Awesome first night with AirFit N30i

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Awesome first night with AirFit N30i

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:58 am

I'm not sure what the i stands for in N30i, nor whether this mask is actually compatible with my ancient PR System One.
But my first night trying this mask was kind of amazing! I do have questions.

- First time using a soft "cushion" and it solves most of the problems of nasal irritation. This morning I had a stuffy nose as usual, but it cleared up right away and I can breathe through both sides clearly for the first time in memory. No sniffly, runny, tickly effects at all. Wow. Getting slightly sniffly now, but I'm allergic to our cats.
- I slept really deeply. Of course I woke up a few times, as the mask frame feels odd, but fell deeply asleep again each time. I'd had two beers and a glass of wine, and usually that means waking up after four hours unable to fall back asleep, but not this time.
- It is noisy as hell, WTF. (I guess that is a question.) If I didn't already use a white noise machine, I would not be able to tolerate the noise of the mask. "Quiet Vent," they call it. :lol:
- It blasts air. Really forceful air. Machine still set at 6 as always, so does this mean it is incompatible? Air leaks out and hits my right eye, not good in the long run for my dry eye issues, though it feels OK now. Air blasts and noise would not be great for a bed partner.
- Interesting there is a second vent at the top of the frame. What's the purpose of that?
- Love the top-of-head hose position. You can read in bed wearing it, nothing in your way at all. As before, I tape a scrunchy to the wall above me and run the hose through it. (Back sleeper, never move.)
- How the heck do you get the cushion off the frame to clean it? I see arrows, but when I pull there, it doesn't want to budge. Their instruction booklet is unhelpful.

Maybe my machine is just not compatible. I saw the new sleep doc yesterday (she had this mask as a free sample, that's how I got it so quick) and we will proceed with a home sleep study and new machine, but meanwhile I'll use my old one for a couple months.

Thanks for any thoughts on this mask!
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Pugsy

Re: Awesome first night with AirFit N30i

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:09 am

Can you please clarify exactly which N30 or N30i mask you got?

This one which is the N30i
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -cpap-mask

or this one which is the N30 which I was talking about in your other thread
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... h-headgear

and BTW....i have tried the N30i and hated it. So noisy I couldn't remotely use it and fall asleep.
surf_rower wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:58 am
Maybe my machine is just not compatible.
It's not your machine. Pretty much all masks will work with all machines except maybe the ResMed travel Air Mini.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:27 am

Hi Pugsy,
Since I posted I found https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... 3a7d5fd4 excellent video. Worth watching to see this guy press on his nose, no cartilage! Seriously, he does a great job explaining.

Also here is a photo of the demo ("Not for Resale") mask I have. It says N30i, but it doesn't have the diffuser vent mentioned in the video! That explains part of the blasting effect.
Attachments
AirFit_N30i.jpg
AirFit_N30i.jpg (382.95 KiB) Viewed 7007 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:07 am

In my own opinion the N30i noise problem is from 2 things.
The air movement in the frame can create a darth vader conductive noise sound effect (this bugged the hell out of me) and the venting system in the N30i isn't the same as the venting system on the N30.

You did better your first night with the N30i than I did....I didn't even try to sleep with it because I am simply not used to any noise at all and found it way to distracting to ever sleep with. BTW I had same issue with the other "i" masks...the F30i and the P30i.

The original Dreamport Bleep and the new version the Eclipse....have both been totally silent for me in terms of no darth vader noise and no noise from the venting unless I get something way too close to the vent holes.
The P10 was silent and the N30 was silent like the P10. I have way too many other choices in masks to use that aren't noisy for me to go struggling with the noise from any other mask. I don't have to do it so I won't do it. If I don't like something then I simply don't/won't use it. Now I do understand other people have a different opinion and that's fine. I am of the opinion that whatever someone is happy with....they should use it. Individual preferences carry a lot of weight.

If you get a chance to try the N30 I suggest giving it a try. Especially since you like the comfort of the N30i cushion.
Did you know that you can use your existing P10 headgear with the N30? You just need the N30 frame and a cushion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:20 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:07 am
In my own opinion the N30i noise problem is from 2 things.
The air movement in the frame can create a darth vader conductive noise sound effect (this bugged the hell out of me) and the venting system in the N30i isn't the same as the venting system on the N30.

You did better your first night with the N30i than I did....I didn't even try to sleep with it because I am simply not used to any noise at all and found it way to distracting to ever sleep with. BTW I had same issue with the other "i" masks...the F30i and the P30i.

