Need help, not a newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RatedPG

Need help, not a newbie

Post by RatedPG » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:08 pm

CPAP user since Nov 2022, successfully used N30i cushion with no issues until Sept 2023. Started getting high leaks (30 to 40 range). Then started getting severe dry mouth on occasion. Got all new accessories, no improvement. Next step, told I was a mouth breather and needed full face mask. Tried 3 different FFMs… awful experience. High pressure blowing through sides of mask randomly, water in mask, loud noises ( face farts?) I continue to try to make the nasal cushions work for me but even with mouth tape and chin straps I get leaks in the 35 range. I’m convinced my machine is defective but of course DME says it’s fine and I need a FFM. THX.

Pugsy

Re: Need help, not a newbie

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:13 pm

RatedPG wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:08 pm
but even with mouth tape and chin straps I get leaks in the 35 range.
Masks move around ....that can cause big leaks as well.
Even with lips cemented together so it can't be leaking out the mouth....masks can simply move around.
I once woke up with my nasal pillow sitting in my right ear...they can move around and sometimes a lot.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:08 am

If you liked the N30i you could try taping your mouth shut at night - sounds crazy but it works well to prevent mouth breathing. Just fold over a corner so you can easily pull it off as needed.

I use 3M micropore 2” and it works well. Wash your face before applying, leave _slightly_ damp (very slightly, I find it adheres better than to perfectly dry skin). Make an inverted kiss pulling your lips slightly inside your mouth and apply it, I use a 6” strip.

ftmom17

Post by ftmom17 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:50 pm

Hello - Brand new here, have been using a cpap with nasal pillows for the last 8+ months.
I am having a very similar issue as the OP, I do not breathe through my mouth, my mouth stays closed, but air "builds up" in my mouth from the inside and causes extremely dry mouth, waking me up. Conversely I also experience the release of the trapped air-I can often feel as it starts, this is odd, but I can only describe it as air "bubbles" I normally sleep on my side and depending on how I am positioned the "bubble" rides along my teeth and will force my lips open, the air releases then it could be 10 minutes to 1 hour later it does it again.
I have not been using the humidifier because strangely enough when the air is humid the "bubbles" are worse.
Although not using the humidifier has not affected my nasal passages/sinuses at all they are not the least bit dry.
I brought this up when I had my recheck with the pulmonologist nurse practitioner after about 3 months of using the cpap and she said she never heard of anything like this and did not have any suggestions.
Anyone else have anything similar, heard of anything similar or have any suggestions?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:33 pm

RatedPG wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:08 pm
Tried 3 different FFMs
You should find the exact mask model on YouTube.com. Watch some videos on fitting and adjusting.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:35 pm

ftmom17 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:50 pm
Anyone else have anything similar, heard of anything similar or have any suggestions?
You should start your own thread instead of hijacking RatedPG's post. It gets confusing trying to help two people in one thread.