Why Your DME Requires an Annual Prescription

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Why Your DME Requires an Annual Prescription

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:00 pm

Noridian Medicare Services administers services for Medicare and is the largest trainer of DMEs. Noridian's training for DMEs includes instructions that current prescriptions must be on hand to prevent claim denials. See - https://youtu.be/AFT--8YVafs?si=40eWkiaGUIGhHFDH&t=25

Movieman

Re: Why Your DME Requires an Annual Prescription

Post by Movieman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:28 pm

I am not on Medicare, but BC/BS requires the same annual prescription. I found this out last year when I got some CPAP supplies denied. I just had to have my doc send a new prescription to DME and then they filed the claim again and got paid. DME doesn't warn me either when prescription is going to run out. It was a pain, but at least I didn't get charged extra.

Don't most sites that sell CPAP supplies require a prescription on file yearly as well even if insurance doesn't pay? I seem to remember I need a prescription on file with cpap.com. It might only be for the mask. I can buy hoses and filters on Amazon with no prescription. :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:35 pm

Movieman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:28 pm
Don't most sites that sell CPAP supplies require a prescription on file yearly as well even if insurance doesn't pay? I
I don't know about other online suppliers because I have mainly used cpap.com over the years but my RX that they have on file covers machine and any mask of my choice and it is dated Aug 2009.
Cpap.com does NOT require a new RX unless for some reason the RX has an expiration date on it....mine doesn't...it's good for 99 years.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Movieman

Post by Movieman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:59 pm

I don't know about other online suppliers because I have mainly used cpap.com over the years but my RX that they have on file covers machine and any mask of my choice and it is dated Aug 2009.
Cpap.com does NOT require a new RX unless for some reason the RX has an expiration date on it....mine doesn't...it's good for 99 years.
Oh, so my prescription has an expiration date then. Thanks for the information. I also mainly use cpap.com. I will ask my doctor to not include an expiration date. I wonder if he will agree. I have a feeling he does it on purpose so I see him annually. LOL

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:06 pm

Movieman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:59 pm
I have a feeling he does it on purpose so I see him annually.
Some docs are like that. I just this month fired my PCP for being "like that".
I have only had her for about a year and never been happy with her anyway.
Didn't take much for me to give her the boot.
BTW....had nothing at all to do with cpap stuff.
I haven't see a sleep doc since August 2009.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:06 pm

Movieman wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:59 pm
I will ask my doctor to not include an expiration date. I wonder if he will agree.
If he doesn't then its time to find another and get a copy.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:31 pm

My state requires a yearly prescription. Fortunately, my PCP is willing to write it because she knows how important it is to my health. Unfortunately, my Medicare advantage plan said that wasn't good enough, they insisted I need a new sleep study before they will cover anything cpap related. I am not up for going through another sleep study (worse night of my life) so I just pay my own way, as I always have before. The online sources I buy from have not required updated prescriptions.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:55 pm

ILoveFlowers wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:31 pm
Unfortunately, my Medicare advantage plan said that wasn't good enough
ILoveFlowers wrote:
so I just pay my own way, as I always have before.
So your "Advantage" plan isn't really saving you anything.

Time to look elsewhere - viewtopic/t187337/Medicare-Open-Enrollment-is-Here.html
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:22 pm

I have a feeling he does it on purpose so I see him annually. LOL
I always get the impression that sleep doctors don't really want to see patients at all. That's why they went into sleep medicine, so their patients, for the most part, are asleep and can't talk back. :lol:

SleepGeek said
Time to look elsewhere - viewtopic/t187337/Medicare-Open-Enrollment-is-Here.html
Be careful! https://insurify.com/health-insurance/k ... nrollment.
When you first enroll in Medicare, you get a signup period called “guaranteed issue rights.” This means you can enroll in a Medigap plan without medical underwriting.

Medical underwriting is the process of figuring out a person’s health insurance premium. It’s based on several factors, including their health. It also means that a healthcare insurer can deny coverage to people who don’t meet health standards.

Outside of your initial enrollment period, you’re not offered “guaranteed issue rights.” That means you’d be subject to medical underwriting. For people with pre-existing conditions, this means more expensive monthly premiums. Even denial of coverage.
See also https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-qa ... itions.html
Everyone 65 and older on Medicare qualifies for these protections, known as guaranteed issue rights, for the six-month period after you enroll in Medicare Part B benefits. That means insurance companies cannot refuse to sell you a Medigap policy or charge you higher premiums based on your current health or medical conditions. Some people qualify beyond that time frame; see details below.

If you apply for a Medigap policy when you don’t have a guaranteed issue right, you’ll usually have to answer questions about your health. An insurer may reject you or charge more if you’ve had certain medical conditions, usually within the past two years. But the conditions, timeframe and effect on your coverage can vary a lot by insurer and state.
Contrary to popular belief, underwriting is still permitted for Medicare when switching plans after your initial enrollment period. https://www.aarp.org/health/health-insu ... akes.html Be sure to talk to your state's SHIP or HICAP about this before deciding to switch.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:23 pm

ILoveFlowers wrote:
Unfortunately, my Medicare advantage plan said that wasn't good enough, they insisted I need a new sleep study before they will cover anything cpap related.
That's strange. Did you get this information directly from the insurance company? Or the doctor's office? Or a lying DME?

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:17 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:23 pm
ILoveFlowers wrote:
Unfortunately, my Medicare advantage plan said that wasn't good enough, they insisted I need a new sleep study before they will cover anything cpap related.
That's strange. Did you get this information directly from the insurance company? Or the doctor's office? Or a lying DME?
Very Strange which is why SleepGeek said
SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:55 pm
ILoveFlowers wrote:
Unfortunately, my Medicare advantage plan said that wasn't good enough
ILoveFlowers wrote:
so I just pay my own way, as I always have before.
SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:17 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:08 pm
First - Visit shiphelp.org to get the phone number for your state.
Then make sure the plan you choose will cover your cpap supplies and any meds you take today.
AND be sure any & all docs you see are on the plan you choose.

Can you use the plan if/when you travel? Some are only ER visits.

I know with many *Advantage* Plans if you move (even to another county) you will need to choose another plan all over again.

Get a notebook and write down your questions before you call.
What I have never recommended is any Advantage Plan because it can cause other problems mentioned above by Jan.

Explore your Medicare coverage options
https://www.medicare.gov/plan-compare/# ... &year=2024
They are here to help.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:36 am

UNDERWRITING will cost you if you want to change your supplement (not part D).
Apnea is only one of MANY conditions that trigger this requirement.
And the penalties are forever!

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:44 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:23 pm
Yes, that was from the insurance company. It's about time to choose the plan for this year, I'm going to see if there's a better one available.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:08 pm

Just this weekend I was in Vegas at my daughter's house when my short hose developed a leak. It was the only replacement part I didn't have with me. Went to a local cpap store and they wanted $55 for the short hose. :shock: but they let me buy the full mask kit for $104. No prescription needed. 🤷‍♀️ I thought prescriptions were required for a full mask. Apparently not in Nevada.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:11 pm

Check out a Truck Stop or pharmacy next time for masks and other cpap supplies.
They are here to help.