The original Dreamport Bleep and the new version the Eclipse....have both been totally silent for me in terms of no darth vader noise and no noise from the venting unless I get something way too close to the vent holes.
The P10 was silent and the N30 was silent like the P10. I have way too many other choices in masks to use that aren't noisy for me to go struggling with the noise from any other mask. I don't have to do it so I won't do it. If I don't like something then I simply don't/won't use it. Now I do understand other people have a different opinion and that's fine. I am of the opinion that whatever someone is happy with....they should use it. Individual preferences carry a lot of weight.

If you get a chance to try the N30 I suggest giving it a try. Especially since you like the comfort of the N30i cushion.
Did you know that you can use your existing P10 headgear with the N30? You just need the N30 frame and a cushion.
Thanks, I will absolutely try the N30. The cpap.com video says you can't use the P10 headgear with the N30 cushion, but I believe you.
I am more tolerant of noise because I always have a white noise machine (or two!) going anyway. It's possible the Darth Vader noise along the sides is actually comforting because of that. I'll see how it goes once I get the proper diffuser Quiet Vent. Not sure why this doesn't have it.
Last night's success with the forceful air made me think that my previous masks weren't giving me enough air! The P10 makes me almost struggle to breathe.
I do worry about any headgear when the weather gets warm again. We don't like AC, so the bedroom is warm and headgear creates sweat. Sad about Tap Pap but now I think it contributed to my lower jaw moving forward. A whole other topic.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:39 am

surf_rower wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:20 am
The cpap.com video says you can't use the P10 headgear with the N30 cushion,

Well...sometimes they get it wrong or sometimes ResMed tells them something wrong because they want people to buy brand new headgear.

Now to be clear I am talking about only the stretchy part of the headgear and not about the frame/hose part.
The headgear (stretchy part) is interchangeable but the frame/hose part is not. Unfortunately the frame part is the most expensive part. By the time we buy the frame/hose part and the cushion of the N30 as separate pieces it costs almost as much as a whole complete package for the N30.

Now removing the stretchy part of the headgear and putting it on a new frame/hose...takes a bit of work and when I first tried it years ago it took me an hour to figure it out.
Once you do it a few times....easy peasy.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:42 am

Thanks Pugsy and all for great advice. I just ordered the N30, and also a new cradle cushion for the N30i, because it would have the diffuser, which my current one doesn't.
My orthodontist really wants me to find a mask that doesn't move my teeth/jaw if possible, though I feel like the N30i is still pushing on my upper teeth through my lip.

Second Night Report on N30i - not as good, but that's probably because I tried the Small Wide cradle and it was bugging me. Woke up 3 AM and switched to the one I'd started with, Medium, and then slept better.
Good news, even though very tired from that interruption, and reading "1984" for an hour, I do have the clear nasal passages I had yesterday.

One downside, if I sleep past 6 AM I have to wear an eye mask to block light. The eye mask does not do well with the N30i.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:42 am

One downside, if I sleep past 6 AM I have to wear an eye mask to block light. The eye mask does not do well with the N30i.
blackout curtains?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:11 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:46 pm
surf_rower wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:42 am

blackout curtains?
I have them. However, a small amount of daylight leaks around the edges. I've decided I want to keep that because I do prefer to wake up naturally rather than by the alarm. If everything is blacked out all the time, I won't wake up naturally at the more-or-less right time. I'd probably wake up 40 times in a panic wondering whether it was daylight yet. (Yes I also set the alarm, doesn't matter.) The eye mask (Walgreens blue one is the best) is for traveling, as most airbnbs barely get the rooms dark and the moon and streetlights pour in, and for the rare home night like last night, where I intended to sleep past dawn because I was up reading and fiddling with the mask at 3 AM. So I need to be able to put the eye mask on in the middle of the night or at dawn, or when traveling, all night in some lodgings. With the N30i you have to undo the eyemask velcro to get it on. Not that big a deal, but then the whole mess is too much, mask pushing against mask, eyemask pushing against eyes. It is not working well, take my word for it.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:26 pm

surf_rower wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:11 pm

I have them. However, a small amount of daylight leaks around the edges. I've decided I want to keep that because I do prefer to wake up naturally rather than by the alarm. If everything is blacked out all the time, I won't wake up naturally at the more-or-less right time. I'd probably wake up 40 times in a panic wondering whether it was daylight yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm right there with you except for me, it's the alarm. i'm retired yet every now and then, i make a morning dr. appointment because, well, it's hard to get in and see them so i take what's available.

anyway, if i set that alarm, i keep waking up to see how long i've got until the alarm goes off.

wish i could think of something to help!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg