alignment of F30 "ports" with nares

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

alignment of F30 "ports" with nares

Post by dataq1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:00 pm

Has anyone found a way to align the airway holes on the F30 cushion with actual location of their nares?
(I am trying out the F30 versus F432 mask)
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Re: alignment of F30 "ports" with nares

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:43 am

I use the F30i. When sized and adjusted properly, these masks align with the nasal openings. Nothing to figure out.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:23 pm

I was asking about the F30, the f30i appears to be a different design.
Are there "holes"or "ports" in the cushion (silicone seal) of the F30i? (I can't tell from the marketing images)
Last edited by dataq1 on Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:50 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:23 pm
I was asking about the F30, the f30i is a different design
The mouth and nostril components in the two masks are identical. When either mask is sized and adjusted properly, it will align with the nasal openings. Nothing to figure out.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:57 pm

----unless your nose is alarmingly different from the average schnozz.
(Ref: The Twilight Zone)
:shock:

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:09 pm

I was fitted/sized for the medium F30 by the DME, They did a leak check and adjusted the headgear. (at home I tried the smaller cushion and the larger cushion but the medium seemed best)

Now, this is why I'm asking:
For years I've been using a FP 432 that surrounds the mouth and nose (that is to say there is no silicone that is between the upper lip and the nares).

So, after fitting with the F30, I found that the unintentional leaks were greatly reduced. However, I also observed that it took more effort to inhale (as compared with the F432). [at the same pressure setting on my airsense 11)
When I shift the F30's position slightly to make it easier to inhale, I'll get leaks. If I shift it back to stop the leaks, it takes more effort to inhale.

One of the possible causes is that the "no leak" position causes the nasal ports to be partially occluding the nare.
That is why I'm asking about how to observe correct alignment of the nasal ports.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:25 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:09 pm
I tried the smaller cushion and the larger cushion
I always advise to start with the large pillows because the larger holes allow for more air flow.

IF/when the pillow goes inside the nares that does reduce the area for air to flow by.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:11 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:25 pm
IF/when the pillow goes inside the nares that does reduce the area for air to flow by.
Just to be clear, with this mask, nothing "goes inside the nares", rather there are two windows cut out of the silicone seal that presumably are to be aligned with the nares openings.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:50 pm

dataq1 wrote:
However, I also observed that it took more effort to inhale (as compared with the F432).
That's while you are awake. You probably inhale easily and rhythmically when asleep. A mask opening about the size of one-half of a typical drinking straw for each nostril is sufficient. (But too small for running.🏃‍♀️)

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:58 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:50 pm
That's while you are awake.
Yes, that is what I'm comparing when I said the F30 took more effort (while trying to sleep) versus the F432 (while trying to sleep).
It takes about twice as long to enter sleep and I found that the only way I can get to sleep with the F30 is by breathing through my mouth. I did not have this issue with the the F432.
So I'm trying to understand what and why of the difference.

The first thing that occurred to me was that the 432 has nothing under the nose that might restrict airflow to the nares, while the F30 relies on "windows" or "ports" cut into the silicone.
You probably inhale easily and rhythmically when asleep. A mask opening about the size of one-half of a typical drinking straw for each nostril is sufficient.
( I assume you mean one-half the inside diameter of the typical drinking straw, that would be approx about one-eighth inch)

When you've been used to nare opening of ~ one-quarter inch, it's going to be difficult to get used to a much smaller opening.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:10 pm

dataq1 wrote:
I was fitted/sized for the medium F30 by the DME, They did a leak check and adjusted the headgear. (at home I tried the smaller cushion and the larger cushion but the medium seemed best)
According to Resmed https://shop.resmed.com.au/products/air ... 8576844098 the Airfit 30 only has a small and a medium cushion.

Which makes me wonder which mask frame and cushions you're using. Are you sure you have the right cushion for the right frame?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:28 pm

I experienced the same problem. I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that you can cut the silicone to enlarge the holes. As well someone said to use a punch to make the holes instead of scissors. I used cuticle scissors, but I couldn't cut evenly enough and the silicone ripped at the place of the
imperfect "cut", after I used the cushion a few times. But after the holes were enlarged, I had no problem with the breathing even when breathing heavily.

Say what you like about the straw--the one thing I like about the F20/F30 is that large breathing hole in the mask where the elbow connects and seemingly lack of restriction, usually, to the air going into the nose.

What can be helpful is to put on the mask in front of a mirror, toss your head back and in the mirror, look up the breathing hole in the mask. You can see quite quite clearly if the silicone obstructs the nose holes (nares?) and where the silicone needs to be cut. I carefully took off the mask and marked the silicone with a marker (I might have used a ball point pen?) where I thought the silicone should be cut out and then I put the mask back on to check that the lines were accurate. The first time the marks were "backwards" because in the mirror everything is reversed. Checking in the mirror also fine tunes the silicone material to be removed. I think I did the marking and checking 3 or 4 times until I was happy with the marks on the silicone.

(I have rotated to the F20 touch and have not looked back)
I still have an F30 and a new cushion in case the bridge of my nose gets badly irritated.
Last edited by tyrinryan on Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:56 am

ozij wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:10 pm
Which makes me wonder which mask frame and cushions you're using. Are you sure you have the right cushion for the right frame?
I think the two cushions (small and medium) both are used with the same frame, so I'm fairly confident that I have the appropriate frame.

On looking at what I said above, I realize that I could have been more precise in my wording.
at home I tried the smaller cushion and the larger cushion but the medium seemed best
I could have been clearer had I said: "at home I tried both the small and the medium cushions, and the larger of the two (the medium) seemed best"
Sorry
I was never offered a "Large-sized" F30 cushion, and now I know why!

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:42 pm

tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:28 pm
I experienced the same problem. I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that you can cut the silicone to enlarge the holes. As well someone said to use a punch to make the holes instead of scissors. I used scissors, but I couldn't cut evenly enough and the silicone ripped at the place of the
imperfect "cut", after I used the cushion a few times. But after the holes were enlarged, I had no problem with the breathing even when breathing heavily.

Say what you like about the straw--the one thing I like about the F20/F30 is that large breathing hole in the elbow and seemingly lack of restriction, usually, to the air going into the nose.

What can be helpful is to put on the mask in front of a mirror, toss your head back and in the mirror, look up the breathing hole in the elbow. You can see quite quite clearly if the silicone obstructs the nose holes (nares?) and where the silicone needs to be cut. I carefully took off the mask and marked the silicone with a marker where I thought the silicone should be cut out and then I put the mask back on to check that the lines were accurate. The first time the marks were "backwards" because in the mirror everything is reversed. Checking in the mirror also fine tunes the silicone material to be removed. I think I did the marking and checking 3 or 4 times until I was happy with the marks on the silicone.

(I have rotated to the F20 touch and have not looked back)
I still have an F30 and a new cushion in case the bridge of my nose gets badly irritated.
I’ll work on this method tonight. Thanks glad to hear that someone else is experiencing this situation.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:52 pm

You can see quite quite clearly if the silicone obstructs the nose holes (nares?) and where the silicone needs to be cut.
That is what I was meaning when I mentioned the size of pillows above. Airway restriction.

Would fingernail clippers work on something like this? I'm sure it's not easy.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?