Long time user.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPapNinja

Long time user.

Post by CPapNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:16 pm

I’ve been a long time cpap user. As a truck driver I have to be a slave to this machine, where as a normal user does not have to meet certain requirements. I was removed from usage by a home sleep test, but I’m much more comfortable sleeping on my back due to shoulder surgeries and back problems, in which case I will snore. My questions are: can I use the new machine I was sent after the recall or will the modem trigger something in the drs office. Also, is there any way to get the machine set up to the pounds I need without going through a drs office. I also do not, for some reason have an SD card. The machine will turn on and function.

If your contribution to my questions are “just go see your Dr and get it set up” please don’t waste your time. I refuse to be mandated by both Drs and my Company. Some days I get the luxury or sleep. Most days I don’t. I wish to be able to use the machine freely with no mandates or regulations or supervision. Thanks.

Pugsy

Re: Long time user.

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:23 pm

CPapNinja wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:16 pm
My questions are: can I use the new machine I was sent after the recall or will the modem trigger something in the drs office. Also, is there any way to get the machine set up to the pounds I need without going through a drs office. I also do not, for some reason have an SD card. The machine will turn on and function.
It's not "pounds" but you can set the pressure yourself once you learn how to get into the clinical menu setup area.
That's easy.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

You can use any old generic SD card....I got mine at WalMart. It's for data storage only.

It would be helpful to know which brand and model machine you are using.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 pm

CPapNinja wrote:
“just go see your Dr and get it set up”
People who post that answer here get pilloried. :D

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:27 pm

CPapNinja wrote:
I’ve been a long time cpap user.
please read here-
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

need lots more info from you so that we can help.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:43 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 pm
CPapNinja wrote:
“just go see your Dr and get it set up”
People who post that answer here get pilloried. :D
That’s beautiful to hear. Generally these forums can be a barnyard of helpless people, or, I mean, people unwilling to help.

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:45 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:27 pm
CPapNinja wrote:
I’ve been a long time cpap user.
please read here-
viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

need lots more info from you so that we can help.

good luck!
I think I have the just of the general forum rules. I’ll do my best.

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:23 pm
CPapNinja wrote:
My questions are: can I use the new machine I was sent after the recall or will the modem trigger something in the drs office. Also, is there any way to get the machine set up to the pounds I need without going through a drs office. I also do not, for some reason have an SD card. The machine will turn on and function.
It's not "pounds" but you can set the pressure yourself once you learn how to get into the clinical menu setup area.
That's easy.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

You can use any old generic SD card....I got mine at WalMart. It's for data storage only.

It would be helpful to know which brand and model machine you are using.
Thanks. I believe I just went in and added my machine in my profile. It is a dream station 2. I never knew it wasn’t called pounds because that’s what my sleep doctor would say. Hah. I should be at 17. I believe the machine operates at 20 currently. Do I NEED an SD card? If I’m just using it at me leisure I don’t really care to save any information. Will simply operating the machine trigger any called or raise any flags. I turned it on and it logged a modem message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:04 pm

CPapNinja wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:50 pm
I never knew it wasn’t called pounds because that’s what my sleep doctor would say. Hah.

Well....to my mind someone who is a doctor should know correct terminology. :lol: :lol:
I mean if I know correct terms....so should my medical care team.
CPapNinja wrote:
Do I NEED an SD card?
Well.. No....not if you don't want to know if your therapy is working well or not and just don't care to see anything beyond what limited data is available on the machine's LCD screen.
Your choice.
CPapNinja wrote:
Will simply operating the machine trigger any called or raise any flags. I turned it on and it logged a modem message.
It will probably send whatever it sends to the Respironics website but your doctor will have to make an effort to go get that data and it is unlikely he will bother.
It's not sent directly to any doctor. The doc has to go to the website and get it...most docs won't go to that much trouble for established patients who aren't complaining about something.

If it bugs you...can you turn on airplane mode so it can't transmit?

