It broke!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pittnuke

It broke!

Post by pittnuke » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:57 pm

Hi all,

First off thank you to everyone who reads this post and provides some advice. I appreciate any ideas. So here is/was my problem.

I was originally diagnosed in Sept 2017 and i was happily sleeping along with my Airsense 10 Autoset for almost 6 full years. Then in August my machine "died" and was giving me an error code 004. I have since then gotten a new machine, and have been put on a set pressure of 9.0. Good sleep has returned after almost 2 months.
Now that I have time and a working brain again, i wanted to see about fixing my old CPAP. This is mostly to have a spare in case a similar thing happens to the new one at some point. But additionally I want to have it as my travel cpap, so that i'm not endangering my good machine. This is due to needing this for my job. I work as a control room supervisor at a nuclear plant and use of the machine is a restriction on my license to operate the plant.

1. Can i fix this myself (yes i am technically savy, i was an electronic tech in the US Navy and can solder, troubleshoot, etc). No i would rather not pay almost $400 dollars to fix my machine. not to have it as a backup
2. I understand the calibration may not be correct. I will confirm with OSCAR that i'm being properly control and adjust the spare machine as necessary
3. If i need a new motherboard, has anyone successfully found a place to buy a replacement. The medical industry does not like anyone else in their piece of the pie. I own the machine, its my health, if i want to fix it then let me.

What say you all. Is this a reasonable task? Does anyone have a circuit schematic or part numbers/suppliers?

Again i appreciate you all taking the time to read/respond.

Cheers

Ryan

amenite

Re: It broke!

Post by amenite » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:26 pm

I have no idea where to get a main board for it, but these folks have a decent set of steps/walkthru for accomplishing the task if you ever find one:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ResMed+Air ... ent/150423

I got a pretty decent kit from them to do a smart phone battery replacement and it went well. Sadly as you mentioned, it being a medical device and all will be hard to come by.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:05 am

pittnuke wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:57 pm
Is this a reasonable task?
Probably not.

Buy an identical machine from the used market.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:08 am

pittnukie wrote:
Is this a reasonable task?
Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:05 am
Probably not.
Let's hope he isn't taking this approach to fixing nuclear stuff he has no qualifications for. :lol:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:10 pm

Buy a second hand machine--many have low "mileage".

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:28 pm

pittnuke wrote:

1. Can i fix this myself (yes i am technically savy, i was an electronic tech in the US Navy and can solder, troubleshoot, etc). No i would rather not pay almost $400 dollars to fix my machine. not to have it as a backup
ryan, i know next to nothing re: repairing cpap machines. but there's a fellah on here every now and then who knows some stuff. the following may look weird but i'm hoping to conjure him.
palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:53 pm

whadaya say, palerider?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 am

I've been summoned, it seems. Thanks for the ping, your zonkerness. I'm around, I just haven't been following every thread as much lately. :)
pittnuke wrote:
2. I understand the calibration may not be correct. I will confirm with OSCAR that i'm being properly control and adjust the spare machine as necessary
3. If i need a new motherboard, has anyone successfully found a place to buy a replacement. The medical industry does not like anyone else in their piece of the pie. I own the machine, its my health, if i want to fix it then let me.
1) Maybe, it depends on what an 004 error code means and that I don't have, thought I might have seen something obscure somewhere in one of my multitude of open tabs that *might* give a hint, but I can't locate it right now, and it's late and I've been wrestling with a recalcitrant database (I won, btw).
2) calibration would require software that nobody except service centers have, so let's hope it's ok.
3) nope, best possibility is to find another broken one and put together parts.

What, if anything, does your machine do when plugged in? did you get another Air10 machine or something else. if the same, have you tried the new power supply on the old machine, etc.

I've got three Airsense 10 machines in various stages of disassembly on my bench at the moment, I need to get the innerds cleaned up and get that space back. :sigh:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:41 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 am
I've been summoned, it seems. Thanks for the ping, your zonkerness. I'm around, I just haven't been following every thread as much lately. :)
8)

i may not know much, but i DO know how to yell for the folks what do!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

amenite

Post by amenite » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:10 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:15 am
1) Maybe, it depends on what an 004 error code means and that I don't have, thought I might have seen something obscure somewhere in one of my multitude of open tabs that *might* give a hint
These folks are saying main board over temp, I have no reason to doubt them. And also no clue where to get a new main board.

https://cpap-repair.com/resmed-airsense ... -messages/

IMO probably more trouble than it's worth. If it were me I'd find a lightly used replacement for travel.