering if the reduced pressure would also mean a decrease in the CSA events that I get. Currently with CPAP all my events are CSA now.

lazarus

Re: Are central apneas more common at higher pressures?

Post by lazarus » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:03 pm

knarf wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:52 pm
Are CSA events more common at higher pressures? (Perhaps due to more frequent arousals?)
Sometimes true for some. Not all.
knarf wrote:
I'm thinking of using an MAD device simultaneously with CPAP.
I did that for a few years. Helped me learn to keep my mouth shut with nasal pillows.
knarf wrote:
I assume that this would allow me to reduce the pressure,
I did not find that to be so. But hey I'm just one opinionated guy on the Internet.
knarf wrote:
reduced pressure would also mean a decrease in the CSA events that I get.
Lowering overall combined AHI is a worthy goal, but using enough pressure to prevent obstruction should remain priority, since obstruction can be particularly damaging and many home-machine-reported "centrals" might have rightly been ignored and unscored in an NPSG.

I wish you success in finding the best pressure(s) that give you the lowest overall AHI over time and the best possible subjective sleep quality.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:55 pm

knarf wrote:

I'm thinking of using an MAD device simultaneously with CPAP. I assume that this would allow me to reduce the pressure, and I'm wondering if the reduced pressure would also mean a decrease in the CSA events that I get. Currently with CPAP all my events are CSA now.
As mentioned, higher pressures can increase central apneas in generally one in seven people, so it's not a certainty and concerns about it are overblown.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:00 pm

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:07 pm

I am relatively ignorant compared to those who have already answered. But I also seldom have any obstructive events, mostly all centrals.

I suspect that centrals cause higher pressures, not the other way around.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm

Ordinary PAP machines don't respond to CAs, though I believe your ASV does.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:12 pm

knarf wrote:
I'm thinking of using an MAD device simultaneously with CPAP. I assume that this would allow me to reduce the pressure,
I would try something cheap and easy before investing in a MAD. Foam cervical collars hold the neck in the optimal position for airway patency. This can reduce pressure needs. In my case, the prescribed pressures were bilevel, 22 IPAP/18 EPAP. With the addition of a collar, my APAP pressures run 10.0 min to 11.5 95% level.

Also, foam cervical collars don't bring the level of discomfort, and oral and jaw health issues that MADs do.

Collar example: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cervic ... ref=sr_1_7