Nightlase or Snorelase for Palatal Prolapse

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
flappypalate

Nightlase or Snorelase for Palatal Prolapse

Post by flappypalate » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried Nightlase or Snorelase to address their palatal prolapse issues and if they had any success?
I'm hesitant to fully commit to UPPP surgery and this seems like a good middle ground between the AlaxoStent and surgery.

chunkyfrog

Re: Nightlase or Snorelase for Palatal Prolapse

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:52 am

Get a second opinion--from a non-surgeon.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:41 am

flappypalate wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:18 pm
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried Nightlase or Snorelase to address their palatal prolapse issues and if they had any success?
I'm hesitant to fully commit to UPPP surgery and this seems like a good middle ground between the AlaxoStent and surgery.
Are you using CPAP?

flappypalate

Post by flappypalate » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:52 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:41 am
Are you using CPAP?
Yes, I am currently using CPAP but have run into new issues after years of usage. I have lost 50 lbs and my pressure requirements seem all over the place.
Plus I've developed what seems to be an obstruction while exhaling.
Unfortunately my machine does not have detailed graphing so I've been adjusting pressures based on feel but I keep waking up to apneas every single time I fall asleep and it doesn't seem like any pressure changes that fact.
I've tried EPR off and on to no avail, I have basically not been sleeping at all for over 3 weeks.
I've seen an ENT and all he sees is a tongue problem and refused to investigate further regardless of my exhalation issue until I get a new sleep study done. I understand he wants to rule out other causes first.
Unfortunately things in Canada move very slowly and I have been waiting for a sleep study for months now.
I am trying to buy a new machine at this moment but I am also considering all options, very desperate right now.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:08 pm

flappypalate wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:52 pm
I am trying to buy a new machine at this moment but I am also considering all options, very desperate right now.
I hope you can get a new machine soon. Which model (exact) do you have now?

flappypalate

Post by flappypalate » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:13 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:08 pm
I hope you can get a new machine soon. Which model (exact) do you have now?
I have the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP. I just finished a new HSAT last night and actually managed to get some sleep off the CPAP but my heart does not feel good at all.
I have a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset that I am borrowing now from the CPAP providers and they plan on assisting with titration.
But every time I've started my CPAP machine recently the pressure sends me into an overwhelming panic for some reason even on the lowest pressure, it is incredibly strange considering I had been using the machine fine for 5 years.
I have no idea what is going on, perhaps I do not need CPAP anymore and any pressure is too much pressure but I am still having apneas while sleeping without the CPAP.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:56 pm

flappypalate wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:13 pm
I have a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset that I am borrowing now from the CPAP providers and they plan on assisting with titration.
You can get help in this thread. If you go into the clinical menu and report the settings back here, we can get a general idea of what might be wrong. You can find out how to use the machine display and reports by finding your model on YouTube.

Most of the regulars here titrate their own therapy. It's quicker and more accurate than depending on the medical profession.

flappypalate

Post by flappypalate » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:33 pm

I managed to get 1 hour in last night thankfully.
Any idea what these clear airway events are? Any tips on pressure settings would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:39 am

flappypalate wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:33 pm
Any idea what these clear airway events are?
You weren't asleep during that cluster of CAs. Think of them as false positives and they mean nothing except you weren't sound asleep.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cvelee

Post by cvelee » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:17 pm

I had 2 sessions of nightlase for palatal prolapse.

Didn't help much. It did contract palate a bit, but pharynx was still not visible. Ahi remained the same (~5 on 6.6-8.6cm, no EPR).

Then I decided to do something more radical - somnoplasty (other names are RFTVR, ablation/coblation, stiffening, channeling). Even more radical than standard 3 puncture 1100J total somnoplasty. I got 9 punctures and around 2500-3000J total.Now it is more than 3 weeks post op, wounds/ulcers slowly healed, but palate is still saggy in the evening (yet much more firm) and I can see my pharynx (Mallampati 2-3). AHI dropped ~10-20% for now (but it can be statistical noise). Yet full results I expect in to see in mid January.

Btw I have some side effects - somewhat like dry palate?! It always feels so dry now. Uncomfortable but I do not care. I was mostly afraid of velopharyngeal insufficiency - but thankfully no signs of this (and ENT told me that it doesn't happen with somnoplasty).

If it turns out to be of low effectiveness I will rinse/repeat :)