Flow limitations and large leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Applecheeks

Flow limitations and large leaks

Post by Applecheeks » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:50 pm

Will leaks over 24 affect the reliability of flow limitations on Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset?

dataq1

Re: Flow limitations and large leaks

Post by dataq1 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:41 am

Bump
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:53 pm

Still looking for an answer from the experts...... anyone?

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:04 pm

Are you asking "how does the machine gather and calculate data during large leak periods"?

When I look at the breath flow on my charts, I ignore anything that happens during large leaks.
My large leaks are very rare, so I'm not concerned about their effect on the calculations.
If they were frequent enough for me to worry about their effect on any breathing measurements, I would try to handle the leaks.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:14 am

Not so much about calculations of flow limitions (which if I follow other members comments are somewhat mysterious)

But eyeballing my Oscar charts it seems as if flow limitations become more severe in the intervals where there is a leak greater than 24.
Or said another way, during non-leakage periods (say 60-70% of the night) flow limitations remain below 0.1, but if there are periods of leaks above 24 l/min, the flow limitations seem to increase from low levels to higher levels, for example .2 to .25.
Then later in the same night (with the pressure unchanged or dropping) and the leak diminishes the flow limitations seem to subside.

Yes, I am trying all the traditional means (different masks, liners, hose management, etc) to reduce the leaks, but have not yet discovered a final solution.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:29 pm

Applecheeks wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:53 pm
Still looking for an answer from the experts...... anyone?
The "experts* that you've repeatedly made sarcastic trolling comments towards?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:25 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:29 pm

Reply to your off topic response:
You are confusing “sarcastic” with criticism. Yes, I have criticized vulgar and personal derogatory remarks made by others.

Now, as our moderator would say ……’back on topic, please’

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:40 pm

Applecheeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:25 am
palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:29 pm

Reply to your off topic response:
You are confusing “sarcastic” with criticism. Yes, I have criticized vulgar and personal derogatory remarks made by others.

You've "criticized" many things, and made plenty of enemies.

But, that's how trolls operate, they contribute nothing, they learn nothing, they just exist to annoy others.

Which you do quite well.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:40 pm

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:49 pm

Applecheeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:34 pm
palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:40 pm
Nobody cares what *you* say, no matter what you think, you're not the moderator.

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:12 pm

Nobody cares what *you* say, no matter what you think, you're not the moderator.
The topic…..
Will leaks over 24 affect the reliability of flow limitations on Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm

Applecheeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:12 pm
The topic…..
You should probably ask on facebook, or maybe apneaboard, unless they are disgusted with you too.

Applecheeks

Post by Applecheeks » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:42 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm
Applecheeks wrote:
The topic…..
You should probably ask on facebook, or maybe apneaboard, unless they are disgusted with you too.
<Sigh> If you don't know, just say so.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:45 pm

Applecheeks wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:42 pm
palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:51 pm
Applecheeks wrote:
The topic…..
<Sigh> If you don't know, just say so.
I, and many others, do know, and if you ever did anything besides just TROLLING here, you'd know too.

Think about them apples.

Now, I'll let you have the last trollish word, since that's what you LIVE for.

Tec5

Post by Tec5 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:29 am

It is logical that the measurement reliability would become less reliable in the face of wide and wild swings of the quantity being measured. It is equally logical that a measurement becomes less reliable when the quantity being measured is significantly removed from the normal range of the sensors. (Think of trying measuring the speed of a bullet with a radar gun, you might get some measured value, but it is much less reliable)

So the short answer to the OPs question is that the reliability becomes less so as the measured quantity lies beyond the design capabilities of the sensors.

So how does that relate to the flow limitation index calculation?
Flow limitation index relies heavily on the shape of breath measurements. As those breath measurements become less certain (in the face of extraordinary leaks) overall confidence in the calculated index erodes.

Resmed suggests that their confidence in the ability of their system crosses some threshold at leak rates in excess of 24 liters per minute. Presumably they call out that very specific number based on their own testing and THEIR confidence that the system preforms within some degree of accuracy.

It should be obvious that the reliability falls above 24, and becomes even less so as leaks increase beyond that point.

It probably fair (as some forum members have said) that measurements taken in the face of large leaks - significantly above 24- are likely garbage. The same should apply to conclusions (like FL index) are not to be trusted.
I am neither a physician nor a lawyer, so DO NOT rely on me for professional medical or legal advice.