Wired (or wireless) remote for Resmed Airsense 10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jdm5

Wired (or wireless) remote for Resmed Airsense 10

Post by jdm5 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:54 pm

Disclaimer
Obviously this voids your warranty. Don't do this unless you're comfortable working with electronics. I'm not responsible if you choose to do this and you end up breaking your life preserving/saving machine. I had a an extra machine to work on this.

Why?
My Airsense 10 is located on a lower shelf of my nightstand for sound isolation. I use Smartstart to start it, but it's always been a little difficult to reach to turn off. I recently had shoulder surgery and it became impossible to reach to turn off (1). So I decided to dig into it.

I wanted a wired (or wireless) remote to start and stop the machine, but without disabling the existing on/off capability. I installed the switch on my nightstand within easy reach.

I'm not the first to take this approach, I found this thread from 2008 with user feeling_better having reported he/she had done it as well.

How
I disassembled my Airsense 10, identified the terminals used for the start/stop button, and soldered leads to the two pins and brought the wires outside the machine [pictures below and credit to GrantsReviews on Youtube for guidance on disassembly guidance]. This isn't super hard, but there is clearly a risk of damaging your machine...be extremely patient.

Pictures

Removal of the circuit board, with the start/stop switch circled. Unfortunately the terminals we need to pick up are on the back of this.

Beyond what Grant does, you have to remove the large knob and plastic section with the home button on it to get at the back/bottom of the start/stop switch and find the terminals.

Terminals are here, with my two 20ga leads soldered to them (sorry for blurry image - they are the top two terminals in this orientation)

Reassembling the plastic section and how I ran my wires. They are pinched but not badly - should be fine.

Run wires out the to the back of the machine, and drill a small hole to bring them out (strain relief on order).

Once you get here (the unit is reassembled and the wires are coming out the back) you can test it...plug in your power, put on a mask, and short the two leads together which should trigger the start/stop button action.

Wired vs Wireless

With the leads coming out the back, you can now proceed with a switch (wired or wireless)

Wired is easier; less complexity. You need to connect a momentary switch to the two wires which will represent pushing the start/stop button. There are a million choices, I landed with this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ886132?ps ... ct_details ($10 as of this writing December 2023).

Connect the two leads out of the machine to the two leads of the switch. Use wire nuts, or low voltage connectors (i.e. RC car type connectors - Futaba or the like). And you're done! The switch should now represent the original Start/Stop button, and the original button should continue to work as well.

Wireless is more complex but potentially more flexible. There are likely many solutions to enable a wireless switch to those leads. I use Insteon (a home automation technology). So I ran those leads to an Insteon I/O Linc and connected those two leads to the Common and N/O (normally open) terminals. Then paired a wireless remote to the Insteon I/O Linc, and voila! Wireless start/stop capability.

Honestly, I'm probably just going to use the wired switch...much less complex and chance of things going wrong.

(1) I did get an inexpensive remote controlled outlet immediately following my surgery that toggles the outlet power for the CPAP; but this had 2 drawbacks: 1) the SD card got corrupted after a while, I suspect because it was cutting the power at least 1x / night (obviously not confirmed, but correlated, had never had a problem before). 2) the cool off mode of the machine won't run if I cut the power.

Last edited by jdm5 on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog Slobber

Re: Wired (or wireless) remote for Resemed Airsense 10

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:23 pm

Nice hack!

This can also be valuable for those whose start/stop switch has broken down. A few have reported broken switches, and there are a few aging Air10, more broken switches are iminent.

Well done.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:13 pm

Maybe I don't understand what you accomplished, but wouldn't it have been simpler and cheap ($11) to buy a remote on/off switch? https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-Prime-Bl ... 1000515527

amenite

Post by amenite » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:06 pm

Oh come on now, where's the fun in that? Touching two wires together you get that Frankenstein rush too 🙂

Tec5

Post by Tec5 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Data is written to the SD card when the machine is turned off at the on/off switch (so I’m told).
Turning the machine off by interrupting the mains, would cause data to NOT be written to the card.
I am neither a physician nor a lawyer, so DO NOT rely on me for professional medical or legal advice.

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Maybe I don't understand what you accomplished, but wouldn't it have been simpler and cheap ($11) to buy a remote on/off switch? https://www.lowes.com/pd/PRIME-Prime-Bl ... 1000515527
If you read through my writeup, I did use that initially. But:

A) it corrupted my SD card (can't say for sure it was that, but it's the only time I've ever had a corrupt card in all these years).
B) cutting the power prevents the cooldown from running

Markp99

Post by Markp99 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 pm

Relative to SD Card logging, I yanked my Airsense 10 off the nightstand this week while sleeping. The power cord got yanked from the back in the process

I plugged it in again, and restarted the unit. The device resumed logging data, appending to the prior session. Same result as if I pressed the OFF button on the unit.

Non scientific result ...

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:19 pm

Markp99 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:21 pm
I plugged it in again, and restarted the unit. The device resumed logging data, appending to the prior session. Same result as if I pressed the OFF button on the unit.
I've had the same experience.
jdm5 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm
cutting the power prevents the cooldown from running
The purpose of the "cooldown" is to dry condensation in the hose. I don't use the humidifier, so this is not an issue for me.

But it sounds like you had a lot of fun rigging it and writing it up. Carry on.