I am not all that familiar with the DreamStation models so I don't know the specifics. I used to with past models but I quit following Respironics with the recall.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:13 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:04 pm
CPapNinja wrote:
I never knew it wasn’t called pounds because that’s what my sleep doctor would say. Hah.

Well....to my mind someone who is a doctor should know correct terminology. :lol: :lol:
I mean if I know correct terms....so should my medical care team.
CPapNinja wrote:
Do I NEED an SD card?
Well.. No....not if you don't want to know if your therapy is working well or not and just don't care to see anything beyond what limited data is available on the machine's LCD screen.
Your choice.
CPapNinja wrote:
Will simply operating the machine trigger any called or raise any flags. I turned it on and it logged a modem message.
It will probably send whatever it sends to the Respironics website but your doctor will have to make an effort to go get that data and it is unlikely he will bother.
It's not sent directly to any doctor. The doc has to go to the website and get it...most docs won't go to that much trouble for established patients who aren't complaining about something.

If it bugs you...can you turn on airplane mode so it can't transmit?

I am not all that familiar with the DreamStation models so I don't know the specifics. I used to with past models but I quit following Respironics with the recall.
Thank you. Very helpful. I also believe one of the links you posted will actually show me how to set the machine up myself, though I may have to enter a code incorrectly 8 times to get a factory reset triggered? I don’t care too much for the analytics of it all. I know when I started my initial reads were that I was not breathing for 20 seconds twice per minute. Once my “pounds😂” were adjusted properly I rarely had any incidents or not breathing. I will turn it to airplane mode. I’d like this to function as if it never exists.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 pm

You might want to request the provider/clinical manual from the apneaboard site I linked to above.
That manual will explain your options and there's a lot more than just how to set the pressures.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:40 pm

CPapNinja wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:45 pm

and i see by the rest of your comments that you really don't give a damn about effective therapy.

so i'll shut up and let you go about it, whatever it is you wish to accomplish.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:33 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:40 pm
CPapNinja wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:45 pm

and i see by the rest of your comments that you really don't give a damn about effective therapy.

so i'll shut up and let you go about it, whatever it is you wish to accomplish.
That’s a great attitude. Usually what I expect when I come to a place like this…😐. What about my comments says I don’t care about effective therapy? I’m trying to figure out how to set up and operate the machine without the use of a Dr…. And here’s a news flash…. I’m not a sleep therapist, so my assumption is to set the pressure to 17 where I’ve had it set for the last 10 years. Aside from that, if there’s more I need to know, well that’s why I’m here.

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:46 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 pm
You might want to request the provider/clinical manual from the apneaboard site I linked to above.
That manual will explain your options and there's a lot more than just how to set the pressures.
Well, aside from setting pressure what else is there? I’ve never had anything adjusted other than pressure. Isn’t the machine just continual pressure? I mean I know about ramp time and humidity etc but if there’s more technical stuff I have no idea.

CPapNinja

Post by CPapNinja » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:36 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:31 pm
So I was able to get in to the clinician setting with no passcode. I set my pressure to 17 and I just have to set the FLEX which I forgot about. I believe I have some old paperwork from when everything was running great and I think I can find my flex setting there. I set the unit to airplane mode so it should have no contact with anyone? If I’m sleeping smoothly I’ll wing it and see how it goes, but based off what you’ve said so far I imagine there’s ways for me to see my own reading and I’ll pick up from there if I have any problems. I have to say this was much easier than I thought and you were very helpful. I appreciate it. Thank you very much. If there is anything aside from pressure ramp humidity and flex, I don’t know what it is and there no clinician setting for anything else, so I think I’m good but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tec5

Post by Tec5 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:16 am

Just a question:
As a truck driver, do you have to prove to someone that you are using CPAP to maintain your driving credentials?
Just asking.
I am neither a physician nor a lawyer, so DO NOT rely on me for professional medical or legal advice.