Rookie mistake, tossed my other masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dorsy28

Rookie mistake, tossed my other masks

Post by dorsy28 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:45 pm

I started my therapy in July. My DME guy was amazing, set me up with an Airsense 11 and full Resmed masks (he gave me the F30, the N30 and the Airtouch F20). I was a mouth breather my entire life, now in my 6th decade. As a nurse, I know the issues with untreated apnea. I tried the F30 and really hated it, since every time I opened my mouth the air came out like an air fire hose, waking me up. I then tried the F20, and really liked it. It helped with my congestion and mouth breathing, but never really fit, and I started getting blisters after a few days, no matter what I tried (tiny little nose bridge, small face). I went back to the F30 to avoid the nose coverage, but still felt like I wasn't getting enough air, even going so far as to enlarge the nostril openings.

Here's my newbie mistake: I tossed everything except for the N30i. All the frames, everything. In hindsight, I should have at least saved them for someone else, but this whole thing was new to me, and not going to lie, I was a little sad I needed CPAP at all.

Fast forward a few months, and I love the N30i nasal masks. Great results, sleeping well, wearing it for up to 7 hours without issues. Occasional but minimal leaks. Good to go! Oddly enough, I no longer mouth breathe at all (correlation or causation?). Until I got a bad cold this week, and can't breathe through my nose at all (deviated septum etc). I feel like I'm suffocating. I adjusted my EFR to 3, my settings are an 8 on ramp, humidity increased to 5 to see if that helped, but I end up taking the whole thing off after a few hours.

Here's the question: does anyone shop for used masks/frames/cushions etc for an F30? I feel like the rookie mistake was tossing all those early set ups like a goob, and I wish I had saved EVERYTHING, especially now since I've acclimated to stuff on my face. I've been shopping for some, but all are pretty pricey. I've been trying to reach my guy for weeks, even leaving messages with the main office. He's in the wind for 3 weeks. I don't really want to completely switch, just get a replacement option for these instances.

FYI, this group has been a lifesaver. I appreciate all the comments/questions. Y'all have really helped with my journey. Sorry for the lengthy post!

ILoveFlowers

Re: Rookie mistake, tossed my other masks

Post by ILoveFlowers » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:42 pm

It can be pretty tough to use the cpap when you are congested with a cold.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

ILoveFlowers

Post by ILoveFlowers » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:49 pm

Sorry, hit submit too soon.

I have tended to do the opposite, hanging on to every mask and part over the years. I finally threw out 14 years worth of masks and parts this year. I found that my initial impressions were pretty spot-on and I never ended up using the masks that didn't work again. (I did pass a couple of them on to others, but most weren't up to date or in a condition where I'd want to pass them on.) There were times I'd try them again because I was frustrated with my current mask but I invariably would be bothered by the same issues that first bothered me with them.
AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her
Airfit P10 mask

Ebonyeyez

Post by Ebonyeyez » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:12 pm

The respiratory therapist at the sleep study clinic where I went suggested to me at the beginning to keep all masks I’ve tried. I’m a year in and have accumulated nasal pillows and 2 types of nasal masks. I currently use and is happy with the f30i. I’ve been holding on to the other masks but don’t see myself going back to using them, particularly with a chin strap in the foreseeable future. So I guess in another year I’ll probably toss them.